Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I couldn't find anything close to this so if I misstep please let me know and close this topic.

I had a kit box that had homers in it for over a year. Before anyone asks, they were yb's and I didnt have anywhere to put them so they went into my kitbox.
Fast forward a year and a half later, the kitbox toppled over (poorly made). My homers were able to fly into it but it was made of osb, non treated, and was an eyesore. I then had a loft built is on the other end of my backyard. I was able to get all of them into the new loft by getting them at night and moving them. Will I be able to rehome them to a new structure a few feet from the previous loft? Original was a kitbox and the new one is a full loft.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hi guys,

I couldn't find anything close to this so if I misstep please let me know and close this topic.

I had a kit box that had homers in it for over a year. Before anyone asks, they were yb's and I didnt have anywhere to put them so they went into my kitbox.
Fast forward a year and a half later, the kitbox toppled over (poorly made). My homers were able to fly into it but it was made of osb, non treated, and was an eyesore. I then had a loft built is on the other end of my backyard. I was able to get all of them into the new loft by getting them at night and moving them. Will I be able to rehome them to a new structure a few feet from the previous loft? Original was a kitbox and the new one is a full loft.
Yes, should not be an issue at all. During WWII, the pigeon corps would move the lofts all the time, since the loft was built into the back of a truck. There are lofts as well in the Far East, where the loft is on a boat, and the boat moves around. So, simply moving the loft a few feet, will be like a walk in the park.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right but what if they were in a kitbox before and now they have a nice new loft? Does the structure change affect them? I know maybe it is a silly question but im too paranoid to let them out now..

·
Registered
268 Posts
I rehome my youngbirds every year after youngbird races, I move them to the old bird section ( they have to learn to trap in a different trap) They learn it quick, no problem.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yes :) It will take some getting used to and you will have more success if you trap train them every day. When we built a new OB loft I had to move birds of various ages to it and kept them in for a month before I let them out again. Some of the older ones were stubborn and kept wanting to go back to the old loft but once they figured out they couldn't get in, they broke into the new one. Sounds like you're going to have to throw out the kitbox anyway so that should make it much easier. The loft will be their only choice. But trap training is a must so they are comfortable with how to get into their new home. All of us who race move our yearlings to the old bird loft after young bird races are over. So it's the same thing :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
when i first had birds i kept them in the garage, then after my loft was done i had to move them. after settling in the loft for couple of weeks, took them out. they did go back to the garage once but when they didnt find their cage, they went back to the loft. so its really not that hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts