Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some of you might like to know that a cardboard box full of banded roller pigeons was left to die on the side of the road. They were thrown out with all the trash that is dumped there on a quiet road. The location was Poplar Hill Road in Pelham NH That location borders Dracut MA, Methuen MA and Salem NH. The police called me because we are known here in town as the "pigeon" people. We have racers and rollers and they always call us if they find banded birds. I have to say that it made me sick when I arrived at the scene. There was 20 birds, 2 were dead and the rest are complete skin and bones. I have no idea how long ago they were dumped. It was pouring rain out so we were able to catch them. Most were too weak to run anyway. Even in their condition, they are nice looking birds. Various colors-solid black, black white flight, grizzel, reds, etc. I guess they were unwanted by their owner but I just can't see leaving them for a slow death in a box. Why would someone do that? HOW could someone do that??? I have them here at my loft in a pen I have for sick or found birds. Not the ideal setup for 20 birds but it is better than where they were. I put some straw for them to lay down on and of course gave them food and water. They probably think I'm a nut in there talking to them LOL They seemed to understand they were being rescued. I have had no luck in my search for their previous owner. Maybe some of you here can help me. I have no idea what I am going to do if I even find out who did it???? I just feel like this person should be exposed...it was an awful thing to do. Maybe the roller club they belong to should know about what happenes to unwanted birds?? I know you people here are pigeon lovers and you will probable feel as I do about those poor pigeons. I wanted to cry when I saw them. They looked so pathetic! All wet, confused, starving and scared...it sickened me.

18 were banded, 2 not banded and 2 dead (I did not write down their band numbers-should have).

Here are the band numbers of the live ones:
FLRC 2005 530
FLRC 2005 525
FLRC 2005 501
FLRC 2005 532
FLRC 2005 531
FLRC 2004 369
FLRC 2004 329
FLRC 2004 408 BAND #2 JOHN 585 335 8515
FLRC 2004 404 BAND #2 JOHN 585 335 8515
FLRC 2003 0209
FLRC 2003 0276
NBRC 2002 U0964
NBRC 2002 U0966
NBRC 2002 U0950
BPNPA 96 917 OLD METAL BAND
DHS ROLLERS 2005 520 585 7421 1115

I wasn't sure where to post this...hope this was the right place??? Should it have went in found pigeons???

Thank you in advance for your help.
Patti

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
A similar thing happened here last winter...Fantails were dumped in Mt Hood National Forest. Luckily for them a Forest Ranger found them....they were huddled together on the ground and in the snow...totally bewildered. Of the 36, 18 survived.
It makes me so mad, I feel like the top of my head could explode.
Bless you for taking them in. I hope the person that did this is found.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I obviously can't be of any help from over here, I wish I could, but I just wanted to say thank goodness you have them now and at least they stand a chance.

Last year I found 12 banded birds, all with their necks wrung thrown over the fence into our local park. It is unbelievable that anyone who at some time wanted these birds couldn't care enough about them to at least give them to a rescue place or vets so they could be found a safe place. Their circumstances could have altered drastically that they had to let them go , but this...... so sad,

Good luck with them.

Janet

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
OOOHHH the things this makes me wish I could do to the person who did this!!!!

Deep breath.

I have to remind myself that other powers that be will take care of him/her in due time. . .and that what goes around, comes around.

I'm so sorry for these pigeons. Thank God you have them and are able to give them the life they deserve. I will hope and pray for their speedy recovery, physical and emotional!

·
Registered
279 Posts
ohhh, patti - thank god the birdlings found their way to you. it made me so angry to read that, and a little misty , too. having a house pigeon, the idea of leaving a bird in a box to be thrown out like so much garbage just crushes me.

trooper and i will be sending good thoughts your way for the little sweeties. and very foul bad thoughts to the you-know-what that did this to them. so sick, i can only hope they get 'theirs' someday soon.

and i think if the bands are traceable, you should follow up. i would - with a vengeance. maybe call a local news show, and have an investigator run with the story? i would definitely make it public knowledge.

do keep us posted on the goings on. wish i was closer....:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your support!

Thanks to all of you! I am trying to trace the bands. I have tried "google" for FLRC and DHS Rollers with no hits at all. I think Finger Lakes Roller Club is one but can't find any info at all about the club. I called and left a voice mail for the 2 bands that have phone numbers. Both numbers are NY area codes. I don't think either of them drove from NY to dump the birds here in NH but they might know who they gave the birds to. I have yet to contact the NBRC but I'm in the process of doing that.

Patti

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Patti, I share the feelings of other people here. I am so glad the birds were found before they died of starvation and that somebody caring, like you, has them now. It also makes me very angry to think that a human being can be so cruel to let helpless pigeons slowly suffer, and getting away with this. As somebody else said, this atrocity should be made public, hopefully with pictures of the birds. Somebody may recognize the birds and expose the criminal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That is a horrible thing for some one to do, bless you loving heart.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Thought some of you might like to know that a cardboard box full of banded roller pigeons was left to die on the side of the road. They were thrown out with all the trash that is dumped there on a quiet road. The location was Poplar Hill Road in Pelham NH That location borders Dracut MA, Methuen MA and Salem NH. The police called me because we are known here in town as the "pigeon" people. We have racers and rollers and they always call us if they find banded birds. I have to say that it made me sick when I arrived at the scene. There was 20 birds, 2 were dead and the rest are complete skin and bones. I have no idea how long ago they were dumped. It was pouring rain out so we were able to catch them. Most were too weak to run anyway. Even in their condition, they are nice looking birds. Various colors-solid black, black white flight, grizzel, reds, etc. I guess they were unwanted by their owner but I just can't see leaving them for a slow death in a box. Why would someone do that? HOW could someone do that??? I have them here at my loft in a pen I have for sick or found birds. Not the ideal setup for 20 birds but it is better than where they were. I put some straw for them to lay down on and of course gave them food and water. They probably think I'm a nut in there talking to them LOL They seemed to understand they were being rescued. I have had no luck in my search for their previous owner. Maybe some of you here can help me. I have no idea what I am going to do if I even find out who did it???? I just feel like this person should be exposed...it was an awful thing to do. Maybe the roller club they belong to should know about what happenes to unwanted birds?? I know you people here are pigeon lovers and you will probable feel as I do about those poor pigeons. I wanted to cry when I saw them. They looked so pathetic! All wet, confused, starving and scared...it sickened me.

18 were banded, 2 not banded and 2 dead (I did not write down their band numbers-should have).

Here are the band numbers of the live ones:
FLRC 2005 530
FLRC 2005 525
FLRC 2005 501
FLRC 2005 532
FLRC 2005 531
FLRC 2004 369
FLRC 2004 329
FLRC 2004 408 BAND #2 JOHN 585 335 8515
FLRC 2004 404 BAND #2 JOHN 585 335 8515
FLRC 2003 0209
FLRC 2003 0276
NBRC 2002 U0964
NBRC 2002 U0966
NBRC 2002 U0950
BPNPA 96 917 OLD METAL BAND
DHS ROLLERS 2005 520 585 7421 1115

I wasn't sure where to post this...hope this was the right place??? Should it have went in found pigeons???

Thank you in advance for your help.
Patti
YOU HAVE THE PHONE NUMBER John, 585-3358515 and 585-7421115 That will get you to the owners Seeems charges could be filed on dumping these birds alive.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
YOU HAVE THE PHONE NUMBER John, 585-3358515 and 585-7421115 That will get you to the owners Seeems charges could be filed on dumping these birds alive.
RE LEE, you know it's not that simple. ESPECIALLY given the years on the bands. Those birds might have been banded by "John", but there's certainly no way to prove that HE dumped the birds and IF HE DID, he would never admit it and he'll just say he gave them away last year, or two years ago.......etc.
If it were as simple as, "he banded them, he's responsible" I would give him a call AND a piece of my mind.
With todays technology, the detectives and what not, could probably figure out where the box came from, where the birds came from and who dumped them, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to put in the man-power/man-hours trying to figure it out.
Believe me, if I could think of a way to find the person who did this and make them pay, I would, but sadly, at the end of the day, we'll probably never know who did this horrible thing.
People shove birds in shipping boxes one on top of another to die and it's KNOWN who did it and something COULD be done about it, but, again, sadly, no one wanted to "cause waves" with the PO.
This is a much harder case to figure out.
I agree on calling the newspapers, TV stations, make a big stink, but at the end of the day, everyone will say how sad it is that this happened and then go on about their business.
IMO, the WHOLE pigeon fancier/sport needs some policing.......but THAT will never happen either. :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did call and leave messages on both of the numbers. They are NY numbers. I doubt that someone would drive from NY to NH to dump birds. Why make the drive to NH when they could dump them in NY? They probably sold or gave them to someone here in NH or MA. I talked to the police there at the scene and they said you have to have proof of who did it. They could just say someone stole them and dumped them. If I get a name I will call the police and give them the information. You can count on that. The birds seem fine, they are resting and all did eat.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I did call and leave messages on both of the numbers. They are NY numbers. I doubt that someone would drive from NY to NH to dump birds. Why make the drive to NH when they could dump them in NY? They probably sold or gave them to someone here in NH or MA. I talked to the police there at the scene and they said you have to have proof of who did it. They could just say someone stole them and dumped them. If I get a name I will call the police and give them the information. You can count on that. The birds seem fine, they are resting and all did eat.
I'm glad you are persuing this and I DO wish that we could even think that it might be possible to hold someone accountable, but I'm afraid that will never happen.
Right now, the outcome for the birds, despite the ass that owned them before, it most important.
Whoever did this WILL pay one day. We'll probably never know when or how, but I believe that you reap what you sow. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with you Renee...if it was a box of puppies or kittens it would be a lot different. I did talk to the NBRC and the owner of 3 of the ones banded NBRC is the same as one of the phone numbers on the bands. I left a message but he never called me back...I am sure these are all breeders because of their age...especially the 1996 one!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Whoever did this WILL pay one day. We'll probably never know when or how, but I believe that you reap what you sow"

I do agree with you on that!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I agree with you Renee...if it was a box of puppies or kittens it would be a lot different. I did talk to the NBRC and the owner of 3 of the ones banded NBRC is the same as one of the phone numbers on the bands. I left a message but he never called me back...I am sure these are all breeders because of their age...especially the 1996 one!!!
I expect they just gave you the name of the person who purchased the bands. Here in the states, no one keeps up with a pigeon once it's sold or given to someone other than the original owner. They're sold at auctions and what not all the time and most don't have a clue who got the bird.
Just last week a got a call from a young girl in Kentucky who had a bird that I sold at an auction down in NC last year. I knew who got the bird, but I have no idea how it wound up in Kentucky. :rolleyes:
She's got the bird now and I sent her a hen for a mate for it. Now a year later, I've changed MY records to reflect who actually has the bird. If it got loose and someone found it, I would get the call and it would be up to me to figure out who actually owns the bird. Not many fanciers will go to the trouble of keeping up with all of thier birds where abouts. I try, but it's pretty much impossible to do sometimes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update!

One of the numbers I called from the bands "John" returned my call. It was his wife and John died in 2006. She has no idea how the bird got to NH. After her husband died she gave the birds to various people in NY...none of which she can recall their last names and doesn't even have their phone numbers anyway. So...that turned out to be a dead end. No pun intended...she was a very nice lady.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
One of the numbers I called from the bands "John" returned my call. It was his wife and John died in 2006. She has no idea how the bird got to NH. After her husband died she gave the birds to various people in NY...none of which she can recall their last names and doesn't even have their phone numbers anyway. So...that turned out to be a dead end. No pun intended...she was a very nice lady.
Well, it was nice of her to call you back anyway. Any chance of getting pictures of these sweet birds? What's going to happen to them once they're well and on their feet (wings) again?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, it was nice of her to call me.

I will try and take some pictures tomorrow or the next day. Not much sun here expected here for the next few days but I will try and take some pictures.

I guess I will keep them. We are in the process of building a third loft so we will have more room soon. I do have rollers myself, although I didn't let them out this year. We have way too many hawks and I can't stand to see them get attacked. It has nothing to do with the rollers "rolling" the hawks hang on the outside of the aviary just waiting for their tasty meal. They didn't get any meals this year from me...

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
RE LEE, you know it's not that simple. ESPECIALLY given the years on the bands. Those birds might have been banded by "John", but there's certainly no way to prove that HE dumped the birds and IF HE DID, he would never admit it and he'll just say he gave them away last year, or two years ago.......etc.
If it were as simple as, "he banded them, he's responsible" I would give him a call AND a piece of my mind.
With todays technology, the detectives and what not, could probably figure out where the box came from, where the birds came from and who dumped them, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to put in the man-power/man-hours trying to figure it out.
Believe me, if I could think of a way to find the person who did this and make them pay, I would, but sadly, at the end of the day, we'll probably never know who did this horrible thing.
People shove birds in shipping boxes one on top of another to die and it's KNOWN who did it and something COULD be done about it, but, again, sadly, no one wanted to "cause waves" with the PO.
This is a much harder case to figure out.
I agree on calling the newspapers, TV stations, make a big stink, but at the end of the day, everyone will say how sad it is that this happened and then go on about their business.
IMO, the WHOLE pigeon fancier/sport needs some policing.......but THAT will never happen either. :(
You know i was taking notice that there was a phone number that could be called So i posted it. AS in the past people have posted number and never new it was a phone number. Then far as the shipped birds. YES I still feel why blamew it on the post office. That is a whole different matter. ANd then far as the whole pigeon keeping group of people. You know its not just people who keep pigeons that some need looked at. BUT another thing is most do do right AND to many do gooders ruin things for everyone Even the ones that are good in the sport. The public looks at the whole not the one. AND pigeons are not liked by most people It is a hobby with little public like. I would never cause waves that weakens this sport. bUT yes this case is wrong It would have been better for those birds to have been destroyed rather then been left in a box on a side of a road to just die.So there are cases where one can pusue and others where it has to be handled in the right manner.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts