Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok advice is needed. I found a fledgling Pigeon on the ground on my lawn. Normally I would put it back in the trees, but this one had a wee bit of blood above its right eye. I have put it in a crate, with a container of water. It has been alert enough that I have been feeding it some soaked cat biscuits. However, it can't stand and continues to tilt to the right, and just sits. It perks up when I play it pigeon cooing sounds which is good. I need advice on how often to feed it, whether to force feed it water instead of just having a container next to it, and what are normal breathing habits? Any advice at all is welcome.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
He might have a head injury, and that's why he's unbalanced. You can feed him frozen peas that has been defrosted in warm water till soft. Feed him at least 30 peas 3 times daily.

Hold him against your body facing to the right (if you are righthanded). Reach with your left hand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your right hand and put this deep inside his beak over his tongue and let him swallow. If he spits it out, then you are not putting it in deep enough.

He won't need water while eating peas, although you can start teaching him by dipping his beak in a small bowl of water, but not over the nostrils otherwise he might aspirate.

They quickly learn to eat the peas by themselves. Always leave a small bowl of peas with him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marina I've found your reply to be super helpful. I'm now feeding him peas (around 30 x3 daily). He's regained his balance a wee bit and seems to be doing a lot better now. He was even scratching around outside for something to nibble when I took him outside. And have once tried dipping his beak in water, and he was sipping at it. So thank you, He seems to be doing well.:D

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Be care about taking him outside. One day he may surprise you and fly off. He may not be ready and will not survive out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts