Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help. Last night I caught my dog chasing a young pigeon. After scolding him, I realized the pigeon had lost all his tail feathers. He is not hurt. He tries to fly. We have alot of cats in the neighborhood, so I brought him indoors, put water and seed in a birdcage. He seems alright. He had a good night. I do not plan on keeping him. Should I release him? Can he fly at all without his tailfeathers? If not, how long should I wait before attempting to release him?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
You might have to keep him a few weeks until his tail feathers grow back.
They can fly without tail feathers but not as well and that makes him vulnerable to predators.
If the feathers are pulled out and not broken he will grow them back in 2-3 weeks.
Did you check him over for other injuries?

Reti

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Alb...are you positive that your dog didn't open a wund anyhwere on the bird...even a scrape or small abrasion ?

This is important, because if there is some wound anywhere, the pigeon will need some antibiotics. Even the smalles break of the skin from a dog, cat, or other predator can infect a bird very easily and quickly. And unlike mammals, they cannot fight off infection by themselves.

Thanks for saving him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts