Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We rescued a 3 week old pigeon (Dec 08) that the parents abandonded and raised him until he fully developed and brought him outside to try and socialize with his parents and the rest of the pigeons by our house. We also built a platform house on our back patio where we kept a dish of birdseed and water for him. At day one, he would fly away with the other pigeons and the doves but always came back though he never slept here at night. The only time that he really interacts with other pigeons is at night when they go off to sleep. Otherwise we see him around the neighborhood by himself or chasing the morning doves. We are now moving out of state and are unsure whether he will be ok here on his own or if we should take him with us. He lets us touch him but doesn't let anyone else near him. He also flies off with the other birds when there is a loud noise or an animal gets close. He seems like he would be ok on his own but we are unsure how well he can find food on his own and he doesn't seem to interact with the pigeons which has us concerned. Any advise?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Tough call. The answer is in your heart... go with whatever that tells you. Me...I 'd probably take him.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think if you don't take him with you, you will think about him. He sounds like he has chosen you as his family. I have 4 pigeons indoors with me as my pets and are wonderful pets. mindy

·
Registered
97 Posts
Would you take him with you as a pet? Or try to relocate him outside? If you want him to stay outside, he's probably better where he already has a flock he's familiar with. But I'm sure he'd be happy to live as your pet! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts