Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple days ago, I attended a football game at my high school. Underneath the top box, there's a gap that they had covered with wire mesh. During the game, I looked up and saw two pigeons trapped in there.
Today, as soon as I got the chance, I walked back down the my school and, with the assistance of a very nice old man who was running on the track, managed to get them out.
I picked one of them up and he was incredibly skinny and weak. They haven't made a sound since I got them out about half an hour ago, and they can't fly more than an inch or two off the ground. I decided the best thing to do was to take them home and nurture them back to health before releasing them back into the wild. They have incredibly green watery stool as well.
Despite his (or possibly her) condition, one of them is incredibly friendly and appreciative of my help. For about half of the walk home, s/he was perched on my shoulder casually.
Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated. I've been a pigeon keeper for less than a year, and I haven't had to deal with this level of problem before. I live in Ogden, UT, so if you know of anywhere I can take them, I would love to know.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They must be warmed and re-hydrated before feeding them. The green droppings are probably starvation poops. But it is very important to get them rehydrated before giving them food. A cup of tepid water into which you have put a good pinch of salt and of sugar. Offer it to them and see if they will drink it.

Can you post pics of them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were drinking plain water before, so I went out and switched it for some salt/sugar water. here are their pictures:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Please keep them contained where it is warm and out of drafts. A heating pad would be preferrable. They do not have any energy to keep their body temp when they are starved. READ the ABOVE link.

IF they are drinking on their own, then they may eat on their own, but get them warmed up first for an hour.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Leave a bowl of feed and a dish of water with them after warming them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put another hot water battle in their makeshift coop for the night and moved it into the shed, because I noticed a stray cat lurking about (and by lurking I mean he was right up in my lawn) and he was eyeing them. They'll be safer and hopefully warmer in there. I can't move them into my house, because I own cats myself, and I don't want them getting any ideas. They know not to touch my pigeons, but these new ones are probably seen as fair game to them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, the one with the white speckles around his eyes didn't make it though the night. He was the one I was most worried about, and it's not too much of a surprise. I replaced the hot water bottle again for the other, and I'll be giving him a proper burial.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

Did you feed them yesterday?

Can you move the other one inside, in a room not occupied by cats?

The bird needs to be closely observed.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They probably went too long without food or water. Would have had a better chance if you could have gotten them sooner.That's too bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts