Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most clubs in the US our membership has been stagnant or dwindling for years. I'm currently trying put a game plan together to advertise our clubs existence let alone our sport.
I've started a Facebook page, printed business cards and flyers and posted in the community, and attended bird fairs.

I'm planning to ask for an increase in dues to buy ads in the local paper and coffee news. I'm also going to try to work with a Spanish interpreter and focus on Latin community.

If you have done any of these things or anything else with success please let us now or share your thoughts.
Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice to see someone who truly appreciates this great sport, and is actually doing something.
I have been thinking about different ways to get it out there and to be honest never thought of the ads.
Since I am the new guy so far I have been able to get 1 new member. I'm using the personal touch to start I fly a lot of the colors and when ever I can I talk to people, show them pictures of the bird's and extol the virtues of the bird's and sport. I am thinking of approaching the Future Farmers and 4H here in some of the local schools, next year putting together a few of my prettiest and doing a display at a few of the different county fairs.
I have thought about setting up in front of the malls with a display like the girl scouts maybe selling raffle tickets or something. I have thought about doing a BBQ at the club and selling dinners this way people see the club and guys. Those are just a few ideas for getting the word out about us.
Oh yeah I am working on getting my friends son some bird's to play around with as he is going into the 2nd grade. I'm hoping to hook email young lol. Fortunately I live in the country so kid's and people are more open to the idea of keeping any kind of animal and we have right to farm law's so no worries or issues with keeping your bird's like a lot of people have to deal with.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm just trying to get a club started .

Pigeons are often sold on Craigslist . So I placed an ad on Craigslist under farm and garden . My ad shown below .

Racing Pigeons,
There are no pigeon racing clubs in or around St Augustine, Florida right now . So lets start one . If interested please respond with name and phone number , or call Frank at show in the contact info . Also , if you know of anyone that may be interested please pass this on .
Thanks ,
Frank

·
Registered
312 Posts
miken, this is what is happening in our combine...one of our members works for Walmart and it has been approved by the uppers that the first Saturday in September we can set up in the store and do a recruitment of members slash auction for our first race kinda deal.
The way it works is they let folks bid as much as they want on a bird that will be in the first race of the season which for that club is about 70 miles, most bidders will come to the loft of whichever racer they chose and watch the birds come in. They pick that race cause it's usually a pretty fast race and the bidders can get excited watching for THIER bird to come home.
Then half the money goes to the winner and the other half goes to The Children's Miracle Network through Walmart. We as flyer's don't get the money the bidder's do. It has only been two years now and both years the winners donated back the winnings to the CMN. The AU mag mentioned it in one of the last few issues and gave a shout out the combine and to the Space Coast Racers of Florida. They are very proud and they should be.
This may be something you can look into, every town has a Walmart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts