Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
was wondering about the white being domanant, is white considerd a dilute? and would the off spring be all white from this pair?:)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
was wondering about the white beign domanant, is white considerd a dilute? and would the off spring be all white from this pair?:)
Red is dominant. I don't KNOW about white, but I would make a wild guess and say you'll get reds from this pair. Could be a RED bird with a little bit of white or a white bird with a little bit of red or anything in between...........
I don't know why I answered.......LOL......someone who ACTUALLY knows what the heck they're talking about will let you know......:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red is dominant. I don't KNOW about white, but I would make a wild guess and say you'll get reds from this pair. Could be a RED bird with a little bit of white or a white bird with a little bit of red or anything in between...........
I don't know why I answered.......LOL......someone who ACTUALLY knows what the heck they're talking about will let you know......:D
well it was nice of you to do so...lol..., I really like the red and wish to get more, I looked up colors on slobberknockers but white is not listed, unless white means dilute...:confused:, me so confused.:p

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
well it was nice of you to do so...lol..., I really like the red and wish to get more, I looked up colors on slobberknockers but white is not listed, unless white means dilute...:confused:, me so confused.:p
White is actually not a "color"........as far as color genes go. (I think) It's a lack of color. (I think) My understanding is that all white birds are SOME color genetically, but lack of pigment in the feathers makes them appear white. (I think) :confused:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I bet you a million dollars if you breed a white pigeon with a red pigeon you will get baby pigeons
hahahahaha :p

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
White is actually not a "color"........as far as color genes go. (I think) It's a lack of color. (I think) My understanding is that all white birds are SOME color genetically, but lack of pigment in the feathers makes them appear white. (I think) :confused:
I have read the same thing a couple of times while doing pigeon color research

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi RENEE, YOU ARE CORRECT,also yes white is not a color.................SPIRT WTNGS white is not dilute. ...GEORGE;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi RENEE, YOU ARE CORRECT,also yes white is not a color.................SPIRT WTNGS white is not dilute. ...GEORGE;)
Thank you Renee and George, and Ed, I guess:rolleyes::p.LOL.. perhaps I will have more red figs in the loft afterall, and Im glad I know now dilute is a color and white is not. o

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Dilute...
its what they do to my drinks at the bar sometimes :(
hahaha ok I will stop now ;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Dilute isn't a color, but it is a gene ;) It's what causes reds to be yellow, brown to be khaki, and blue to be silver.

White isn't caused by the dilute gene; the only similarity being both white and dilute effects the thickness/length of down on the babies.

There's a lot of forms of white, and depending on what kinds of white the parent carries, the babies may have a lot or a little colored feathers. Chances are, you'll have at least a little red showing in the babies :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Figs are loaded with recessive whites

was wondering about the white beign domanant, is white considerd a dilute? and would the off spring be all white from this pair?:)
My figs are loaded with recessive white. I have yet to find a pair that does not throw whites. This is the most likely reason for your white bird to be white. As others have said, underneath the white is a color. No way to know what it is without test breeding.

I have blues, blacks, ash reds, ash yellows, all of which have produced recessive white young. It takes both parents to either carry recessive white or to be recessive white to produce a recessive white as it is a simple recessive gene.

All that said, if the male is ash red and is not split for another color, all the young will be ash reds, even if they happen to be recessive whites. The color underneath will be ash red, it just won't show. Half the young in a mating such as this, should be normal colored and half should be recessive whites. The normals produced will also carry recessive white in their genes.

There are also a multitude of other reasons to produce white pigeons but in figs, recessive white is the number one reason.

Bill

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My figs are loaded with recessive white. I have yet to find a pair that does not throw whites. This is the most likely reason for your white bird to be white. As others have said, underneath the white is a color. No way to know what it is without test breeding.

I have blues, blacks, ash reds, ash yellows, all of which have produced recessive white young. It takes both parents to either carry recessive white or to be recessive white to produce a recessive white as it is a simple recessive gene.

All that said, if the male is ash red and is not split for another color, all the young will be ash reds, even if they happen to be recessive whites. The color underneath will be ash red, it just won't show. Half the young in a mating such as this, should be normal colored and half should be recessive whites. The normals produced will also carry recessive white in their genes.

There are also a multitude of other reasons to produce white pigeons but in figs, recessive white is the number one reason.

Bill
oh boy, so depending on whats behind them, will determine the color/s or lack there of. so I could get red. or dilutes from them. or all white. well what do you mean on the last sentence, I already have 4 whites so was trying for some reds.:) oh thank you Bill and Becky, I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi all,

I figured I'd take some time to answer this question because I likey won't be around for a while after this - got some family issues that need dealing with.

1) White - if it's a bull eyed white, it's recessive.

2) White - if it's a colored eyed white, then it's likely either a combination white created from grizzle (tiger grizzle, or classic grizzle and usually ash-red)

3) White does NOT affect the baby's down. If it does, then there is something hidden by the white that's doing that, e.g., you may have a white hiding dilution or almond.

4) Let's assume your white is a bull-eyed white and hence a homozygous recessive white. If the ash-red sire happens to heterozygous for recessive white, then you could get 50% of the young in both sexes that are recessive whites. If the ash-red sire is NOT heterozygous for recessive white, then all the young will be colored, though some may be pied or splash if the white is hiding some sort of piebald factors as well.

5) As noted, white is not a "color". That's because white is actually caused by there being no pigment in the feather. So a white could actually be a black bird; a blue ck; an almond; a recessive red; a T-pattern ash-red, etc. We simply can not tell because a white could be anything under that white overcoat. When we cross it to another bird that doesn't carry recessive white, we can tell what the white parent is from whatever young we begin to get from various rounds.

http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/pigeongenetics/WHITE.html

Frank

·
Registered
137 Posts
was wondering about the white being dominant, is white considered a dilute? and would the off spring be all white from this pair?:)
Hi Spirit, I have a red cock bird and a white hen and they only throw reds and chocolates

Below Father and baby

Below Some of his their young

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Do you get brown cocks and hens?

Hi Spirit, I have a red cock bird and a white hen and they only throw reds and chocolates

Below Father and baby

Below Some of his their young

If so, that means that mom is recessive white but her base color is brown. Either way, dad is ash red split for brown. If the browns are all hens, it is all dad's doing.

There are lots of recessive whites in homers. As Frank says, the bull eyes on the whites mean recessive white and not some other form of white, in most if not all cases.

Bill

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this is all very interesting, Thanks Bluecheck, you explained things well in a way I could understand, I think I will let this pair hatch some babies and see what happens, the white is a bull eye, but not a clue what is behind her. so it ought to be interesting. Queen that is really neat about yor birds, you just never know what those whites are hiding.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts