Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
look at the pretty boy i'm rehabbing, he pretty beat up, i think a hawk may have tried to get him, don't see these guys to often.
when i went on the cape ann winter birding, this was one of the birds everyone wanted to see, and here i go having one in my basment, lol

·
Registered
822 Posts
He's a beauty!! Being in Gloucester, you may not be in need - but, should you need a release site down the road, we have Merganser (and many other duck species) living on our backyard (13 acre) pond. I was gonna say "quiet backyard pond" but, trust me, with all the wild ducks out there, it's NOT quiet!!

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
What a handsome bird! I hope he is all better soon! Baby bird season started for me here in So Cal on Tuesday night .. ARGGHHHH! First "eggling" sparrow of the year. Best wishes to you, altgirl, and to all the rehabbers who are members here .. it's a tough go some of the time.

Are Mergansers like some other waterfowl in that they are very clumsy on land (I'm thinking Grebes, Ruddy Ducks, and such here) ?

Terry

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh it starts early for you!! i should have until mid april or so but they really can come anytime, tell you the truth i miss the babies, i get excited for the season, but when i'm in it, i'm exausted, it would be nice if i could just raise a couple at a time, but it's more like 20 at time average.
they do all right on land, but he's a real water duck, he's a diving fish eater, and of course he won't eat on his own as of yet, so i have to force feed him smelt, i can find any shiners or minnows in the stores this early in the season, i may try a few goldfish, idk, or i may have to tube him.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
re

I SPOKE TOO SOON!!! i just got 4 baby mice,lol, i'll try to get pics on later
oh it starts early for you!! i should have until mid april or so but they really can come anytime, tell you the truth i miss the babies, i get excited for the season, but when i'm in it, i'm exausted, it would be nice if i could just raise a couple at a time, but it's more like 20 at time average.
they do all right on land, but he's a real water duck, he's a diving fish eater, and of course he won't eat on his own as of yet, so i have to force feed him smelt, i can find any shiners or minnows in the stores this early in the season, i may try a few goldfish, idk, or i may have to tube him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.