Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I went out to feed this morning and found one of my pre-fledge babies floating in the little water pool. I thought it was dead and scooped it up and heard him squeak. So very close to death- eyes closed, head back, legs back and soaked to the bone and so cold. I've spent the last hour warming with heating pad and hair dryer.
He looks like he's going to pull thru now. A little shaky and head is wobbly still but getting better.
He did throw up a little bit of water. Breathing is not raspy or gurgle-y, but should I treat for pneumonia? If so with what?

Pic from after I started drying him

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Hi Gingerpoo,

You have a pretty bird there, very pretty. It is possible that you may need to treat the bird, but I would wait and focus more on stabilizing the bird for now. Keep him inside tonight with soft bedding, out of drafts, favorite foods etc. ....you know the drill. Also, you might want to mix up some IRS formula (water with a pinch of salt and pinch of sugar) & give to the the bird. Tomorrow morning evaluate him/her again. Hold the bird up to your ear and listen to the breathing if you don't have a stethoscope. Observe the droppings...

S/he looks quasi recovered, yet still has that 'far away' look in the eye that they get when they don't feel well. You may need to keep a close eye and ear on this juvenile for a couple of days before deciding to treat or not.

What meds do you have on hand just in case?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That pic was from shortly after I scooped her out of the water and started drying her. As of today she appears fully recovered. I have not heard any rasping but I don't have a stethoscope. I have been checking her twice a day. A close call and remarkable recovery. I truly did not think she was going to make itinitially. I'm sure there was a lot of thrashing about but when I found her she was floating with her head tilted back on her shoulders- so thinking now she was hypothermic, as she didn't have her face in the water.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Thank God this beautiful bird is fine.you are lucky this time to get him recovered.and pls take care of him in future.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Ditto on that Kiddy...

Congrats Gingerpoo, that was a close call. Possibly consider covered waterers like the ones at Foyes and other pij supply houses and monitor bathing, keep water shallow and pull at dusk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts