Pigeon-Talk banner

Releasing PMV survivors

Tags
pmv pigeon
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Charis 
#1 ·
I have three fully recovered PMV pigeons which I have been taking care of since January. Two of them have mated and look very happy an in love. The third one is constantly looking through the window "dreaming" to be free (I feel).
The weather is nice now and I am considering releasing them, but I have heard that as soon as the weather gets cold again and food scarce, the PMV symptoms will come back. What would be the best thing to do in this situation? Should I release them even though their symptoms may come back in the winter?

#3 ·
I would say do not release any PPMV survivors...

Since, as Jay3 already said, they supposedly can have transient returns or wellings of some neurological symptoms at unpredictable times, temporarily lose the ability to fly or peck well, star gazing, twirling, etc, and, in the 'Wild', this could be their end.

#4 ·
I wouldn't release them...

I have been rescuing PPMV pigeons for 10 years now, and the incidence of so-called "relapses" or deterioration of residual nervous symptoms among those that remain in the aviary is high. Feefo, the first of my PPMV rescues, made what I thought was a a full recovery (but when I took her to the vet about another problem he pointed out that she had an almost imperceptible eye tremor and advised me not to release her) Then after 6 months she suddenly she got subtantially worse than she had ever been during her isolation period.

The disease causes permanent lesions in the brain, (and in other organs). One of my survivors only showed very mild torticollis for about 7 years, then suddenly deteriorated.

However, their life expectancy in captivity is high. Three of them have been with me for over 9 years .

#5 ·
I would ask...how do you know they had PMV?

#6 ·
Any bird with neurological problems shouldn't be released.
Symptoms usually come back when the bird is stressed and this can be anytime:
lack of food or water,
during the moult,
during the mating period,
predator attack.

I would suggest keeping them safe inside.

#7 ·
Any bird with neurological problems shouldn't be released.
Symptoms usually come back when the bird is stressed and this can be anytime:
lack of food or water,
during the moult,
during the mating period,
predator attack.

I would suggest keeping them safe inside.
Plamen...isn't this the cause with only PMV?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.