Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have taken in 4 pigeon squabs so far this year, in order to raise them and release them. These have all been young birds found at either construction sites, in parking lots or elsewhere and the youngest ones were just getting their pin feathers when I got them. I have raised them up to the point where they are eating on their own and have been flying for about 2 days. One of the ones that required the most intensive feeding and care (he and his sibling both got the same care, but this little guy was always first over to get fed and was super friendly from the get-go) is now such a tame little guy. Try as I might to separate myself from them, as I know they need to learn to be wild, this guy follows me around the indoor aviary, crawls (flapping) up my pantleg and onto my shoulder and peeps incessantly. He's so cute... I'd love to keep him, but I SHOULD release him. He seems to get on fine when I'm not there, but he still doesn't seem to eat as well as he should and continues to beg for food when he sees me. His sibling is friendly, but is much more "releasable" at the moment, as she seems to have an easier time feeding, pecking and flying around the room.

My hubby is not excited about me collecting pigeons, but I hate to raise them and release them if they're going to get eaten (a fact of life, I realize...) within a very short time.

Anybody with any advice?

Laura

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can you put a little loft for them in your yard?
Are you in Florida?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi there.
First and foremost I admire your input for caring the innocent and vulnerable pigeons. Keep up the good work!
Stay strong and be patient.
If you could post pics and your locality, probably someone can lend you a hand and give them a new home.
Please do not let these vulnerable and innocent pigeons to free fly.
They will only be baits for hungry predators.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If they beg for food, they are still in critical age.
Is there no way you can involve you hubby more, just to imprint him to the birds? Like asking for opinions, help, assistance. We males love this kind of stuff and behind hard façade usually there are some cracks leading to the soft core.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i think it's to early to tell how much they will like people, every piji i have raised just about was imprinted to an extent, it's really hard to avoid they have very close relationships with their parents for quite a while. once weaned he should wild up if you pretty much ignore them and just let them be with each other. keep all of them together and release them all together
don't talk to them and keep feedings and cleaning business like, get in and get out. once released i support feed them as long as they need it and they start coming less and less.
a lot of wild pigeons are somewhat friendly the ones here down on the boulevard will land right on your arm when you feed them.
predators are a danger to all wild creatures, but if i kept evry single bird i rehabbed i would probably be around 800 birds at this point, i think it's thier birth right to be a free bird, and we need to respect that and do the best we can to give them every chance to get out where they belong

1 - 5 of 5 Posts