Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Please help!
I found a juvenile feral pigeon which was very weak and starving (his behavior shows the bird is tame, at least for sure raised by humans, it cannot be released in the street).

Now he has a respiratory problem from time to time. I thought it was improving but it isn't.
- hard difficulties to breathe with opening beak (especially at night), sound of obstructed airways, less than once a day he manages to expectore some yellow mucus.

Otherwise no other symptoms:
  • eating well
  • drinking a bit
  • dropping look ok (moulded, brown with white, uncolored urates)
  • clean beak and keen eyes ok
  • nothing noticeable inside his beak, as far as I could check (looks pink)
  • when he can breathe normally, he is very active, flying in the room, cleaning himself, ....

Here in Paris it will be very difficult to find a vet for a feral. I fear he would just euthanize him without examinating. Difficult to find meds too.

I did:
  • put some apple cider in his water.
  • When he is in "crisis", I put his beak in hot salted water, he puts his beak in by himself and it seems to help a little bit but not for long.
  • I put 1 drop of eucalyptus oil on a tissue not too close of his area
  • hot bottle in his resting place (at night)
  • 3 times a day, ventilate the room

What can I do? Please help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I update in case this can be useful for someone else:
As the bird had hard difficulties to breathe I did finally find a vet who accepted to give me a treatment (Baytril) and it worked very well!
The bird is healthy now.
( I am now looking for a place to take care of him as he acts quite tame and cannot be simply released in the street, especially in the Paris city which is very hostile to pigeons). Thanks a lot for all on this forum whose advices are so helpful and kind!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Thank you for helping him. If you are on Facebook, would see if Palomacy has suggestions. Hope you find him a great home!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts