Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost ready to purchase my first pair of homing pigeons, and I've found someone who has quality birds that are from '08. I'm hoping they will give me some squeakers early next year or late this year. I was wondering about re-training, is it possible to re-train these birds to fly to my loft? I don't necessarily want to race the birds, but I would like to let 'em fly around the nieghborhood. They've been trained a little bit, I think the farthest they've flown is around 50 miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I'm almost ready to purchase my first pair of homing pigeons, and I've found someone who has quality birds that are from '08. I'm hoping they will give me some squeakers early next year or late this year. I was wondering about re-training, is it possible to re-train these birds to fly to my loft? I don't necessarily want to race the birds, but I would like to let 'em fly around the nieghborhood. They've been trained a little bit, I think the farthest they've flown is around 50 miles. Thanks!
How far away is the person you're getting the birds from. Re-homing is not usually advised, BUT, if you aren't too far from their home and can go get them WHEN they go back "home"........you could try re-homing them and see what happens. They might stay, they might not, but if they are close enough to go home if they DON'T stay and you can get them back, it would be worth a shot. Having said that.........even if they stay the first time out and the second and the third.........one day they might just decide to go back home anyway.
IMO, you're better off starting with squeakers and homing them to your loft.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
widowhood perhaps?

They're former home is probably about an hour away so it wouldn't be all that bad if I had to go pick them up. I've done some reading, and was thinking that by training them with the Widowhood method it would give them more reason to return to my loft. What do you think? I'm planning on training the squeakers they'd put out to home in on my loft, and I was also thinkin that if they flew with their kids, back to a waiting mate, it would give them full incentive.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
They're former home is probably about an hour away so it wouldn't be all that bad if I had to go pick them up. I've done some reading, and was thinking that by training them with the Widowhood method it would give them more reason to return to my loft. What do you think? I'm planning on training the squeakers they'd put out to home in on my loft, and I was also thinkin that if they flew with their kids, back to a waiting mate, it would give them full incentive.
if you are up to going and getting the bird, it would not hurt to try it...who knows you may not have to go get him.....I would like to know how it turns out though...I would let the pre owner know when you fly him as if he does go home they could have a lookout for him and open the trap for him....good luck!:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Normally if the birds have been flown it might be a good idea to keep the birds in your loft for atleast 6 months and then give it a try. Hope that helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts