Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've had a small team of racers for most of my life. Now that I am retired, my wife and I want to do a bit of traveling but I don't want to burden any family members to come out to my house daily to feed and water the twenty or-so birds I would like to keep.
Does anyone know of a commercial or homemade heated waterer that would supply this many birds for four or five days?
I'm in upper NY where winter temps will get down to minus 20 F.
Its either come up with something to take care of this or get rid of many years of selective breeding.
Any help is appreciated.

Fred

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I built my water heaters out of recessed lighting the kind you have in you're ceiling, I built a box that is 14 in square with a 6 in whole so you can set the one gallon waterer on it. Now if you want them to have water for 5 days you may need to make 3 or 4 of them, you can get them at Menards for less than $6 use a 40 watt bulb. Now for the feeder I like this the best but you have to use pellets or they will waste a lot of the feed.
Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5QXm5b0Bjg

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
For the feeder I use a 6in PVC with a reducer to 4in, and if you make the 6in 4 ft long it will hold about 40 lbs of feed.
Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Sandy and Dave for the replies.
I like the simplicity of the PVC pipe feeder. With no moving parts, you don't get much more reliable than that, although I am not crazy about always leaving the feed exposed to small rodents.
As far as the waterer, I was thinking along the lines of the lamps to keep everything warm, but it would be great not to have to rely on gravity type waterers. I was even thinking of rewiring an old electric water heater to be able to maintain 40 degree water which is than pumped to a drinker of some sort. That should be somewhat reliable assuming no power outages.
Food for thought..thanks
Fred

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have an idea. Send your birds to me and I will care for them everyday through the winter.
And then in May I will send them back, right after I bred the second round out from them. How does that sound to you?
I believe you have a few birds that originally came from my loft. I could get some young out of them.
Of course I am just kidding but, it is an option to free you up to travel worry free.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an idea. Send your birds to me and I will care for them everyday through the winter.
And then in May I will send them back, right after I bred the second round out from them. How does that sound to you?
I believe you have a few birds that originally came from my loft. I could get some young out of them.
Of course I am just kidding but, it is an option to free you up to travel worry free.

I actually appreciate your offer. I think that a round (or two) of youngsters would be a small price to pay for room and board, and yes, there would be one or two in the twenty I would keep that were from your 1279. Perhaps after this year's kit race, which is actually taking place today, we can add 2170 and/or 2171 to the keepers depending on their finish in the race.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I also live in NY and what I use for my water containers in the winter is a heater made for candle warming from Wallmart about $8.00. Made a wood platform to go over it to hold the water containers works great. Leave the middle of the frame open for the heat to rise. They look like little hot plates.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also live in NY and what I use for my water containers in the winter is a heater made for candle warming from Wallmart about $8.00. Made a wood platform to go over it to hold the water containers works great. Leave the middle of the frame open for the heat to rise. They look like little hot plates.
Thanks for the info. Its not quite clear to me how you adapted this warmer. How large is the one you used?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have thought about buying a heated water for when I want to be out of town for 3 or 4 days but was always concerned about if the water would evaporate before I got back. Also the fire risk kinda bothered me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts