Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago myself and my partner rescued a fledgling collared dove. Now called Puffed!

He/she cannot fly. I am not sure why, but puffed can flutter down from things but when they try to take off they go no where. We have decided to keep puffed, as don’t think he’d fair too well and I kinda love the little fella! Puffed seems very healthy ( other than the lack of flight), with solid stool and feeds well.

Just looking for a little advice!

Should I get puffed a friend? If so, where from?
Hes currently eating seed and some little veggies and kept in a large based box (1.5m x 1m) with low sides kept inside. Large water bowl, nesting bowl and wooden perch. Does he need anything else?

Puffed is very friendly and loves to be handled, also sleeps a lot!

Any advice would be appreciated!
Bird Beak Feather Wing Stock dove

·
Registered
906 Posts
Given that the dove can fly downward, how about a narrow tiny-stepped or sloped spiral staircase from floor to just below the ceiling, with horizontal branches jutting outward like a tree? Sort of like a tall free-standing coat hanger with a spiral post. Like the drawing below but with one out of every ten steps projecting further outward like branches of a tree. Might be a fun way for the bird to exercise and get to fly downward anytime. Materials such as a wooden pole, dowel rods, a small wood saw, a drill and wood glue should do it. Maybe a rasp or sandpaper to soften the cut edges. And either a base or a chain to suspend it from the ceiling?

Line Font Parallel Rectangle Drawing

According to various throughly questionable Internet sites, Collared Doves eat insects occasionally, which is likely for nutritional reasons, so dried meal worms added to the diet maybe? Apparently they also like "small berries", so an indoor potted plant which produces a type of "small berry" that they like might be nice, if one could pin-down exactly what type of berries those might be...

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
You can also get grit from a petshop. This helps with digestion and contains minerals that they need. He is going to be an indoor bird, so get liquid calcium with added Vit D3 to put in the drinking water.

If he is bonded to you, he might not accept a friend easily. If you decide to get another one, do a slow introduction. Two seperate cages next to each other for a week or two. Try searching for rescue centres closeby. A handicapped dove will be a good choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts