Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I discovered one of my hens on the loft floor, in obvious distress. After determining that she was probably eggbound, I got her on heat and used moisture and some olive oil to help her pass the egg. (intact - and the 2nd of her clutch)

She's been inside on heat overnight and though she's stopped panting, she is still not moving much. She also has not made any droppings since last night, and is not interested in food or water.

How long does it normally take for a hen to bounce back after the offending egg passes? Could something else be wrong? (I doubt it is a second egg, since she had already laid her first before this happened.)

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
Did she bleed at all?

I have had hens respond within a day or so, after getting the egg out.

It would be best to get her to a qualified avian vet if she doesn't start acting like her old self soon, she may have an infection or more.

Meanwhile, I would make sure she is getting enough calcium, B complex and other nutritional support.

Make sure she is eating and drinking. I would give my hen, a cod liver oil cap vitamin D, 1/2 alfalfa tab-for calcium and more, and brewers yeast-B vitamins, and a drop of colloidal silver for infection.

Then garlic, and ACV and probiotics as the normal preventatives.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick response Treesa...
No bleeding that I could see, and she was able to pass droppings immediately after the egg came out. But none since.

How fast could an infection set in? She was 100% normal yesterday morning. Then at 6PM I found her on the floor.

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
If this started late yesterday, then she may not have enough calcium as that is usually the case with eggbound hens, especially since this is the second egg. An infection could have been there or another issue that was aggravted by the egg, or stress of laying.

Did you give her any liquid calcium?

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you give her any liquid calcium?
No, is it obtainable at the drug store or the pet store? I'll give her some tonight if I can get it.

She has free access to grit mixed with oyster shells and mineral supplements, and I feed them all a good quality mix. But perhaps she's just not taking enough in by herself.

· Registered
20,303 Posts
No, is it obtainable at the drug store or the pet store? I'll give her some tonight if I can get it.

She has free access to grit mixed with oyster shells and mineral supplements, and I feed them all a good quality mix. But perhaps she's just not taking enough in by herself.
that is exactly what can happen, some may just not eat enough, I keep a calcium syrup I bought from pigeon supply online and keep in just in case and give to the breeders a few weeks before breeding. it goes in the drinking water so you know they get some of it.

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
Have the birds been getting enough sun of late?

Sometimes they not only don't get enough from the grit but they actually are not absorbing it, if they are lacking Vitamin D, which helps to get calcium absorbed, that is why I give those hens (who seem to have issues with eggs in winter) cod liver oil.

· Registered
1,411 Posts
do you add the cod liver oil to the water?
if so how much?

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
do you add the cod liver oil to the water?
if so how much?
I only buy it in capsule (human grade) and give it to a hen who needs (down the throat with a drop of Neem oil) it about once a month.

You can buy it in liquid and put it over the seed and mix it real good, but just a small amount once a month. Be careful to buy organic, mercury free, and keep it stored in cool place, and don't use it if it is old.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have the birds been getting enough sun of late?

Sometimes they not only don't get enough from the grit but they actually are not absorbing it, if they are lacking Vitamin D, which helps to get calcium absorbed, that is why I give those hens (who seem to have issues with eggs in winter) cod liver oil.
I had placed a tarp over the top of aviary to keep out the snow and ice, so it is possible they're not getting enough sun through the sides of it. I removed the tarp last week, but will try the cod liver oil and calcium for her. Thank you.

She may also have post laying paralysis - has not moved much since I placed her on some towels last night. And she's usually the feistiest bird in the loft.

· Registered
20,303 Posts
I had placed a tarp over the top of aviary to keep out the snow and ice, so it is possible they're not getting enough sun through the sides of it. I removed the tarp last week, but will try the cod liver oil and calcium for her. Thank you.

She may also have post laying paralysis - has not moved much since I placed her on some towels last night. And she's usually the feistiest bird in the loft.
don't forget the vit D. part.:)

· Registered
10,082 Posts
I am sorry this happened to your hen.
Post egg laying paralysis takes two to three days to show improvement. They do recover completely with calcium and antiinflamatories. If you don't have metacam you can give her some baby Motrin.

Reti

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
I had placed a tarp over the top of aviary to keep out the snow and ice, so it is possible they're not getting enough sun through the sides of it. I removed the tarp last week, * but will try the cod liver oil and calcium for her. Thank you.

*don't forget the vit D. part.:)
* Cod liver oil is the best source of Vitamin D3, in it's most easily readily available form, along with Vitamin A, Vitamin E and EPA/DHA, just as it comes from nature making it easily absorbable and very beneficial, but use only once in awhile and 1/4 of a human dose as it is a fat soluble vitamin.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am sorry this happened to your hen.
Post egg laying paralysis takes two to three days to show improvement. They do recover completely with calcium and antiinflamatories. If you don't have metacam you can give her some baby Motrin.

Reti
Thank you Reti. Do I just give her a full baby motrin tablet by mouth? Or does the pill need to be split?

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
* Cod liver oil is the best source of Vitamin D3, in it's most easily readily available form, along with Vitamin A, Vitamin E and EPA/DHA, just as it comes from nature making it easily absorbable and very beneficial, but use only once in awhile and 1/4 of a human dose as it is a fat soluble vitamin.

Treesa, I found some liquid calcium soft gels with Vitamin D at the drugstore. Label says 200 IU Vitamin D (or 50% rda for humans) and 600 mg calcium (or 60% rda for humans.) Would these be safe? Or should I find a way to administer 1/2 of a gel cap instead of the whole thing?

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
Treesa, I found some liquid calcium soft gels with Vitamin D at the drugstore. Label says 200 IU Vitamin D (or 50% rda for humans) and 600 mg calcium (or 60% rda for humans.) Would these be safe? Or should I find a way to administer 1/2 of a gel cap instead of the whole thing?
You can open the capsule with a pin and squeeze a little out on the seed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.