Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
This pigeon can be so lucky he ended up with you.

I've only dealt once with poisoned pigeons and doves. Our nextdoor neighbour (we've sinced moved to another town) used methamidosis on seeds that his labourers scattered on the roof of his double storey house. I've only realized what they've done when lots of pigeons and doves started dying. The effects were horrible. They were completely lame, just dropping from trees and roofs. And very very thirsty. I managed to save a few, but was never able to proof that he was the one that caused the poisoning. I've send dead birds away for a necropsy and that's how the poison was identified. This just broke my heart and I will never forget or forgive the person responsible.

So take good care of him. I hope he has a long and happy life with you.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and cayenne pepper are natural antibiotics. I saw on a FB pigeon racing site that owners mix this in with food once a week to keep their pigeons healthy. The carrot and apple juice might be a bit sugary so don't give too much as sugar can promote yeast overgrowth. A general vitamin supplement for pigeons will be a better option. You can get apple cider vinegar (the one with the "mother") and put this in their drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This helps to keep the good bacteria in place and prevent diseases.

He will settle down in time. It's normal for them to be scared of hands. When he finished the course of meds, you can win him over with chopped up raw unsalted peanuts as they love this. But in limited quantities as peanuts have a high fat content.

Put down a large dish of water and play with the water by using your fingers. He might take a bath, don't force him. Let him dry off in a nice sunny spot.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Looks like lice. Try to get something from a petshop for external parasites. One or two drops between the shoulders will sort this out. The lice won't leave the host, your room will be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts