Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

:cool:Hi everyone, my name is Chris I'm residing in las Vegas nv.
My neighbor found and raised a 1 wk old pigeon by hand for 5 weeks before I took him or her in. I hand fed it for two more weeks ( white cheese and wheat bread and water).the bird (Pretty Bird) stopped eating the bread and started puckin at seed while eating cheese twice a day. I have built a loft 6x4x4'. It is outof the elements and has a night light and heater at night . I keep food available at all times( dove food has a few of the ingriedience they should eat)along with fresh water . Pretty Bird is now 3 1/2 months old . He loves going in the house( my wife hates it because of the poop) and so do I. Pretty Bird is very picky with eating. I only give cheese once a day and not even 1/2 a teaspoon worth. The beak area of it's face looks like you can see the roots of feathers but she used to have more in that area. She or he does preen alot it seems but the feathers look good. My big problem is every dove inthe neighborhood is hanging at my house and eating the food and making messes in the loft. And lately pretty bird seems to be shaking more than normal. Now I have not given her anything else but bird sees and cheese. Ohh lately PB eats some wheat bread again only a little. Last night I went to get her off the book shelf and she flew and flew away from me . I had to catch her and she was upset . Really PO at me . Today I came home to ck on her and she was mellow but she didn't come right too me and when I started working in the yard she started laying in the rocks int the sun. Is that normal ? And kept picking for food while laying their. This is alot at ounce and I apologize for any confusion to my story telling. Plus how do I post picks from my iPhone or a ULR ???? Thank You so much for listening I hope so
One can help.
Chris

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

:cool:Hi everyone, my name is Chris I'm residing in las Vegas nv.
My neighbor found and raised a 1 wk old pigeon by hand for 5 weeks before I took him or her in. I hand fed it for two more weeks ( white cheese and wheat bread and water).the bird (Pretty Bird) stopped eating the bread and started puckin at seed while eating cheese twice a day. I have built a loft 6x4x4'. It is outof the elements and has a night light and heater at night . I keep food available at all times( dove food has a few of the ingriedience they should eat)along with fresh water . Pretty Bird is now 3 1/2 months old . He loves going in the house( my wife hates it because of the poop) and so do I. Pretty Bird is very picky with eating. I only give cheese once a day and not even 1/2 a teaspoon worth. The beak area of it's face looks like you can see the roots of feathers but she used to have more in that area. She or he does preen alot it seems but the feathers look good. My big problem is every dove inthe neighborhood is hanging at my house and eating the food and making messes in the loft. And lately pretty bird seems to be shaking more than normal. Now I have not given her anything else but bird sees and cheese. Ohh lately PB eats some wheat bread again only a little. Last night I went to get her off the book shelf and she flew and flew away from me . I had to catch her and she was upset . Really PO at me . Today I came home to ck on her and she was mellow but she didn't come right too me and when I started working in the yard she started laying in the rocks int the sun. Is that normal ? And kept picking for food while laying their. This is alot at ounce and I apologize for any confusion to my story telling. Plus how do I post picks from my iPhone or a ULR ???? Thank You so much for listening I hope so
One can help.
Chris
No cheese for birds!!!! They should not have dairy. Bread has little to no nutritional value.

What bird seed mix are you feeding? We need to be sure this is nutritious. What kind of grit are you using?

No wild birds should be able to get in the loft. This means predators can also get in. This also means that wild birds can bring in disease. Can you post some pictures. It would also be nice to see current pictures of your bird's poo and of your bird. You might want to take a look at the "lofts" section of the site for some good examples of proper lofts.

How to post pictures; http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f9/posting-images-how-to-7005.html

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
First off, thanks for saving PB and giving her/him such a nice life !!!

As Libis said....cheese isn't good for any avian species. So I would stop feeding that. The wheat bread once in a while is OK as long as it is the real thing...talking whole grains, rustic sorta looking - not the stuff which just looks like dark white bread. Dove mix is good if he/she is eating it. I think that perhaps slowly introducing a formulated food to the seed, such as Pigeon pellets or even Parrot pellets (budgie sized) would help balance her diet out significantly.

The loft sounds nice...as Libis noted, don't leave a place where Ferals and Wild birds can actually enter, though. You can leave a feeder outside so PB can enjoy the visits of her wild cousins while looking thru a window or something...but there shouldn't be close proximity with the possibility of direct contact.

Also, a bit unclear...do you allow him/her outside (even when she is supervised) ? If so....this is really flirting with disaster. She/he is human-bonded, and as you did not find him/her as an adult, then he has never learned the ways of the Feral world. In such an instance, allowing her/him outside is super dangerous - she has not been taught nor developed a sense of predators and danger. Therefore, he would be ill-equipped to avoid such. A hawk, cat, dog, etc. could make him/her easy pickings....even if you were standing 3 feet away from her.

So, I would suggest if you want your firend to live a long life...don't allow PB outside. If you want him to do some flying...give a bit of inside flying time in your house...even if it's just 30 minutes/day.

Also...Pigeon...Dove...(?) Is she/he a Pigeon (aka Rock Dove)... or a kind of Dove-Dove ????

Welcome to the forum...yes, do post some pics !!!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
First off, thanks for saving PB and giving her/him such a nice life !!!

As Libis said....cheese isn't good for any avian species. So I would stop feeding that. The wheat bread once in a while is OK as long as it is the real thing...talking whole grains, rustic sorta looking - not the stuff which just looks like dark white bread. Dove mix is good if he/she is eating it. I think that perhaps slowly introducing a formulated food to the seed, such as Pigeon pellets or even Parrot pellets (budgie sized) would help balance her diet out significantly.

The loft sounds nice...as Libis noted, don't leave a place where Ferals and Wild birds can actually enter, though. You can leave a feeder outside so PB can enjoy the visits of her wild cousins while looking thru a window or something...but there shouldn't be close proximity with the possibility of direct contact.

Also, a bit unclear...do you allow him/her outside (even when she is supervised) ? If so....this is really flirting with disaster. She/he is human-bonded, and as you did not find him/her as an adult, then he has never learned the ways of the Feral world. In such an instance, allowing her/him outside is super dangerous - she has not been taught nor developed a sense of predators and danger. Therefore, he would be ill-equipped to avoid such. A hawk, cat, dog, etc. could make him/her easy pickings....even if you were standing 3 feet away from her.

So, I would suggest if you want your firend to live a long life...don't allow PB her outside. If you want him to do some flying...give a bit of inside flying time in your house...even if it's just 30 minutes/day.

Also...Pigeon...Dove...(?) Is she/he a Pigeon (aka Rock Dove)... or a kind of Dove-Dove ????

Welcome to the forum...yes, do post some pics !!!
Another good seed mix with pellets for you (since you only have one bird) is Kaytee Supreme Daily Dove mix. (it comes in 5lb bags. 6 bags feed 4 ringneck doves for about 9 months.) It is very nutritionally balanced and can be ordered by the case from your local feed store. Put Kaytee hi-cal grit in a separate bowl if you also would like to buy grit in small amounts since you're only working with one bird.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks for the prompt response . You guys are awesome. Thank you!

Ok ! I understand what you are saying. I have been reading alot on Pigeontalk and just needed to hear it direct from you guys. So hear is my game plan starting tonight.

No cheeses .

Natural rustic wheat bread with real seeds in it.( but only as a treat once a week in minute amounts.

Dove / wild bird seed food does have the safflower,and 4 other ingredients that I have read up on . I don't have access to the information right this second.
And I feed her 1 cup of the seed in the morning and a fresh cup at night.

Also their is access to fresh water always.

I will find were to get the food that was recommended and start intergrateing it into her diet.

The loft is and will be locked at all times so nothing can get in. Nor PB out.Now I understand the trapping procedure and why.i will implement the changes necessary to my loft over the next day or so but like I said she won't be free roaming .
And yes PB has been let out in the morning at 6am and had free rain until 7 at night when its bedtime. So he's been living very dangerously.no more.
When the kids get home at 3pm PB comes in the house till 5 then im with the bird till PB gets cranky and is put to bed.really PB is a social bug.lol we are the flock for sure. And PB is human bonded no doubt. PB would walk up to cat and wouldn't even know what happen. Very easy target.no hawks to speak of.

Now the wild birds have been getting into loft. And she has been very close to the wild birds. Oh and PB is a rock dove from what I can tell.male or female haven't a clue. PB just started cooing us when we get to close and she is perched just sitting.

I have been changing the hay and scrapeing the pooh up every day.
Can i disenfect the loft?

So PB's diet and security basics I understand.

I will post pics ASAP i didn't go to the link you gave me on how to post pics but will soon.
The poop is white and wet with the cheese diet.(no more)
But since I cut way back on the cheese it would look dark green brownish black with a streak of white and firm.
I will post poop pics too. The poop has improved dramatically with less cheese. And I think it should improve from hear out.!

Pb's feathers have started looking a little messy compared to smooth and flat .
But she definitely scratches her face allot and preens very regularly. Again I'll get pics up.

Instill have manY questions but think it best handle the diet and lodging and then move on . overall Pb seems happy. Likes to be with us or anyone of us. Will basically come when called and will hang out on my shoulder for long stretches of time. Has even gone for rides on my kids scooter with me.(top speed 30'mph) too much fun . Pb does fly around some but mostly walks around with sudden bursts of hovering and darting back and forth then flapping her wings I'm one place like she's about too launch her self then lands and goes back to grazing. Sonic going to try and get picks up and look forward to further directions from those of you who will share. And I so appreciate your input and advise. Please keep it coming . I look forward to your responses.
Night!
Chris

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Welcome to PT :) Pretty Bird sounds like one spoiled little guy! I agree with the others, I would keep PB confined for safety......too friendly and trusting to humans and predators.
The only thing I'll address is his 'crankiness'. That's called 'being a teenager'! They go thru a juvenile delinquent phase :D It's actually fun.....grabbing you with their beak-pinching you, 'charging', wait until you get your first 'wing slap'! One thing to keep in mind is that they don't look at your 'hand' as part of 'you'. Even hand raised babies will consider the hand as a predator, but they'll still cuddle and sit on your shoulder, etc.
All this 'aggressive' behavior really means is that he's bonded to you (family). That is pigeon 'body language' meaning 'your mine', I love you, I'm the boss now...your my mate, this is my territory! ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Msfreebird, thank you for the insight and I definitely think we are his or hers. Is the bird really going to be happy alone in the loft all day? I mean from 8 at night till 2 in the afternoon Pb will be all closed up. For starters let me back track.the neighbor who found him or her and raised Pb for the first 5 weeks did keep Pb in a small animal cage ( dogs and cats 2x3x3 roughly) all the time. But Pb seems so happy cruising around the house. Pb never leaves the property. Does it take time to build ip steeangrh in their wings? How long before they can fly a good distance? Pb is about 12 weeks roughly old. Will pb be happy without a mate? Should I give pb a fAke egg to sit on? Andthis crankiness I own the world attitude will it go away? As it is pb will fly to me if I persist fly call pb to me . And will come to ms on her own at times. But no cuddling anymore :( or petting. When perched on my arm I can gently put my hand around the wings so she won't fly away whilst I take her from the house to the loft. And what kind of perches do they prefer? Pb is always in a different spot it seems when I ck on her in the loft.so many questions. Oh and pb seems to yawn from time to time is that normal? And pb always drinks her wAter like it's the last drink for awhile. Comments or suggestions please.
You are all being so helpfull incant thank you enough. Have a great day I'll be cking for post throughout the day and I am working on picture posting. Not sure how to put her pic on a ULR still. Cya !

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
You don't want the attitude to go away...it's all Pigeon/Dove and it indicates a relatively healthy bird.

They wanna go to sleep when it nears nightfall...so, naturally they will be out of sorts if up after dusk. Plus, birds need more sleep than humans.

I think the securing and change of diet and a little creativity by you in how to keep him exercised indoors is 90% of what you need. Regarding the other observations you have made...if you wanna put your mind at ease, take him to an avian vet (call in advance and tell them he's your pet...make sure they have NO policy about refusing to treat or confiscating saved Ferals.)

Here's some resources from Matilda' list , scroll down to Nevada. To me, looks like Partick Hauck would be choice #1 and Flamingo Clinic choice #2:

http://www.pigeonangels.com/t223-matilda-s-list-united-states-l-n

Have you ever given him a spray shower with warm water from a spray bottle...just a misting ? They love that...also give's em exercise... and it likely will make his feathers clean up and show very nicely.

BTW.....it is almost a miracle that your friend was able to save a 1-week old Mourning Dove...unlike Pigeons (Rock Doves), they are soooo fragile and skittish that it is a real challenge to keep them alive. Amazing, really. Kudos to your friend(s).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jaye,

Thanks for the reply.Actually I have not done the mister bottle and will give it a try. And I am relieved that PB attitude is a good sign of being healthy.

I will ck out the clinics you suggested and thank you for doing the leg work for me.
As for the type of bird PB is, I am not exactly sure but PB is definitely a pigeon no doubt about it.And as for Doves their are many now living around my house and I mean a whole flock has moved in the back yard. I just hope its enough company for PB during the day. And I finally got one picture posted of PB on my profile pic. I am working on more to put up in my album. Thank you again Jaye everyone is making me and PB feel so welcome it awesome. Have a great day!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yes, he (.....although my immediate first impression is that.... he's a 'she') is a Blue Bar Feral...might have a smattering of Check in the wings, although that could also be due to the fact that when a baby is growing up under stress or illness, their 'bar' pattern on the wing sometimes grows in broken-up a bit.

Cute pal. BTW...you can actually post a photo directly to a thread by doing this:

1) Go to the reply window and click "advanced" below.

2) On next page, go to reply window again and scroll down to "attachments" button, and click that.

3) Upload a pic from your computer to the thread and you are done.

Here's the thing...PB is bonded to you and your family can serve him quite happily as his "flock". Also...if you ever wanna get him/her a friend...the world is FULL of unrealeasable rescues...whether they be healed Ferals or lost Homers or lost Fancies.

(if you want, a vet can also do a DNA sexing to know for sure...or...you can just wait a year and see if PB happens to ever lay any eggs)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
finally some pics to post

Thanks again Jaye,
So here are some most recent pics of PB.And one of the Loft inside, I have officially secured the loft from predators and wild birds.And PB seemed ok when I went home for lunch and spent a little time with her(and let her out in the house for an hour). I will be posting more pics to show you all what she looks like today and also so you can see her beak area and whats going on with it That I think is not normal. plus she is scratching her face alot it seems. ok Ill be back again tonight in about two hours, thank you all again for your patience and help.
Chris;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK im home taking pictures and putting a list of things i got PB today. i will post soon please reply asap when i do i am very worried that i am or am not doing things correctly. Snd i know i talk alot and have many questions but could someone try answering a few more of them if you have time too look at previous post's. thanksyou guys!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Right...that was my first reaction when I saw the pic.

This might be stating the obvious:

You don't necessarily have to cover up all of the wire mesh, all the time...just make sure that nothing can get into a gap or pull it away. Looks like it's covered with a material ? I would suggest leaving at least one side open to the outside (open meaning, of course, open to the light/air....not to other animals ;)). People do this in a variety of ways...some with a mesh wall, some with windows/glass. It's nice when they can actually see out, it keep them occupied mentally.

Looks like a nice sized and pretty cushy little enclosure there, though. Nice work !

Just looking at her/his beak area, there doesn't appear to be anything odd-looking about it. he could just be going thru a molt. But...we also have to keep in mind here that the diet he has had up to now is also imbalanced, so that can have an effect on feather/plume health.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Also, I just noticed...what kind of heater is that ? If it is an electric one where it heats up coils, then the fan blows thru the coils to create the heat...

...you gotta get that outta there.

The electric coil heaters are really bad for birds...toxic, actually. A better choice are the oil-filled ones which look like little radiators (DeLonghi and some other brands). They don't give off harmful fumes like the electric coil ones do. An alternative is also a reptile heater which plugs into a lamp socket.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys I'm late and no pics, I was called in to work. I picked up
SuppLies and will list them tomorrow as well as have Pictures.

How cold is too cold for Pretty Bird? Being outside and all.

How small can a cage be for her if kept in the house.?

So PB's loft was designed out off two by fours and four by fours.
The mesh is just like chicken wire but plastic and it's doubled at the seems. It's strong enough to hold 200 lbs..construction grade material.3/4 of walls covered in plastic plexyglass 3/4" thick
it covers every were but the door. The door has metal chicken wire .reinforced with a crystal clear plastic sheet covering the entire front door. She sees out very well .
No more heater.she is safe and has a view . I would love for her to be in side. But the
wife is hard to convince. O gotta crash guys talk to you tomorrow :)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hi guys I'm late and no pics, I was called in to work. I picked up
SuppLies and will list them tomorrow as well as have Pictures.

How cold is too cold for Pretty Bird? Being outside and all.

How small can a cage be for her if kept in the house.?

So PB's loft was designed out off two by fours and four by fours.
The mesh is just like chicken wire but plastic and it's doubled at the seems. It's strong enough to hold 200 lbs..construction grade material.3/4 of walls covered in plastic plexyglass 3/4" thick
it covers every were but the door. The door has metal chicken wire .reinforced with a crystal clear plastic sheet covering the entire front door. She sees out very well .
No more heater.she is safe and has a view . I would love for her to be in side. But the
wife is hard to convince. O gotta crash guys talk to you tomorrow :)
Well, if he were properly acclimated (stayed in outdoor pin through summer and then into fall and winter) he would be ok down to at least 30 F. So long as there were no drafts at least.

Whether he can handle that this year depends on what he's used to. You can't suddenly change temperatures on birds.

An extra large guinea pig cage would be ok, since it sounds like you guys would let her out to play a lot.
The nice thing with guinea pig cages is that they have a high side, so there is less mess.

If possible, if she stays outside, upgrade the chicken wire to hardware cloth. Otherwise mice can get in and poop in the feed which causes salmonella. Snakes can also get in through chicken wire. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1290445&cp=2568443.2568451.2624969.1302712

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
more info and pics of PB and diet info

more pics coming. Can anyone tell me how to uplaod multiple pics to my album?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
PB nutrition

I am still only feeding her the seed but here are some additional items i found. Let me know please if this stuff is appropriate.

one is vitamin drops too add too food.

another is the only grit i could find

and still another is the seed she eats.

Oh and BTW Let's just refer to PB as a Her for now :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
more nutrition info for PB

and again I still have not given her any off this stuff. Plus I picked up some Peanuts. How often and how much should she get? I also put another pic of her poop.

And the Loft isnt finished . But for now zi was going to put a sheet of plastic (1/4 thick)that is perfectly clear over the opened side to keep drafts out.I dont know when I can get her a good heater so I hope she does ok for a few nights of 40-50 F temperatures.

And in regaurds to the guini pig cage . I have access to lots of metal sheets 6x6 with lots of prefabricated holes in them. kinda looks like a drain hole you see in the floor of your shower stall (no bath) but the hole are all over. and I do welding . Can I make her a cage? and do you have any suggestion for templates or plans i could follow? ok gotts run Ill ck back later this afternoon. Thanks everyone for taking me under your wing (haha get it under your wing?!!?).Bye for now!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts