Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This morning i saw a little pigeon sitting in the middle of a busy road in London and not moving when the cars almost ran him over. I stopped and caught him - even though he ran away, and flapped his wings, he couldnt fly. If i'd left him, he would have been run over
Ive put him in a cat carrier in the dark but have no idea what i should feed him and i dont want him to die.
He has all his feathers - white with grey wings and tail - but is very small and looks young. His beak is pale and looks quite soft.
Ive tried to give him some wild bird seed but he's not interested so if anyone can help, i'd be so grateful.

thanks

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank you for rescuing this little pigeon.
He might be too young and doesn't know yet how to eat.
Have you checked him out for any injuries?
If you can post some pics we will be able to tell you if this is a young or adult pigeon then we can take it from there.

Reti

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Can you let us know what part of London you are in? There are a co0uple of pigeon rescue places that an help if you need them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi

thanks so much for replying. I will take a photo of him and post it as soon as i can. He's doing ok and has had a big drink of water but still no food. I've checked him and he appears to have no injuries and his wings are working ok - he's flapping them and trying to fly but not going anywhere.
Im in notting hill, west london.
I dont want him to starve so any advice of what to try and give him would really help.
so glad i found this site
thanks so much.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If it isn't eating on its own then it is best if you hand feed it. You can use defrosted corn or peas, or day old wholemeal bread dipped in water, or dog biscuits soaked in water until they are fluffy.

I would aim for 30 - 40 peas or corn kernels, or one slice of bread with the crusts cut off.

This video shows how to feed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hello, the two best places where you can take your pigeon are in Surrey about 45 mins drive from Central London.

London Wildcare Hospital,
Beddington Park,Church road,
WALLINGTON,
Surrey SM6 7NN

phone 0208 647 6230

open 8am-8pm

or PIGEON RECOVERY
8 Vermont Road,
Sutton,
Surrey 0208 644 7349

There are two boxes outside front door where you can safetly leave your pigeon ANYTIME. Please leave note through front door so they know there is a pigeon in the box. A donation would be appreciated but not essential.They are experts in caring for baby and young pigeons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi
I fed the little pigeon for a couple of days before letting it have a wander around my roof terrace with all the other pigeons that come to visit. It loved it and grew stronger for being with its own kind and having some sunshine. Yesterday morning it hopped onto the railings and took offover the gardens and disappeared around the corner. I was still worried about it so put notes through the doors to ask they keep a look out for it incase it was in trouble again.
Last night when i got home i saw it sitting with a mate on a roof over the gardens from mine. I know it was my bird as its white with grey wings and there hadnt been a white bird around before now.
i was so happy it had made it and found a friend so thank you all for assisting in giving this little bird a chance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saved a collared dove from a hawk

What to i do. He has lost his tail feathers. Have kept him warm. He will not eat or drink. I am in belfast northern ireland. can someone tell me what to do now

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
First of all, is this an adult collared dove? (Has he got his collar?)

How long have you had him?

Does he have any other injuries like claw puncture marks?

He might be in shock, so to start with put him somewhere quiet and dark, if you have a hot water bottle fill that and wrap it in a twoel, place the dove on it. Scatter wild bird seed around him and place a little bowl of water near him.

This is the only suitable rescue place I know of in NI, I don't know how far from you that is:

Tact Avian Care Trust
2 Crumlin Road
Crumlin
County Antrim
BT29 4AD

Tel (028) 9442 2900

T.A.C.T operates a policy whereby NO animal is humanely destroyed if it cannot be released or found a good home. Animals that cannot be returned to the wild are given a home at the Centre and looked after for the rest of their natural lives by a team of dedicated staff and volunteers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
just provide him seeds and water. most likely he will not eat/drink unless he is alone and he is really hungry.

feel his crop at the end of the day, if it still empty you need to force feed. defrosted peas/corn is the easiest way. just warm them and force it one by one down his throat.
check this movie

as for the tail, it will grow back as far as I know, but I think you need to keep him until then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts