Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw an ad on craigslist about a group in my area that wants to make a short film with pigeons. Thinking that I could be one of their models to interact with the birds, I emailed them and let them know that I have been raising my birds for about eight years now. They responded to me asking if they could use my birds for their film.

I think it could be an interesting experience, but I haven't rented out my birds before and I wasn't sure what kind of questions I should ask, or how much I should charge them, and how I should charge them for using my birds. (like per hour? or just an overall charge?).

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you should handle your own birds for them... you never know what could happen to them in novices hands, as far as the pay goes, ask for what you think it may be worth to you.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I would ask to meet with someone who could show you the site, purpose, etc. I would stipulate that you fly your own birds and no one else! I would also want an agreement that they would pay for any lost birds. If you think it's safe and something you want to do, then do it! Keep us updated!
As to charge, just consider the time, work and expense you've put into these birds. Depending on the distance, make them aware that you can't just keep flying them over and over for "retakes" or anything. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys! I just sent them an email asking about the circumstances. When I get more info I'll let you know!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Charge them per flight, $50 to $100 per basket released, after all your taking the risk of losing some birds, if it isn't about the money and you really want to participate in this short film charge so little that they couldn't refuse, maybe just enough for you to get a few bags of feed for your birds! Let us know how things turned out! Good Luck:)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I recently saw an ad on craigslist about a group in my area that wants to make a short film with pigeons. Thinking that I could be one of their models to interact with the birds, I emailed them and let them know that I have been raising my birds for about eight years now. They responded to me asking if they could use my birds for their film.

I think it could be an interesting experience, but I haven't rented out my birds before and I wasn't sure what kind of questions I should ask, or how much I should charge them, and how I should charge them for using my birds. (like per hour? or just an overall charge?).

Thanks!
Before you do anything find out just what they will be doing with your birds,it just might be something that you may not like. Look before you leap !!GEORGE;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I agree with George!!!
You definitely want to know all of the details of what they want to do with the birds before you agree to anything. (that will give you an idea of how much to charge too)

And if it were me, I would also make sure to be present on the set to supervise their interaction with the birds. Most people just do not know how to handle birds and something unfortunate could happen as a result.

Also -
I've worked with a fair number of independent film artists and I always ask to see the script first to make sure there's nothing in it I would not want my name to be associated with. You might want to do that as well, or at least ask for a summary.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I agree with George Too!
Make doubly sure that you know Exactly what you are getting into! (Legal Contract)
Don't get caught up into thinking that they have to have your birds, just have to, otherwise they just don't know what they will do....
If it was Really that important for them, they would have their Own!
If they don't agree to Your Terms, tell them to call ACME Rent a Pigeon, I'm sure it's in the book! :rolleyes:
I, personally, won't Rent out My Pigeons, They are uppidy enough the way it is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts