Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a pigeon yesterday from my work.Found out he had been there since Friday.He looks healthy other then one wing is lower then the other and underneath that wing it's all dry and looks bad (no blood) just less feathers and you can see more skin.I bought a cage yesterday (smaller then I would like but what I could afford) and he is in that.He eats bread from my hand and I have put Dove feed and wild bird feed in the feeder he doesn't seem interested in that.He will take water from my finger rubbing on his beak but I haven't seen him drink.I tried to wrap his wing according to the instructions on the web at (duckpolice.org) but I couldn't get it - after over two hours!I covered the cage last night and put him out on the patio (in the cage) out of direct sunlight today.I just don't know what to do with him.I would never let him back out seeing as he is injured in some way but I don't know if wrapping him is even an option seeing as it has been 5 days since he was hurt and I just helped him yesterday.So any help on feeding and hydration, housing (like where and how big), health concerns for me (catching anything) and him or/her and info on the wing would be great. If you can please email me directly at [email protected] with this info as I am at work (no computer at home right now) and may not be able to keep this link open.

· Registered
13,150 Posts
Where are you located?
Can you post a picture? You may have a young bird that doesn't know how to eat seed yet.

· Registered
13,150 Posts
Defrost some corn and peas under hot water until they are defrosted. Gently open the bird's beak and pop the pieces at the back of the throat. You will need to feed 40-50 pieces each time the crop empties which will be 2-3 hours. It's very likely that the bird will start eating these on it's own because they are soft and easy for a bird learning to eat, to pick up. I've had 2 birds of about the same age, this month, that figured it out within 24 hours. Once they do, its pretty easy to get them to eat seed.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this is an adult bird..Its large and will rummage through the bird feeder..he picked out a couple of smaller seeds and tried to eat the corn kernel in the mix but prefers the bread (which I know is bad)..I read a post that said to "tough love" and take away the bread and he will it the seed - is this true? I don't know what you mean by crop? What the heck is that...I am a complete bird idiot, I just love animals and can't see anything left to just suffer...after reading my post is everything else I set up correct?He has fresh water (although he keeps pooping in it) and he has a small cage (a modest sized bird cage) seed mix (and I will try the peas and corn) and the cage has round sticks that he has hopped up on..I can take him to my vet Saturday but I am afraid his wing needs to be wrapped now...should I attempt again to wrap it? I feel like I am hurting him...he calms down and lets me pet his head and all but after I try to wrap his wing or mess with that wing he pecks at me...poor thing...I would peck too...I just feel helpless in helping him.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and I will get a picture of him tomorrow...didn't have time today as I am work..he is at my home unattended while I am work...he is in the cage as I said on a well protected patio, with indirect sunlight..I'm in Florida so it's warm out today...but I didn't have a choice...I bring him in the house when we are home...but I have dogs and they would love to bother him all day if I put him in the house...besides I thought he may enjoy the fresh air and the warmer temp of the outside (again with shade and all) rather then be in a cool house....

· Registered
13,150 Posts
It is nearly impossible to tell a young Pigeon from an adult unless you know Pigeons and so until you can post a picture and we can tell you this is an adult, please hand feed the defrosted corn and peas. They do contain moisture and will help with dehydration.
If you need help you can call me, as you don't have a coumputer at home, and I will talk you though the process.
I'm in Oregon and so I'm 3 hours earlier than you. Here's my cell...
We also have a member in the Miami area. She may be working right now. Perhaps I can connect you two.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh that is awesome..thank you...I will do that...I get home around 6:40ish Florida time...I've got your cell ...your name it is Charis? Thanks so much...again...and I will get that picture tonight and post tomorrow...do you need just a plain picture or is there something you need a picture of...like from a certain angle or something????I know dumb...but just in case...

· Registered
13,150 Posts
Especially a picture of the face and beak. Yes...my real name is Charis.. prodounced...chair-us.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great name...luv it...thanks again...uhmmm I see in your pictures you have a bird free in the house...which I would like to do when the dogs are outside...but one question...does it poop everywhere? Because this bird now named Petey poops a lot. I don't want poop everywhere, but would like to be able to let it stretch it's wings and stuff so I am just wondering what to expect...oh and can I "catch" anything from it by handling?My family is concerned....

· Registered
13,150 Posts
Yes, there are always birds free in my house. Yes they do poop. For the most part, Pigeons find a place to roost and poop from that spot. it's pretty easy to put a newspaper underneath to catch the droppings and then discard and replace. They are several places that make diapers for birds and they are affordable. My house birds are always confined to their cage when I am away. It's safer for them and I do have a dog that I just don't trust 100%.
The biggest concern with birds in the house is the dust. Pigeons especially are very dusty and it's not good for people with breathing issues. ...a lot of birds in the house could create breathing issues for one that doesn't already have issues.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay...good to know...yes it seemed like he was fine for a while and then moved to a spot and pooped...then he would walk away and be fine but after seeing his cage last night OMG...he's a busy little bird!Petey is all black with orange eyes...he really is a good looking bird...I am worried about the wing...whether it's broken or infected underneath...I just don't know whether to wrap it....since its been so long already...but I am wondering if I don't try will he ever be able to fly again and therefore be one of our new adopted pets?

· Registered
13,150 Posts
It's good to know you are in Orlando. It does sound like you have an adult bird. I'm going to private message Reti's phone number to you. She may be able to help you with the wing.

· Registered
13,150 Posts
Just sent you her numbers via private message.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again Charis...this is awesome...I am so glad that folks out there care for all Creatures big and small...sometimes when you rescue something people make fun of you because they "rate" the value of life for how cute that animal is...and believe me I heard all sorts of crap about "rat birds" and they carry germs....it's just a pigeon...but I just wouldn't have it....Petey is sweet and just needs some help!!

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Picture of Injury

These are pictures of the injured pigy I am helping....does anyone have any idea what this is under his wing...he is holding it lower then the other and can't fly really well...I thought it was broken but then when I saw this under his wing and it's not under the other I thought it might be something...its not an open wound and it's not bleeding it's just funky looking.

Attachments

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, I didn't know it was going to turn out that big!! I am going to resize them...there are no feathers where it's pink and there is a lump at the top of the curve of the wing that is under the skin and not on the other side....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.