1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

About an hour ago, I received this e-mail from SFACC:

Hi Elizabeth,
A269280 is a very sick King that came in yesterday. The memos say you have corresponded to the finder re this bird. This morning it looks very bad -
on his back, spasms, looks like he is going to die. I think it would be
most humane to euthanize, but due to info in memos, wanted to try to
contact you first. If I don't hear back from you in a couple hours, we
will probably euthanize for humane reasons. Thanks.

I sent this message out to a handful of SF Mickaboo, ACC and pigeon people 10 minutes later:

Is anybody available to emergency rush an SFACC pigeon to BABH?

There is a VERY sick king pigeon at SFACC that needs emergency avian vet care at Bay Area Bird Hospital located near the corner of Taraval Street and 32nd Avenue in San Francisco, 415-566-4359.

If so, please reply all so that others will know that it is being handled. You may want to call SFACC at (415) 554-6364 and page Eric to confirm the bird is still alive.

SFACC isn't generally open to the public this early but will open for this pick up. (Ring the doorbell).

Immediately, Mickaboo volunteer Mike Reed accepted the mission and ran out the door. Amazingly, he got the bird picked up and to BABH still alive.

And I just sent this message out to the handful of folks I turned to for emergency transport. And I want to share it with you all as well-

Thank you ever so much to Mike Reed who dropped everything and raced over to get this gravely ill bird and get him to Bay Area Bird Hospital.

I just received a call from Dr. Marcucci who has given him Valium for relief from the seizures, and is providing oxygen and fluids. Problems could be viral, bacterial or heavy metal toxicity. As he stabilizes, tests will be run.

Donations towards his vet care can be made at http://confluence.mickaboo.org/display/MBPublic/Donate (Note "7/18 pigeon" in comments)

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have goosebumps all over. What amazing people there are out there. Poor pigeon, he is certainly in good hands now and I hope he does well.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I love this about people... when nothing stands in their way, its amazing the things we can do without even thinking twice! BIG thank YOU to Mr. Mike Reed!!!! So glad s/he is not in pain right now... THANK you E for responding so fast yourself... TEAMWORK!!!!
Will be anxiously awaiting updates on this saving grace!!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update

The king pigeon, now named, by Mike, Persia after the street she was found on, is home with me.

She's young, only 4-6 weeks old and in grave condition.

No diagnosis but likely PMV which is pretty devastating to young birds. Mature birds, with enough supportive care, including hand feeding, can survive it. Frances and June Bug are likely PMV survivors.

She had several more seizures at BABH (and doses of valium) and they're surprised that she is still alive.

Interestingly and encouragingly- she's hungry and responds (feebly) to hand-feeding.

It will be a miracle if she survives. She's very skinny and depleted and while I've had adult pigeons recover from all manner of tragedy, the youngsters often slip away.

Think good thoughts for Persia.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oh my! Her eyes... tell it all.... I am praying ((as I type)) for her.... E- I would like to be included in all the updates on her.... whether it here on the thread or by email. My heart ,man... I really want her to make it!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
What a sweet face. I really hope and pray she makes it.

Reti

·
Registered
632 Posts
Poor baby! A real tear-jerker, that photo. Thank you, Elizabethy, and Mike Reed, and all the wonderful people who conspired to try to save this little one. This kind of action gives us back our faith in people.
I hope and pray that Persia will make it.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
C'mon, Persia...you can make it!!

Sending LOVING HEALING THOUGHTS WITH GENTLE HUGS AND SCRITCHES!!

Hopefuly, our Guardian Angel, Maggie, will help!

Love and Hugs

Shi :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Elizabeth,
I am so sorry for your little bird. The photo you posted just says it all - suffering. When I look at it I am in tears. Because it reminds me of our little Randy that died in my hands a few weeks ago. It is the same suffering you see in human eyes sometimes.

Do you have access to Bach flower remedies? They might be of help. They work through higher levels of the soul which we may not be able to influence.

I very much hope that there is enough will to survive in this little pigeon left. What a sweet little angel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts