Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend brought by a pigeon today that his girlfriend found laying in the street. While he was alive, she assumed that he was dying and kept him in a box for a couple days, but after finding him still alert today, they brought him over.

He's unable to stand or move, has very limited use of his legs (they move a bit, but there's no grip in the feet) or wings, and if left to his own devices he'll just flop over on his side. They named him Reeves as a result.

Aside from that, he's very alert and has been eating and drinking. Mouth looks fine, eyes are bright, no obvious wounds or broken bones, and I haven't seen any of the awkward head/neck movements related to PMV, etc.

I don't think he'd really eaten in a couple days, so at this point (I've had him for 5-6 hours now) there have been no stools to check out.

As I already have birds in the house, I'm keeping him in another room and am being careful to wash up after handling or working with him.

Here's Reeves on arrival:

Food!

Back to the drawing board:

Buckled in:

He's finally getting used to the towel donut, and is doing better at staying on it without the loop above, although I take away his water whenever I'm out of the room to prevent him from falling into it and drowning.

Any idea what it could be? He mentioned that their neighbor had been complaining about pigeons nesting in the roof, so I'm wondering if perhaps he was poisoned. He's very docile, but not drowsy or listless (aside from the whole not being able to move thing).

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You may already know about Dr. Hauck, as you have birds but just in case you don't, he has been very good about providing veterinary care to feral pigeons. Our member Louise has never been charged. He won't keep the pigeon. That is something you will need to do while it recovers.

Dr. Patrick Hauck
2675 E. Flamingo Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89121
(702) 734-9761
They see both pet and feral pigeons.
If they are feral, the rescuer will need to continue home care as the office will not keep them.
This is a very friendly and supportive office.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Call that Doc ASAP. This is a neurological problem, but may or may not be permanent.

Many times due to an impact injury a Pigeon will be temporarily paralyzed and over a few weeks will regain some if not all of their mobility again.

Sometimes, not. In which case one should discuss with the Doc the question of quality of life.

The poops look sorta OK. They are kind of 'starvation' poops...so it is good he/she is eating, because that will certainly help things.

Thanks for caring and keep us posted.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Our member Louise has never been charged. He won't keep the pigeon. That is something you will need to do while it recovers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today's update:

He's been doing much better. Still eating/drinking, and he's getting feisty and starting to move his limbs a bit more. When he has to poop, he'll push himself off the towel donut, and poops are looking closer to regular now. He's also starting to peck at me when I shift things around his towel donut, which is definitely a good sign. :]

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Did you call the Doc ? He should really be checked out .

It is good news that there seems to be a little more motion, but there may also be an injury which is not apparent which a vet can ascertain during an exam....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts