Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My husband and I took in a pigeon, we tried to find a rescue but there were none in our area.
He had an injured leg and it's been healing up pretty good past few weeks. All of a sudden today he is swaying back and forth and tipping.
We've been giving him pigeon food, and cooked buckwheat. We gave him some raw buckwheat and a few popcorn kernels last night which is the only difference. Haven't seen him drink but up until today his poo looked healthy. Now it looks runny.

We have been soaking his seeds in water with a very small pinch of honey and salt to try to get him water. He doesnt seem to know how to drink. He appears to be quite young.

He was really chipper yesterday than all of a sudden today..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned up the runny one he had this am. Can kinda see another there. But it looks a bit better maybe. He also has a cut/scab on this back. Maybe the original injury? Looks like it is healing. I haven't seen him fall on his face since this morning, he seems to be regaining some coordination. He's been eating today and flapped his wings. But not as perky as yesterday (as in he keeps his head squished down like in the photo)

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Get some natural unfiltered apple cider vinegar to put in his drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This creates a hostile environment for bad bacteria. See if the droppings improve. If they don't, post some close up photos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. If your still here, I was wondering. I don't actually see him drink, and if I stick a spoon infront of him or touch his beak with water he doesn't drink. So I've been relying on soaking the seeds in water and giving him 3 times per day. Is there any chance he is too young to know how to drink? (Or she)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Usually when they start eating seeds, then they drink water as well. You might not see him drink, but check the waterlevel of the container to see if it decreases.

If you need to handfeed, try defrosted green peas. Defrost in warm water till soft and then feed as you are feeding the seeds. Peas have lots of moisture. He will need about 120 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 40 each.

Is the crop emptying ok? Must be completely empty in the morning and plenty of droppings produced overnight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts