Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't quite sure where to post this so, moderators, please feel free to move it....

We have had 3 Homers and 2 Roller/Frills in separate quarantine in our garage for 3 weeks (fresh air but no sun). The birds came from 2 clean, local lofts; we saw no sign of any illness in the home lofts; and there is no sign of illness in any of these 5 birds (eyes, mouth, & feathers are all clear). We do have Luna (1 mnth old) and Orion/Azore (3wks old).

It's starting to warm up here, the sun is out (!!), the quarantined birds are getting restless (they're used to having much more room, their own perches & boxes, an outside fly space), & sun. We'd really like to move them into the loft. We've read the threads about quarantine and opinions re: time seem to vary. With everything looking clear - - can we safely move them over?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I agree with Dave, the droppings are what I look at. if they are healthy poops. then you are probably good to go after 3 weeks. but nothing is 100%. I like to get a fecal test done at the vet also, just in case. check for worms and bacteria count. but that is just me.:)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I don't usually quarantine for a month. I, like SW, watch the droppings and the overall demeanor of the birds. If they sit around puffed, or are not active, even WITH good droppings, then I keep them separated longer, but for me, after a couple of weeks of good droppings, eating good, acting normal and antsy.........I put them in my loft.
Like Lucky said, it's your call.
I also base my decision on where the birds came from and how well I know the fancier. There's a select few fanciers that I wouldn't even quarantine their birds more than a few days and there's some that I wouldn't take a bird from their loft if they paid ME to take it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. We haven't decided for sure - - yet. Their appearance and behavior certainly indicates that all is well. We're gonna change the bedding to newspaper (from chips), for overnight, so we can get a better look at the droppings but what we've seen looks good - and they're certainly eating and drinking well. We will see ....

G

·
to me whats important is worming and dusting them before adding them to the loft but if you have birds on eggs or small babys in the loft you might just want to keep an eye on things so they dont go messing with the others nests trying to claim one ,some birds can really wreak havoc in a short amount of time so watch for it closely ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I quarantine for 45-60 days, and make sure the new birds have been vaccinated, dewormed twice, treated with a routine pill for canker and cocci (I use Spartrix and Appertex usually, or a 4-in-1 like MedPet's), and are free of any external parasites. I also recommend a fecal.

I am also probably overly cautious due to my parrot-keeping background, but to me it's worth the extra few weeks to know my other established birds are safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.