Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

I have a rescue coming in tonight that MickaCoo was unable to accommodate, so I offered to take it. The bird should be here in a couple of hours -- a woman whom Elizabeth knows has kindly offered to bring it to me.

I don't know a thing about this bird yet, except that it showed up at the human society with a very droopy wing, and it needs some help. It is a very pretty helmet pigeon, so it clearly must have belonged to someone at some point. I don't think it is banded.

I thought I'd start a thread for the bird, since I like to document my rescues here, get advice, and so forth. This one may, or may not, be complicated -- who knows ... it may just have a sprain and be hungry, or it might be a lot more complex that that.

I'm preparing everything now so a hospital quarantine cage will be ready when it arrives, and the heating pad already warm.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She's here, and she has a nasty wound. Looks like a hawk strike maybe, under the wing. Very little was visible at first glance except a droopy wing, but the smell of her screamed "puncture wound." Indeed, I found one, and it's deep, and very smelly.

I cleaned it as well as I could by flushing, and started her on Baytril, and will let her rest for the night. I'll do a much more thorough poking around and irrigating tomorrow, and see how well I can clean the wound out, how much necrotic gunk I can safely remove, etc.

She's a tiny thing .. a helmet pigeon .. a mere 220 grams! Not much bigger than a ring neck dove.

She's feisty and grunty and fairly strong, so I am less worried about this than I could be. She's not particularly emaciated, either -- just a really, really small bird. Keel isn't particularly sharp.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hey Mini!

You're so good to have offered to care for her, I doubt she'd have had a good outcome otherwise. It sounds like something comparatively simple that will heal up nicely too; I hope so, you deserve a nice happy experience.

She sounds cute:)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Bella!

Oh, yes, she's adorable. Not much bigger than a ring neck dove, and pretty as can be.

I hope this one isn't too complicated! The wound goes into the shoulder joint, and is pretty clearly infected by the look and smell of it ... I wish she could have been on Baytril a bit sooner. I need to really get in there and irrigate the heck out of it tomorrow -- it looks pretty deep. I flushed it as well as I could tonight, but I wanted to get antibiotics into her system before I went probing around too much -- plus the poor thing was already stressed from being transported to me.

She's terrified of being handled. I didn't see any other wounds, but I'll do a very thorough exam tomorrow to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Her eyes are clear, and her poops look good, breathing seems fine -- so I hope the infection is localized.

I'm presuming it's a hawk/predator strike, but I need to investigate a bit more and make sure there isn't a bb or a pellet in that joint -- there's no exit wound, so if it is a shot wound, there's likely still something in there. It seems a little odd to be a hawk strike -- she's so tiny, I have a hard time imagining her escaping from a predator, particularly since this rendered her flightless. It is also unusual just to have one single wound with a predator attack.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Mini, My first racing stray that I decided to keep had a deep puncture wound under the wing when I found him. Its was horrible and I was not experienced with wounds, plus he was very badly depleted from starvation and exertion.

When I tracked down the owner, he said this wound was common in pigeons, and is usually caused by pigeons flying over antennas in dim conditions or in the dark.

My guy healed up great, he's king of the loft.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, Bella -- that's a much less unsavory idea than her having been shot. I hope I'll be able to tell a bit more tomorrow --

Glad to hear your guy healed up well!

I have two birds that had been shot -- neither had the offending bb/pellet still in them by the time they came to me, but they were clearly gun wounds ( bb, pellet gun, air gun, .22, who knows?) Both have healed up very well, though Winchester's tendon was severed and his elbow joint shattered, so he has limited flight ability. He can get up and down from perches, though, and is a force to be reckoned with in terms of wing whacking and such.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I'm glad they both healed up in your care; those sounded like awful & painful wounds :(

I hope your new girl feels less stressed after a while. Must be a nervous breed do you think?

·
Registered
449 Posts
gangrene/bacterial infection

Oh the poor thing.
If the infection has an odor then it must be some nasty bacterial infection. Hopefully you had caught it in time. Is she eating and pooping ok? that is crucial. Please keep us updated.
You are close to the Mickaboo rescue? I bought a sweat shirt from that organization froma fund-raiser! I am assuming they take in cockatiels?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pirab -- MickaCoo is the pigeon and dove branch of Mickaboo (who do companion birds) -- they do amazing work. Yes, MickaCoo is here in my area. They're totally full at the moment, and are having to turn away birds, but they're doing a lot of networking to try to place the birds they can't take.

Little one is eating and pooping well, thank goodness. There's definitely an infection in that wound ... she's perky and bright, though, so I hope it is localized.

I'm going to flush it again shortly, and clean out as much of the necrotic tissue as possible, and go searching to see if there's a bullet of some kind in there.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I barely know a thing about the fancy breeds, Bella -- I was surprised that this little girl is so teeny tiny! She feels much more like a ring neck, in my hands, than a pigeon.

She's fairly short beaked -- not as much as some, but definitely a lot smaller than I'm used to on a pigeon.

She's calmer today, though I don't suspect she'll be very happy with me poking around that wound.

She smells better, too -- last night, I could smell that wound the moment I opened her temporary carrier. I also hope we caught the wound in time .... she was at an animal shelter, and it seems she had no care to speak of for a few days.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Can you please post a pic. of the wound? Why was it smelling ? What's the infection in the wound like? What color?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I will gladly post a picture. Do you know how I delete my old attachments? I seem to have all my account can handle.

I think it is smelling due to necrotic tissue and infection, since it was untreated for a few days. The wound is black -- hard to tell how much of it is dried blood, and how much is actual flesh.

I got some pics last night, but will see if I can get better ones when I clean it in a few minutes here.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yes, I will gladly post a picture. Do you know how I delete my old attachments? I seem to have all my account can handle.

I think it is smelling due to necrotic tissue and infection, since it was untreated for a few days. The wound is black -- hard to tell how much of it is dried blood, and how much is actual flesh.

I got some pics last night, but will see if I can get better ones when I clean it in a few minutes here.
If you delete the old attachments, the post where you had them will have no pics. Best is to open an account with some free websites..i use photobucket

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll upload them to my Flickr account and link to it. I just removed a necrotic mass from her breast that was the size of my thumb!:eek: It took me three hours to get it all out without damaging anything else.

She weathered it well, and now she's furious at me.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Minimonkey.. this is very difficult for me to read and I don't want to take away from the goodness in you and that you want to help.
What took 3 hours to do could have been done by a vet in minutes, under anesthesia and caused the bird much less stress. I understand it's one thing, to do an invasive procedure to another creature if there is no help around, but Oakland is not the outback.
Did you even give the pigeon metacam?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Charis,

I really hear you on this. I didn't realize this thing was so large, until I went to clean and irrigate the wound more thoroughly, and realized how bad it was.

It being the weekend, my only option is an emergency vet in Concord (they take the weekend calls from Montclair) --That vet removed tissue from the last bird I took them that didn't need removing, according to Dr. Speer, and caused further problems than they solved.

This bird had been in the shelter for 10 days, and what was under that scab was a bunch of spilled food debris, from a puncture wound to the crop-- it was ungodly smelling. I didn't think it was a good idea to wait until Monday to take her into Montclair, though I will certainly take her in then. So, I cleaned it out.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
She's had metacam, and she's on antibiotics. She's doing quite well after getting all that gunk out, and I will obviously keep flushing the wound.

I'll get her in to Montclair on Monday.

Here are the pictures. You can see that at first, I couldn't see much, but once I started cleaning off the scab, it was clear there was a lot of gunk that needed to come out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157632258995046/

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Just upload to your PT album, once there open the photo up, copy the "BB code" from the bottom and paste that code to this forum. As so

1 - 20 of 48 Posts