Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due to move house in less than a week... this was very unexpected - I should have had several more weeks!

I will be taking my 14 fancy pigeons with me (fantails and Old Dutch Capuchines).

I have to stay in a rented house for about 6 months.. then go to my final house. (they are fine with me taking my birds).

How are my pigeons going to cope with the move?

Once in the new place how long until I can let them out? Should I keep them confined for the 6 months until I go to the final house? Will they be miserable not being able to fly free? The fantails don't fly far, but the Capuchines love to fly around the house every day.

I thought I stopped all breeding in the run up to the move, replacing eggs for fake ones...... but today I found one pair has a chick!!!! Its is about 2 weeks old.

How can I go about moving the chick? Will I have to hand rear it? :(

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
480 Posts
your birds will be ok if they are fancys with homer that another story, just keep them in there cage for those 6 months then when you have your home then set up your new loft and keep them there for a month then train them for the new location , good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Should be able to leave the baby in the nest in a shallow box. The parents should continue feeding as long as they are with the baby. Just in case, I would keep checking its crop to make sure they're feeding it. If they somehow aren't, yes you'd need to hand raise it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doing great.

Should be able to leave the baby in the nest in a shallow box. The parents should continue feeding as long as they are with the baby. Just in case, I would keep checking its crop to make sure they're feeding it. If they somehow aren't, yes you'd need to hand raise it.
I moved the nest box.. with the original nest in it. At the new place I was so thankful that the chicks parents settled down straight away. They are all now in a big dog crate. They take good care of the chick and now its nearly independent.

Thanks for all the advise everyone........I am so glad I did not have to had rear it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts