Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boo Boo is recovering from her major open chest wound but also has a lame leg. The leg has scare tissue at the 'elbow' area. My vet xrayed the leg and said it showed some bone loss and has started her on a six week regime of antibiotics for a bone infection.

Should her lame leg be taped? She only hobbles with it, mostly hops to eat etc.Also the scare tissue is pulling away from her leg. Perhaps this is good?
I rescued her Christmas Day.
Kathleen

·
Registered
248 Posts
Awwhh! Poor Boo Boo.

I have a pigeon with a bad leg. I posted on here about him back in the summer. Airbus, as he's called, got attacked by a cat or hawk or something and nearly had his right leg ripped clean off. He was given antibiotics and painkillers and left to heal by himself - it did heal very well but now he limps a little and will hop if he gets into a scuffle or uses his bad leg a bit too much. Seems a happy fellow though and has retained his crown as head pidge. :D

By 'taped' do you mean just bandaged or do you mean to put it in a splint? If there are open wounds on the leg, I guess it would be a good idea to put a light dressing on it to keep it clean, but make sure the wound can still breathe. And don't use a splint - my vet suggested putting one on Airbus but he got very stressed trying to peck it off and it was obviously uncomfortable for him to sit down with it, presumably it poked into his wound. :( I ended up not using a splint OR bandage. Instead I kept him confined to a large pet carrier lined with towels and kept it very clean. It was the least stressful option for him.

Also - Boo Boo may start to use her leg again once the injury/possible bone infection has been treated. Airbus didn't start using his leg again until the open wound had healed over totally. I really thought he might end up being a one legged pidge for a long while. It was such a relief when he started using it again!

Best wishes for Boo Boo's speedy recovery! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Georgina, it's so encouraging to hear about Airbus. BooBoo's leg is 'healed' but he doesn't put weight on it. I keep the box lined with soft paper towel and do not have a perch for her. She stands most of the day and occasionly sits.
Did you let Airbus go?
Boo Boo has been confined and not allowed to fly because of her large chest wound. Her staples come out Tuesday so I should move her to a larger space? However catching her twice a day for the antibiotic will be a problem. As you can see i am worried about her and doing the very best for her. Thank you

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Kathleen - l am in SF - l have this stuff called Neocalglucon which my avian vet always prescribes for a break\fracture. She says it's very very good at healing bone - it has worked wonders for the ferals l have had with leg injuries. l can send you some if you PM me your address. lf there's no external injury which requires air l would tend to wrap the leg in that purple wrap stuff which is self-sticking (put it over a thin layer of gauze beneath).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, Jaye, thank you

Jaye
I would love to try it. I have been using an herbal olive base remedy from my Acupunturist.
Did your doctor also recommend a 6 week regime of antibiotics?

Thanks,
Kathleen
ps What is the purplewrap stuff?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The purple wrap is a bandage that sticks to itself and goes over gauze to keep it in place. Because it sticks to itself, it is easier to remove, check the injury.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Update: am sending Kathleen some Neocalglucon. This plus the Cipro which your vet prescribed should be a pretty good combination to improve the situation given a few weeks. I have seen pigeons with pretty bad breaks get incredibly better on this regimen. 6 weeks ? That may be overkill....my vet usually does only 2-3 weeks. The Neocal only need be done for about 2 weeks.

(Tapeless, self-adhering bandage/wrap. Any drugstore would have it. Handy, nifty stuff).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Neocal

Hello Jay,
My Vet said no because this is a bone infection issue. I have a new worry, Bo boo is losing weight. Her leg seems to be healing and my vet wants to continue her cipro for another week. She has been on it for a month now. Have you had any of your birds lose weight while you treated them?
Thanks,
Kathleen

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If they are not getting exercise to keep the muscle mass up sometimes they look like they are skinnier. What was the weight before and what is it now and how did you weigh your birdie and if you trust you vet continue with the cipro for the infection..c.hert

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I didn't weigh Boo Boo

I resumed the antibiotic this mornig. Also increased the height of her box to
3', hoping she will fly up to the loft space.
I leave her food there all the time. Would it be better to remove it for awhile? Perhaps offer it morning and then early evening? Do you add grit to the food or put it in a seperate dish?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Kathleen, If Boo Boo is losing weight, I think is time for you to hand feed her at least once a day, try to defrost peas and probably 20 by serving will work, you can do it in the morning before to go to work or when you come back from work, that way you know that she is eating, keep us update. Thank you for saving this little bird.

Ivette

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you

I know she is eating and she has been on antibiotics for 4 weeks now. I have used probiotics too to help her digestion. Also she has not flown since i rescued her. I hope it may be the confinement with some muscle loss from not flying.
Do you keep food with the birds all day or do you remove it for a while?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Well...good news that the leg is better. I dunno if probiotics do anything if they are taking an antibiotic at the time.

Cipro can be given up to 6 weeks...no worries with that.

How thin is she ? Are we talking protruding keelbone/breastbone sorta thin ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not protruding

She is small and she has a good attitude though...she bats at me when I reach for her for her antibiotic doses. Shes not listless. Perhaps next Tuesday when we see the Vet again and gets this bandage off. all will be on the mend.
Do birds stand all night and sleep that way?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts