Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've been taking care of a baby pigeon that must have fallen out of the nest. It was about 3 weeks old when I found it. I hand fed it for almost 2 weeks and then gradually weaned it. It's about 7 weeks old now. It flies well.
The problem is, I've been offering many things to eat, but there are only 2 things it is willing/able to swallow: Sorghum seeds (they're small and round and are a part of the store bought pigeon mix) and defrosted peas, which is what I used in order to wean it.
Some of the other seeds seem to be very attractive to her (let's assume it's a she), but it looks like she'ss unable to eat anything else other than the sorghum and peas. I thought the problem was size, so I tried many things: crushing bigger seeds (corn, wheat) into smaller pieces, offering small pieces of oatmeal or bread, soaking seeds in water, or adding small round seeds like black lentils, which are about the same size as the sorghum. She just picks them up, makes what looks like an attempt to eat them, and then they fall out of her beak. She tries again and again but the only thing that she actually swallows are the Sorghum and the peas (which are much bigger, so I don't understand what the problem is).
Could this be a physical problem or is she just super picky? and if she is picky, why would she try so hard to pick up the lentils again and again, but never swallow them? :confused:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
She is just being picky. Many of them are when they start eating. She should eventually get used to the different seeds. When she picks them up she is feeling them. She doesn't like the way they feel, maybe the size or something, so she drops them. Give her time to get used to the different seeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is just being picky. Many of them are when they start eating. She should eventually get used to the different seeds. When she picks them up she is feeling them. She doesn't like the way they feel, maybe the size or something, so she drops them. Give her time to get used to the different seeds.
Thanks! It does look like she's playing with them. Hope she will eat something else soon :)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Somtimes they like one seed and look for that one, but will eventually take the others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts