Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a baby dove after a wind storm. Have posted messages on other sites and in other locations on this site and have not received any help! Tried to leave the baby outside for the parents to find but a co-worker brought it home with her last night and fed and watered it. Tried again this morning to put it in a safe location for the parents to find it but again she went out and picked it up because there were ants in the box attacking it. Now it is in my office again. I am in Iraq so I have no access to anything healthy and obviously my co-worker is unable to leave it alone long enough for us to see if the parents will come find it.

· Registered
11,458 Posts
Do you know what sort of dove it is? Can you provide a photo?

Cynthia

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not know what kind of dove it is. I can not upload a photo because of the military restrictions of using personal items on a Government computer and this is all I have access to. What could we feed it? The parents were still around this morning but haven't seen them again since then.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I climbed on the roof of our building and found a nest near where I saw the parents. How do I know if this is the right nest? If it isn't will the "owners" hurt it if I placed the baby in there for the parents to find. I am obviously an "idiot" when it comes to dealing with this but I would like for this bird to have the best possible outcome. There are not very nice things here in this country but the birds is the one thing I do enjoy every morning.

· Registered
15,608 Posts
I climbed on the roof of our building and found a nest near where I saw the parents. How do I know if this is the right nest? If it isn't will the "owners" hurt it if I placed the baby in there for the parents to find. I am obviously an "idiot" when it comes to dealing with this but I would like for this bird to have the best possible outcome. There are not very nice things here in this country but the birds is the one thing I do enjoy every morning.
If you can put the baby in the nest and watch it to see if the parents feed it or beat it up, then, yes you could try that. If you can't watch it though, and intervene if necessary, then I wouldn't recommend doing this. If it IS the wrong nest, the birds that the nest belongs to will just beat the crap out of the baby and possibly kill it.
What color is this bird? What color are the parents? Let's try to figure out what type of dove it is. It's NOT a pigeon, correct?

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Feed it grains. You have rice, wheat, peas, right? Unless it is very young, then that would be more work because you will up as the parent and you are supposed to feed them baby bird foods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.