Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 1 1/2 years a red bar pigeon has been visiting my garden and helping himself to the bird seed I've put out there. I didn't see him at all last winter and he returned at the start of summer which makes me think he was kept in a loft somewhere.

This winter he has still been coming making me thing he no longer has a loft or doesn't go there for some reason. Today we had the coldest day so far and I came home to see him sitting on the ground in the garden, he didn't look right. I approached him and he did fly onto the wall but as he did I noticed his wing was drooping.

I'm not sure whether he's injured or just doesn't like the cold.

I would take him in and look after him but it's not my house and it would be very difficult to keep him here.

Ideally I'd like to see him be looked after for the winter because I'm not sure if he's going to cope as it gets colder. Is this a solution, is there anyone in or near the midlands that would like to take him? I would be willing to make a donation to anyone that would take him in until the winter is over.

Or can anyone suggest anything else I can do?

Here's some pictures of him at his best:

Here's a picture of him now:

You can see his wing is dropping a bit although it was a bit worse earlier.

Thanks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
thats nice you care so much for him/her

I wonder if it does have a home somewhere, I would take it in if I lived near you. Where is the midlands?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Midlands is the middle counties in the UK (Staffordshire, West Midlands, Shropshire and some others), although I don't mind going further if need be. New Zealand is a bit far though :(

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
hahaha ya recon? jack on coro st has pigeons, maybe he'll take em?
Think that would ber a bit difficult, Jack Died back in 2010 lol

For the past 1 1/2 years a red bar pigeon has been visiting my garden and helping himself to the bird seed I've put out there. I didn't see him at all last winter and he returned at the start of summer which makes me think he was kept in a loft somewhere.

This winter he has still been coming making me thing he no longer has a loft or doesn't go there for some reason. Today we had the coldest day so far and I came home to see him sitting on the ground in the garden, he didn't look right. I approached him and he did fly onto the wall but as he did I noticed his wing was drooping.

I'm not sure whether he's injured or just doesn't like the cold.

I would take him in and look after him but it's not my house and it would be very difficult to keep him here.

Ideally I'd like to see him be looked after for the winter because I'm not sure if he's going to cope as it gets colder. Is this a solution, is there anyone in or near the midlands that would like to take him? I would be willing to make a donation to anyone that would take him in until the winter is over.

Or can anyone suggest anything else I can do?

Here's a picture of him now:

You can see his wing is dropping a bit although it was a bit worse earlier.
Thanks.
Hes sitting on a curved surface at an angle in that pic so wing drop doesnt look too bad there,
If you could post another pic of him straight on it may show it better.

This is the same bird you have posted about before, since he is tagged, chances are he is in a loft somewhere close, & only comes when he is let out.
This year (so far) weather in UK has been quite mild whereas last year, we had a particularly snowy & cold winter so maybe the owner didnt let him out as much.

If his wing is injured, it isnt stopping him from flying at the moment so keep an eye on him, he obiously knows he can get food so as long as he is visiting if it gets any worse you may have a chance to catch him and examine it better.
The thing neither we & you definately know, is if he is in a loft, he may have a mate & young there, so keepig a close eye on him, but letting him come & go maybe the best at the moment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hes sitting on a curved surface at an angle in that pic so wing drop doesnt look too bad there,
If you could post another pic of him straight on it may show it better.
I know it's hard to tell there but I just watched him and he kept trying to lift his wing up and it kept falling back down. Also when I got close he got up onto the ledge of the wall as though to fly away but he just stood on the edge flapping his wings and eventually dropped back down onto that ledge. He's sitting on the ground now, so he doesn't look bad there. I'm worried that he might be an easy target for cats though.

Maybe he's a bit weak for some reason, he seems to be able to flap his wings, even fly but just seems like he doesn't have any energy.

·
Banned
28 Posts
This is the same bird you have posted about before, since he is tagged, chances are he is in a loft somewhere close, & only comes when he is let out.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I know it's hard to tell there but I just watched him and he kept trying to lift his wing up and it kept falling back down. Also when I got close he got up onto the ledge of the wall as though to fly away but he just stood on the edge flapping his wings and eventually dropped back down onto that ledge. He's sitting on the ground now, so he doesn't look bad there. I'm worried that he might be an easy target for cats though.

Maybe he's a bit weak for some reason, he seems to be able to flap his wings, even fly but just seems like he doesn't have any energy.
def sounds as if something is up.
since hes used to feeding, you could try the box trap, (example) catch him & examine him better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sorry for the grainy image, didn't want to get too close. He's up on the feeder now, here you can see his left wing is dropping and his right looks fine. So hopefully it's just that he's weak rather than injured, hopefully he will eat some of that seed and get back to normal.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Wing is def lower in that pic,
If he is weak, it would be better to try & catch him sooner rather than later.
Pigeons try to hide any weakness or illness as long as possible in order to avoid predators, so by the time things do show, its often more serious.
Try some food on the ground & the box trap I suggested.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trouble with the box thing is, he was sitting in the food tray so he's not going to go on the floor. I thought I'd try and grab him hoping he would be pretty weak but he actually flew onto the wall and then he flew across the road and now I can't see him. Maybe he's not as bad as he seems, especially as he's had something to eat whilst in the tray.

Fingers crossed he'll be OK.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
SOrry I posted a reply on your original thread, only just seen this thread.

I was asking on that one where exactly you are as I'm in West Midlands, in case you were close.
Do you know of Amerton Farm where the British Wildlife centre is?
If so they have a 'hospital' and do take in pigeons. If they're ok they are able to live from the open aviary there and come and go as they please with food on tap, so if he was treatable and releasable that would be a possible place to take him for some help.

I'd try and take him in if he's looking worse and at least confine him in a large box with food and water while we try and find some help. Just a worry leaving him out in this cold if he's going downhill since you first saw him.
The trouble is once you start to try and catch him he'll become wary of you and it will get harder to get hold of him from then on.
As he was feeding on the ground before could you put some seed down with a box trap and he might go down to get it. Do watch out for him but don't hassle him too much unless you're sure you can get him as he'll stay clear. The box is usually the best way to get them but it needs patience.

Janet

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
H's back in my garden and has been sitting on the food tray all day. I noticed that his poops are a yellow colour, does this indicate some kind of problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I tried sneaking up on him yesterday, he let me get really close then as soon as I went for it he hopped onto the wall. I also just tried the box thing that Quazar suggested but two minutes after I set it up he flew off; he's always seemed to get unsettled if new objects appear in the garden so he obviously doesn't like the box either. I could probably do it if I persisted but unfortunatly I'll be working.

Watching him today he's just sat down for most of the day. Only once flying down from the food tray to the ground. Watching him walk he looks like he has a limp in his right foot, he seems to struggle standing up as well. I hope he somehow gets better but I'm not expecting him to last much longer. :( If I can ever catch him I'll keep him in doors and take him somewhere but I don't think I'll be able to.

·
Registered
762 Posts
For the grabbing, use seeds. You can throw them, an then, while he's mesmerized, you start a trickle of seeds. You move this waterfall slowly towards his back, ten, with your hand directly on top o him, still letting seeds drop, you lower you hand, when you're like, a foot above, keep dumping, but go in for the kill!! Only this that has ever worked for me =}

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
This is so hard to follow as he is obviously in real need of some help and it's so sad to think of him slowly declining out there in this cold.

If there is any way of catching him then please do and let me know as I'm in West Midlands and somehow I'd like to help.

As far as catching him goes it's the final moment when you get close that is crucial because naturally you hesitate for a second and it's that moment they sense something's going to happen and fly off. You just have to go for it straight away if you're close enough even if you end up falling forwards as you grab him. :eek: I assume you crouched down as the time it takes from standing is enough to startle him also.
It's a bad time of year for you to be trying sadly as I find with the box method, you need to sit quietly with the string held and just wait. Not even looking at them directly so they don't think you're interested in them and so they relax and potter under the box to get to the seeds. Obviously don't leave too many outside the box so he's not as desperate for those underneath. Put a good amount under with just a few scattered leading into the box.
The shame is if it's so cold you can't sit and wait for too long in this weather as you'll freeze ATM if you're outside.
I've done it before from indoors by having a patio door slightly open and with a very long piece of string attached to the wood propping the box up, I can be far enough away for them not to be bothered, and then hopefully they potter underneath without realising in their efforts to get to the seeds and I can pull sharply on the string and the box drops on them.
It would be worth leaving the box out there all the time propped up with some seeds under as he'll get used to seeing it for a while and won't be as alarmed by it until you get another chance. Maybe a few days getting to the seeds without anything happening might stop him seeing it as a problem.

Alternatively a large net is good if you know anyone that fishes! The long handle means you don't have to get as close while he's eating.

First get him then we'll try and sort out the way to get treatment. His yellow poops aren't good so although he's eating well he must be sick.

Thanks for trying, don't give up, the opportunity will come if you watch out for it.

Janet

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Being this time of year I only see him at weekends as I'm at work during daylight hours during the week. All I could do was keep putting food out each day. Thankfully the weather has improved this week and we only had frost for a couple of days.

I've seen him today and he looks a lot better than he did last weekend. He seems more bright and alert, he also stands up rather than sitting down and his wings look fine. However, he seems to be limping and the feathers around his legs look a bit of a mess.

I'll keep an eye on him when I can but I'm hoping he'll just improve on his own.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I'm pleased he's still showing up and at least not looking worse for now. As you say the weather has given us a short break.

I still think as he's obviously relaxed enough to return regularly it would be ideal to place a box trap out near where he normally feeds for the times during the week you're not around to see him. Always put some seeds underneath and this way he'll not be alarmed after a while at it being there.
Then you can try at a weekend you can see if he's going under it at all. Again maybe without actioning it a couple of times so he's comfortable with eating under it, then one time you'll get a chance.

It does depend on what's ailing his leg as to whether he'll improve on his own but it'll be good if you can to get a close look if you can catch him in case it needs some attention, so I would maybe still catch him if the opportunity arrives.
If you do get him I'll do what I can to get him some help even if it means me collecting him, so don't worry on that score.

Thanks for keeping us posted. Still hoping he makes it, he's a lovely bird.

Janet

Janet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts