Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a part of a project that is saving baby pigeons from a consrtuction site. Many of the birds that I have raised came to me as they were hatching. They are all about 8 weeks old now and close to release. There are 15 total. I would like to do a soft release on my property but I have a flock of about 20 bandtails that frequent my eucaliptus. Are bandtailds territorial. Should I try to find a new release spot? Thank you, Im new at all of this.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I always thought that bangtails are shy and elusive.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
birdmama -
Welcome to PT. I have deleted the duplicate thread for you. This will help keep the thread focused.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am a part of a project that is saving baby pigeons from a consrtuction site. Many of the birds that I have raised came to me as they were hatching. They are all about 8 weeks old now and close to release. There are 15 total. I would like to do a soft release on my property but I have a flock of about 20 bandtails that frequent my eucaliptus. Are bandtailds territorial. Should I try to find a new release spot? Thank you, Im new at all of this.
why don't you keep them? They are already domestic and make great companions to spend time with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I was hoping to release and keep feeding them here. I dont want to keep them caged up. They need to fly. There have been 40 pigeons saved through this project and they have all stayed close to where they were released. Im hoping mine will do the same. I just didnt know if the 2 different kinds of pigeons would have problems with each other. I love these little guys. I just want to do it right. :)

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I don't think it should be a problem and I do agree it would be better to release the pigeons from your place. Their chance of survival is much greater with support. Undoubtedly, some will leave and some will stay around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts