Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REALLY BAD LEG INJURY -- leg band issue!

I have white doves. We just got into doves a year ago. We bought the from someone who had a dove release business.

I just found one of them with a really bad leg. It was so swollen. When we found her in the cote, she was eating just fine, just hoping around. Upon examining the leg I could not believe how bad it was.

I cut off the metal band (2006). All the skin around the leg stayed on the band. I cleaned it up the best I could. I splinted the leg and wrapped it with gauze.

Should I be putting something on the wound. The clay is still very large. Any advise would be most helpful.

(Note: I tried to post this under Pigeon Crisis -- Emergency! but the site would not let me).

Pauline Jaworski
North Wings White Dove Release
Sudbury, Ontario Canada
[email protected]

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It could have been another injury that caused the leg to swell, and therefore causing the band to become too tight. Have you checked the leg and foot for any other injuries? I would have cleaned it with saline, and applied an antibiotic cream like Neosporin to keep it moist, then apply a layer of gauze, to keep it clean. Putting just the dry gauze on it can cause the new healing skin to pull off with the gauze when it is removed. Check that it isn't too tight. I wouldn't splint it though, unless broken.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It may be the band being too tight that caused the blood circulation to stop and therefor the leg to swell, you did well by removing the band.

the best thing to do is to follow what Jay said, watch closely as If any second damage in the new tissue could mean a very severe bleeding ... apply antibiotical cream on the injury etc and bring the pigeon inside if necessary.

this is the appropriate forum to post your thread in, I don't know why you couldn't post it in "pigeon Crisis -- Emergency!" but otherwise you'll get help here, why bother?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Everyone,
An update on my white dove.
She had to have her leg amputated.
She is doing WONDERFULLY, eating very well, drinking.
She does like to stand, a lot, on her one leg.
Thanks for everyones help.
Pauline Jaworski
North Wings White Dove Release

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's too bad. I'm really sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts