Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a male pigeon named Ollie. He's about two years old with red irritated eyes and red lumpy irritated skin around both eyes. There is no drainage. It almost looks like allergies. He does scratch his eyes on occasion. What can I put into the eyes or give him orally for this problem? I have attached a photo below. He looks miserable. As I am a novice pigeon admirer and keeper. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive heard this could be mites, the best thing to do with give him a bath and see what happens, if it doesnt go away you might need to go to the vet and see if he will give you mite spray.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You don't want to spry anything near his eyes. A vet could figure out what is wrong and what he needs though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've taken him to the vet, and the vet just thinks it's allergies to dander. He prescribed him some steroid drops for his eyes, which really doesn't seem to help. Not sure if this vet was too familiar with pigeon issues. I also give my pigeons ivermectin, 1-2 drops per oral for worms and mites. They also, get let out of the loft every day. Could it be him fighting with other males? Maybe I'll mist him with some permethrin spray under the wings, his feet, vent and spray the loft. Hopefully, that will help, too.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I like scat, which is Moxidectin, for things like that. About 8 drops on his skin for a homer size bird should get rid of all mites. It's good to keep on hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts