Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I rescued a pigeon today and its eyes are completely swollen shut...the skin around the eyes look like tumors or cluster of cysts...Please see photo, I have cleaned both skin around eyes soro, I am in Brazil it is around 11:30pm...I also diluted tea tree oil and passed a light coat a few hours ago...I read on some other posts about using bactin/anti bacterial oitment...I don't know how to say it in english. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. His one eye is completely shut and the other is just a pin hole left open.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Pigeon pox... give it some time and it'll actually run its course--you won't even know it ever happened.

Usually.

That being said, you may have to keep feeding him while it clears up.

Pidgey

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes. It's a virus usually spread by mosquitoes. Please don't use tea tree oil near the eyes. The lesions will eventually dry up and fall off. It is very contagious to other birds, so if you have other birds, use very good hygiene after handling him, and wash hands very well.
He can't see, so until it clears up, you will have to hand feed him, and gently lower his beak into a small crock of water, but not over his nostrils, several times a day.
Do you know how to hand feed a pigeon?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you

thank you Jay and Pidgey, ok I do know how to feed a pigeon I have 3 of my own but I had never seen this type of infection so bad before. So you are both advising just to keep the area clean and it will clear on its own then? No antibiotics required? Thanks again for the fast reply.:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's right. There is always the possibility that he could develop canker because of the stress. So if you see signs of that, then treat for canker. May not have to though.
Just keep him away from your other birds, and remember very good hand washing and wear a shirt or something when caring for him, that you change afterward. Please let us know how it's going.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this bird.

PLEASE do not use tea tree oil, diluted or not around eyes, nostrils, beak. It is toxic if vapor is inhaled. Yes, it works, but use only on lesions on body or legs. Protect eyes and nostrils/beak.

You can use colloidal or nano silver, 10ppm, one drop in each eye, you can use this on lesions.

There is a homeopathic called thuja occidentalis, which are small tablets which has been used successfully to reduce lesions and speed up healing of pox lesions.

Here is another thread on homeopathic treatment for pox: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/homeopathic-treatment-for-pigeon-pox-31018.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Thanks, I read here that many pigeons die if left untreated, so I didn't know IF it had to have antibiotics or creams. I also read it is good to apply iodine (the red stuff) is this true to help speed up the recover?

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I don't think it is contagious to dogs or cats. Would just let it run its course and the bird should recover. Thank younger helping him!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
There are two forms: #1 Internal ("wet pox" or "diphtheritic") pox which you don't usually see stuff on the outside; and, #2 "Dry pox", which appears to be the kind your bird is "presenting" with.

The internal kind is usually fatal. And, yes, I think they can get both at the same time, if memory serves (no personal experience). Short of supportive therapy, there ain't just a whole lot to do besides keeping them safe, fed and watered.

Pidgey

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Hi Thanks, I read here that many pigeons die if left untreated, so I didn't know IF it had to have antibiotics or creams. I also read it is good to apply iodine (the red stuff) is this true to help speed up the recover?
Antibiotics are for bacteria which don't work on virus. Virus runs its course and leaves. Birds die because they don't eat and drink while down with virus. Also, when there is severity of pox, they may develop canker which is fatal if left untreated.
Your bird just needs supportive care, feed him and make him drink as advised (don't put water in his mouth, just dip his beak in a crock of water but not over the nostrils).
Some people use iodine, tea tree oil, betadine etc. You will not use iodine and tea tree oil near eyes, beak or nostrils. If betadine eye drops are available, you can use it in eyes also which is effective.
Colloidal silver is also useful if you can get it.

Do update us on his progress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts