Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just wanted to share Broly’s story and if anyone has any advice dealing with poisoned pigeons or just advice in general :)

Two nights ago a friend found a lone lost racing pigeon outside their house just staring at their house standing in the same spot, not flying, moving, or anything. Just seemed to be staring into a void. She thought it was weird but thought he would just fly away and be alright. Hours later her husband came home and the pigeon was still there in the same spot not moving just standing there! She got concerned and took him on her back porch and put him in a box. He couldn’t fly even though he didn’t seem injured at all. She lets me know cause I’m the only person she knows who has a pigeon and I came right away with seed and water and he wouldn’t eat or drink. He had dark green watery stools and the white parts were a chalky off white color. I took him in and got him to drink a little pedialyte. I took him to the vet and they said he was poisoned! They did a bunch of tests and some of them didn’t come back yet. His liver enzymes were super high and white blood count high as well..the good thing is he is now eating and drinking on his own (he’s eating/ drinking so much!) he also isn’t having seizures so that is a good sign at least. Now I am giving him two shots of calcium disodium a day, three different nutritional complex powders (herbal natural) that they gave me one for seizures just in case, gout, and something else I think to support the liver and other organs. Those powders are mixed in water and given twice a day orally. And then ketoconazole that I put into his water once a day. He is doing better, eating almost nonstop, he must have been soo hungry poor boy. His stools are still looking the same which I am hoping to see better very soon. I also got him a heating infrared lamp for him cause his feet were cold. I am thinking he will make a swift recovery. I have to go back to the vet in 6 days for the next doxycycline shot, and then after I finish the meds (I’m giving them daily for about two weeks), I go back to the vet for bloodwork. He’s costing me a lot of money this one lol but I thought he would make a perfect husband for my female bird Clancy! Wish me luck everyone! Those dropping is when I first got him. They look a bittt better but still bad
Font Gas Music Metal Musical instrument

Bird Beak Feather Wing Metal

Purple Amber Music Pink Entertainment

Water Liquid Hood Sky Aquatic plant

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
This pigeon can be so lucky he ended up with you.

I've only dealt once with poisoned pigeons and doves. Our nextdoor neighbour (we've sinced moved to another town) used methamidosis on seeds that his labourers scattered on the roof of his double storey house. I've only realized what they've done when lots of pigeons and doves started dying. The effects were horrible. They were completely lame, just dropping from trees and roofs. And very very thirsty. I managed to save a few, but was never able to proof that he was the one that caused the poisoning. I've send dead birds away for a necropsy and that's how the poison was identified. This just broke my heart and I will never forget or forgive the person responsible.

So take good care of him. I hope he has a long and happy life with you.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hi, how is he doing? I'm very glad to know that he is doing well and that he is in good hands!

I have experience only with anticoagulant rat poison. Here in France my ex neighbor poisoned pigeons and doves with the one in red grain. Fortunately she moved away years ago..

In Italy I found 5 dead pigeons on my balcony. I talked to my vet and to an animal association and they both suspected poison so I filed a police report. At least police talked to the building manager and I haven't found other dead birds...

What are the ingredients of your plant based liver supplement? Recently I bought one containing, among its ingredients, artichoke and it made wonders for my pigeon Londo. She got an infection and had very very watery droppings (same amount of cat pee!). Even when she started to eat again seeds on her own she had that issue. Thanks to the liver supplement she stopped with those droppings.
Even my mum is used to drink a herbal tea containing artichoke (for her liver) and she finds it very helpful. Artichoke has many health benefits.

Good luck to your lovely Broly! Keep up updates!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, how is he doing? I'm very glad to know that he is doing well and that he is in good hands!

I have experience only with anticoagulant rat poison. Here in France my ex neighbor poisoned pigeons and doves with the one in red grain. Fortunately she moved away years ago..

In Italy I found 5 dead pigeons on my balcony. I talked to my vet and to an animal association and they both suspected poison so I filed a police report. At least police talked to the building manager and I haven't found other dead birds...

What are the ingredients of your plant based liver supplement? Recently I bought one containing, among its ingredients, artichoke and it made wonders for my pigeon Londo. She got an infection and had very very watery droppings (same amount of cat pee!). Even when she started to eat again seeds on her own she had that issue. Thanks to the liver supplement she stopped with those droppings.
Even my mum is used to drink a herbal tea containing artichoke (for her liver) and she finds it very helpful. Artichoke has many health benefits.

Good luck to your lovely Broly! Keep up updates!
I’m happy to update everyone Broly is doing super well! His dropping are normal and he is eating good and drinking good! He is such a good sport about taking his meds but I feel bad cause he gets scared of me afterwards. He is very shy but also still not adjusted to his new home cause I keep having to take him in and out his cage to give meds, put new newspaper on his cage, etc. but he seems to be getting better. I’m not sure what is in the nutritional complexes but I will ask the vet when I see them Monday. He is so strong. He is getting his strength back cause it is harder to hold him as he fights back, which is a good sign though. Also he flew for the first time ! Just a little bit, from my bed to on top of his cage but still he’s gaining his balance back and that’s the first time I saw him try to fly! And when I would put him down he would always fall cause he was so sick but I think he is gaining his balance back finally! I get the feeling since he is a racing pigeon that he still is like “I have to go back” cause he is so trained. But eventually he will settle in right? I got him some carrot, ginger, tumeric, apple, and lemon juice to give his meds instead of plain OJ I have been giving but do you know if that’s ok for him? I heard carrot juice is good but idk about the other stuff. But yeah he is a trooper for sure. I also was like should I try offering him a bath? But he is still so shy when I take him out of the cage he just stands in one spot mostly but he actually got more brave and started walking around a little bit. But he probably hasn’t has a bath in a long time and who knows if he has poison on his skin still! I will offer him a lukewarm bath see if he likes. Hopefully he warms up to me after all this medicine giving. And eventually when he is cleared for all illness he can meet my female pigeon ;) lol. I only have about 9 more days of giving meds so that isnt too bad. Thank you all for your concern and words of encouragement!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and cayenne pepper are natural antibiotics. I saw on a FB pigeon racing site that owners mix this in with food once a week to keep their pigeons healthy. The carrot and apple juice might be a bit sugary so don't give too much as sugar can promote yeast overgrowth. A general vitamin supplement for pigeons will be a better option. You can get apple cider vinegar (the one with the "mother") and put this in their drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This helps to keep the good bacteria in place and prevent diseases.

He will settle down in time. It's normal for them to be scared of hands. When he finished the course of meds, you can win him over with chopped up raw unsalted peanuts as they love this. But in limited quantities as peanuts have a high fat content.

Put down a large dish of water and play with the water by using your fingers. He might take a bath, don't force him. Let him dry off in a nice sunny spot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and cayenne pepper are natural antibiotics. I saw on a FB pigeon racing site that owners mix this in with food once a week to keep their pigeons healthy. The carrot and apple juice might be a bit sugary so don't give too much as sugar can promote yeast overgrowth. A general vitamin supplement for pigeons will be a better option. You can get apple cider vinegar (the one with the "mother") and put this in their drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This helps to keep the good bacteria in place and prevent diseases.

He will settle down in time. It's normal for them to be scared of hands. When he finished the course of meds, you can win him over with chopped up raw unsalted peanuts as they love this. But in limited quantities as peanuts have a high fat content.

Put down a large dish of water and play with the water by using your fingers. He might take a bath, don't force him. Let him dry off in a nice sunny spot.
I'm very glad to hear that he is doing very well!

As you asked about squeezed lemon juice, here is an article about the use of acids in pigeons:

I read an article written by an Italian vet who confirmed that.

Keep us updated!
Well now I’m freaking out now I pulled something off of him that I saw crawling idk what it is and now I’m afraid my whole room is infested but IDK but I’m freaked out idk what to do I will call vet tomorrow but ahhhhh I have no idea if it’s a lice or a mite. Can anyone identify this?
Atmosphere Water Insect Astronomical object Sky

Insect Arthropod Pest Parasite Electric blue

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Looks like lice. Try to get something from a petshop for external parasites. One or two drops between the shoulders will sort this out. The lice won't leave the host, your room will be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone I just wanted to share Broly’s story and if anyone has any advice dealing with poisoned pigeons or just advice in general :)

Two nights ago a friend found a lone lost racing pigeon outside their house just staring at their house standing in the same spot, not flying, moving, or anything. Just seemed to be staring into a void. She thought it was weird but thought he would just fly away and be alright. Hours later her husband came home and the pigeon was still there in the same spot not moving just standing there! She got concerned and took him on her back porch and put him in a box. He couldn’t fly even though he didn’t seem injured at all. She lets me know cause I’m the only person she knows who has a pigeon and I came right away with seed and water and he wouldn’t eat or drink. He had dark green watery stools and the white parts were a chalky off white color. I took him in and got him to drink a little pedialyte. I took him to the vet and they said he was poisoned! They did a bunch of tests and some of them didn’t come back yet. His liver enzymes were super high and white blood count high as well..the good thing is he is now eating and drinking on his own (he’s eating/ drinking so much!) he also isn’t having seizures so that is a good sign at least. Now I am giving him two shots of calcium disodium a day, three different nutritional complex powders (herbal natural) that they gave me one for seizures just in case, gout, and something else I think to support the liver and other organs. Those powders are mixed in water and given twice a day orally. And then ketoconazole that I put into his water once a day. He is doing better, eating almost nonstop, he must have been soo hungry poor boy. His stools are still looking the same which I am hoping to see better very soon. I also got him a heating infrared lamp for him cause his feet were cold. I am thinking he will make a swift recovery. I have to go back to the vet in 6 days for the next doxycycline shot, and then after I finish the meds (I’m giving them daily for about two weeks), I go back to the vet for bloodwork. He’s costing me a lot of money this one lol but I thought he would make a perfect husband for my female bird Clancy! Wish me luck everyone! Those dropping is when I first got him. They look a bittt better but still bad View attachment 99167
View attachment 99166
View attachment 99165
View attachment 99164
Salmonila

1 - 14 of 14 Posts