Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had so many babies lately, like never before. That is thanks to the wildlife center.
Yesterday Lucky's first mom came to visit him from Broward. While talking she mentioned she feeds a big flock of pijies and many ducks in her yard. I was very happy as she agreed to soft release five of the babies into her flock, so the sweet babies left last night with my friend and will be released next week.

I have one baby now for two weeks. He must have been around three weeks when I got him, very skinny and docile.
He is eating on his own now quite a lot and poops are great and plentiful, but he is not growing. He is very small with many feathers still missing around the neck and face.
He gained about 20gr since he's been here.
Anyways, besides sleeping most of the time two night ago he started coughing and making gurgling sounds. It sounds like he has fluid in his lungs.
I started him on Doxycycline thinking he has a respiratory infection but I don't see any improvement in his condition.
It could be viral of course but I wonder if I should switch the antibiotic or add another one.
Please let me know if you have any advice on this.

Reti

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi RETI, Your bird may have wet canker which is down in the wind pipe this canker does not look like the canker that most of us know. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you George.
I thought of canker, but didn't see anything obvious down her throat and I would think that if it was canker she would be much sicker.
I don't know if I ever had a bird with wet canker, at least not that I know of.
I will start him on Flagyl.

Reti

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's been on Flagyl and injectable Baytril for five days now and there is not improvement in his breathing.
He still makes those gurgling sounds, not as much as before but still quite some.
Otherwise he is eating and drinking and he gained some weight, but I wonder what else to do.

Reti

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
That gurgling sounds like a symptom of respiratory infection, how long did you originally treat for that?

I would not hesitate to do the supportive stuff, like garlic caps, Reishi and colloidal silver-if you haven't.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I give the colloidal silver but have held off the garlic as she was very skinny still, she has gained some weight now, so I can start her on it.

Reti

1 - 6 of 6 Posts