Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a rescued pigeon that I have had for over a year. He survived PMV and is left with the terrible side effect that he can't fly. He is housed inside in an extra large dog crate. When I first placed him in this crate he was coming out and hanging with me in different spots all over the house, mostly in my office on a brick. He would go back inside to get food every so often but would hang out with me most of the day. Around 5:00 he would go back into his cage for the night. When I first set up the crate, I placed a wooden hanging toy for parrots I believe in the crate. He never paid it much attention till lately. He is totally obsessed with the toy. He will barely come out of the crate now. It took him 6 months to discover the toy. He was coming out every morning long enough for me to clean his cage and give fresh water and food for the day. This morning I can't get him to come out for anything. he will not come to me even after so long of me handling and taking care of him. He is a feral. he was probably around 5 months give or take when he got sick last year. At first we though it was a female, then after almost a year he started cooing and doing the "dance" that the males do. I have done tons of research on the pigeons. I wanted to learn everything that i can to try to help him. I have tried using treats, roasted unsalted crushed peanuts, to get him to come to me but that doesn't work. He loves the peanuts just will not eat them out of my hand. I talk to him all day long and sing to him will I work. I am with him 24/7. I work from home. I know everyone says he needs a mate but I can't get him a mate. I am worried about him going from mr. social to mr. unsocial. Meaning him staying in the cage all day. Is this normal? Am I worried for nothing? Just looking for some advice.
Thanks for any advice that I can get
Cindy

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he is so engrossed in his toy and doesn't want to interact with you then he is probably very lonely and does need a mate. It is very unnatural for a pigeon to be alone without a mate or at least the companionship of other pigeons. You don't want to do that, so don't think there is much else you can do. You are expecting him to act normally in a very unnatural setting. He sounds to be very unhappy. You can't make him happy on your terms. It is what it is. They are not usually happy without the companionship of other pigeons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that he needs a mate but how the heck am I suppose to do that. There are no places for adoption here. I have looked and besides I would need one that couldn't fly like him. That wouldn't be fair to him if his mate can fly and he can't. I guess you don't understand that I was only trying to help a sick bird get well and ended up with a pet. I don't want him to make him happy on my terms. Where did that come from? I just want him to be safe happy and healthy. I have supplied him with the safest environment that I can. I am taking care of him the best way I know how. I don't know of very many people that would have done what i have for him. Most people out here think they are flying rats. I don't agree but like I said I am doing all that I can. He seems to be really happy though. He bobs his head when i talk to him he dances for me and he even shakes his tail feathers up and down when I sing to him. By all accounts that indicates a happy bird. I have talked to a few people in CA that have a rescue center and they gave me that information.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I understand that he needs a mate but how the heck am I suppose to do that. There are no places for adoption here. I have looked and besides I would need one that couldn't fly like him. That wouldn't be fair to him if his mate can fly and he can't.

It won't matter if the mate can fly. They often will pair up with a mate that can fly even if they cannot. I'm sure he would rather have that than no companion.

I guess you don't understand that I was only trying to help a sick bird get well and ended up with a pet. I don't want him to make him happy on my terms. Where did that come from?

That came from the fact that a companion is what would make him happy, and you are saying that is the one thing you cannot do. So if that is what he needs, but you want him to be happy anyway, then it is on your terms, not his. And yes, I do understand that you were only trying to help a sick bird, and ended up with a pet. Why do you feel that I do not understand that? It still doesn't change how they are wired. It is what it is.
And many people do the same and rescue pigeons and end up with pets. And then we try to fill their requirements so they will live as good a life as we can give them. It isn't always easy or convenient. You asked what would make him happy. I'm just trying to explain that they just aren't happy as lone pigeons. I can't help what is.

I just want him to be safe happy and healthy. I have supplied him with the safest environment that I can. I am taking care of him the best way I know how. I don't know of very many people that would have done what i have for him. Most people out here think they are flying rats. I don't agree but like I said I am doing all that I can. He seems to be really happy though. He bobs his head when i talk to him he dances for me and he even shakes his tail feathers up and down when I sing to him. By all accounts that indicates a happy bird. I have talked to a few people in CA that have a rescue center and they gave me that information.
What that indicates is that he wants a mate. He is trying to make you his mate as he has no other options. But that really isn't natural or easy on him, as you can't share a nest and a life with him, and are not there all the time with him. And you are not a bird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts