Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I found an injured pigeon at work and I named him Dave. To offer some context, he had what I thought to be a broken leg, (but he's now putting slight pressure on that leg and stretching it.. still limps though.) and some missing feathers on his back. I'm assuming he escaped from somewhere and was attacked. He has two bands, one around each leg with one dating to 2019. No Number to call on the bands, or any way to contact previous owners. He eats from my hand and allows me to VERY gently pet him but anything else he HATES. I give him all the space he needs but I'm scared he could get lonely or sad? He also only drinks water when I hold his bowl to him. He has a huge dog cage as his home and I let him have free range of my room multiple hours a day. I have a vet appointment for Friday. I'm wondering if you guys have any tips or tricks for making him feel more safe or at home. I have never owned a pigeon so I'm scared of not doing enough for Dave. Most of the day he spends sitting still or picking at his feathers, but for a short spurt every day he is adventurous and plays with things around my room. I want the best for him. He has a little box for extra shelter in his cage, which he went into on his own for the first time today, I have had Dave for 4 days. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Thanks for saving Dave. Pigeons are not that active. In nature they will forage for food in the morning and afternoon, chase intruders (other pigeons) from their "space" and spend the rest of the day chilling. Sounds like you might have a female. Does she have a mirror? They love to watch their own reflection and this will help her feeling less lonely. Do you have the following for her as well: calcium with added Vit D3 to add to her drinking water and a good quality grit? If she is female, she will lay eggs in the future. This will help prevent her getting eggbound.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts