Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... I am new here and I am grateful I found this forum. Today as I was grocery shopping, the store manager and employees were chasing a white pigeon out of the store. I took it in, thinking it was a dove. I don't care that it's a pigeon, mind you, but what can I do with it? I'm scared of diseases, as I have parakeets and a Meyer's parrot in my home. I have him in a spare cage on my pation, with food and seed. There is no band, it's definitely a pigeon and seems fully feathered, bright, alert and healthy. Should I just let him go???:confused:

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Thank you so much for assisting this pigeon! No, you should not just let it go. It went looking for assistance and got chased out of the store for that effort. It was lucky you were there to help.

It's not likely that the pigeon has anything that could be dangerous to you or your hookbills, but it is always best to practice good hygiene and keep the pigeon "quarantined" for a couple of weeks.

If you just release it, it will not likely find its home on its own and would seek humans for help again, and might not be so lucky the next time or will be picked off by a predator.

If you are not able to offer the bird a permanent home, please let us know, and we can try to assist with finding a home for it.

Thank you again for your kindness to this pigeon!

Terry

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think the biggest issue with hook bills & pigeons are being attacked. Parakeets shouldn't pose an issue (our little ringneck doesn't care about pigeons) but the Meyers might be deadly, so if you have them interact be careful.
Thank you for taking in this little guy.
Do you have any pics? Can he fly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yes, he can fly quite well... I was attempting to give him food and he flew out of the cage and is perched on the second floor balcony. I'm scared to death what to do now! I have a feeling I won't be able to catch him again, so if I leave out food and water, will that help? Possibly I can trap him? :confused:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If you leave daily seeds and water, he will come. If you are lucky and he roosts at night on your balcony , then you can catch him.

I hope he is healthy though and he just went into the store to " buy " some seeds. LOL :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope he stays in the area. I lost him on the roof, possibly roosting there, so I guess that's good. I left a bowl of canary seed and some water out... I feel horrible I lost him. :(

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do you think he was sick? Was he flying when you got him? How did you catch him in the store? May be it's a young pigeon learning to fly...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh he can fly like a real pro! He looks quite healthy, fully feathered and white as snow. I really would like t keep him, but in a condo, I don't think I can. Could you help me find him a SAFE place or home?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Oh he can fly like a real pro! He looks quite healthy, fully feathered and white as snow. I really would like t keep him, but in a condo, I don't think I can. Could you help me find him a SAFE place or home?
First of all you don't have him. Second, if he is healthy and can fly and you still see him around, then he knows how to survive in the wild. He may be a WILD WHITE PIGEON; It happens in the wild, but rarely.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
First of all you don't have him. Second, if he is healthy and can fly and you still see him around, then he knows how to survive in the wild. He may be a WILD WHITE PIGEON; It happens in the wild, but rarely.
That is wrong information.
There are no true wild pigeons only ferals. there are no native rock doves here in the USA. so this is a domestic pigeon that got loose and now is feral. how long he has been out or if he was hatched in a feral state is really not important. My guess would be because he is white he would of been supper for hawk a long time ago if he was feral and he would be with a family or flock if he was feral. He is most likley someone's release bird or a pet that got out. Not all pigeons know how to "survive" in a feral state, the savvy ones that find a flock can get along somehow but the life span is very short, it does not seem like it because they breed so readily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is wrong information.
There are no true wild pigeons only ferals. there are no native rock doves here in the USA. so this is a domestic pigeon that got loose and now is feral. how long he has been out or if he was hatched in a feral state is really not important. My guess would be because he is white he would of been supper for hawk a long time ago if he was feral and he would be with a family or flock if he was feral. He is most likley someone's release bird or a pet that got out. Not all pigeons know how to "survive" in a feral state, the savvy ones that find a flock can get along somehow but the life span is very short, it does not seem like it because they breed so readily.
I think he was captive-bred, he is very friendly, and will often let us handle him. I was able to get him back, he flew down from the roof and strolled back onto my patio. I left the door open all day for him to come and go as he wishes, but he stayed all day and fell asleep at night fall. He won't leave the patio at all now, and I guess I have decided to adopt him. Any advice on a good diet (I've been giving him canary seed) and a "cage" (maybe a rabbit hutch?) would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think he was captive-bred, he is very friendly, and will often let us handle him. I was able to get him back, he flew down from the roof and strolled back onto my patio. I left the door open all day for him to come and go as he wishes, but he stayed all day and fell asleep at night fall. He won't leave the patio at all now, and I guess I have decided to adopt him. Any advice on a good diet (I've been giving him canary seed) and a "cage" (maybe a rabbit hutch?) would be greatly appreciated.
Im sorry no one responded to you sooner.
a rabbit hutch can work fine on a coverd porch, he probably would be safer in one esp at night. for one pigeon you can look for dove food at petsmart in the wild bird section.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts