Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum, and need as much help as i can. I found a pigeon a week ago near my apartment building, i took it in as it had its eyes closed, looked pretty apathic, it could not eat on its own but it could drink water if it identified it.

It had a cough and a sneeze and thought it had a cold.

After 5 days treatment with metronidazole (i thought it was canker as it had a yellow sludge in its mouth, throat), nothing happened. I gave him vitamins, plenty of food, water as much as possible with lemon juice, honey and methil blue(i am from Romania, here we have such a name for it).

Since yesterday, his situation worsened. His breathing is very heavy, heavy coughing, he "whistles" as he tries to breathe, and both eyes are closed. I am very worried for him and care a lot for the little guy. What could it be?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Can you post a photo of the inside of his mouth? What dosage metro did you give? An adult pigeon will need 50 mg once a day for 10 days, sometimes longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: i went to the vet yesterday and she suggested some rodent vitamins (never knew what worked for rabbits and gerbils can make the difference) for the respiratory problem. He is doing ok now, also, she took a sample from his throat yesterday and i should receive the results this week, in order to know for sure what's wrong with him for sure. I am sure it is not canker, and the vet ruled out aspiration pneumonia too, now i bet on ornithosis. We shall see, i'll keep it updated. Also, i will post the treatment plan, maybe it will help someone in need.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Yes, plse let us know the treatment the vet subscribes and also the dosage. There is another thread reg a pigeon with respiratory problems and he is not improving. Your advice can make a difference.

·
Registered
764 Posts
hello. hawks fork our pigeons sometimes with their talons, causing them to gasp for air and sometimes die internal bleeding. if the shock of you hasnt killed it , it may survive disease free. thank you for your good work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, i haven't received the results but here is the treament plan so far.

The doctor gave me RodiCare Pulmo from Alfavet, Viyo (for cats) and a combination of vitamin C and glucose.

0.1 ml of Pulmo combined with 0.4 ml of Viyo and about 0.3-0.4 ml of water - 5 times a day until the Pulmo is finished.

0.5 ml of Viyo every 2 hours or as frequent as possible.

0.5 ml of vitamin c and glucose every day until the result comes in, and after for a period of 1 week.

That is all so far, when i receive the antibiotic plan, i will update. This is a plan that showed significant results on birds, hedgehogs, geckos, lizards and many more, and it is not something official, the vet herself tried it and it worked, so it isn't something from the manuals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This evening, when i arrived home, he was breathing heavily all day, he had food stuck in his throat and he died. I tried my best, i tried blowing air in his beak to no use...

As i said, i am not a pigeon breeder, i just wanted to help some poor souls recover and set them free to be with their own. Rocky, you will be missed, innocent soul.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This evening, when i arrived home, he was breathing heavily all day, he had food stuck in his throat and he died. I tried my best, i tried blowing air in his beak to no use...

As i said, i am not a pigeon breeder, i just wanted to help some poor souls recover and set them free to be with their own. Rocky, you will be missed, innocent soul.
So sorry to hear of the passing of your little pigeon 🕊❤ may he fly free and spread his wings now. I recently tried to rescue and save a young wild pigeon who had severe canker he was doing so well and suddenly passed away at the weekend it still hurts me that he didn't overcome it but just remember that you tried everything you could possibly do and gave him as much love and care before he passed thank you for being there for him and caring as much as you did, I send my condolences to you ❤

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So sorry to hear of the passing of your little pigeon 🕊❤ may he fly free and spread his wings now. I recently tried to rescue and save a young wild pigeon who had severe canker he was doing so well and suddenly passed away at the weekend it still hurts me that he didn't overcome it but just remember that you tried everything you could possibly do and gave him as much love and care before he passed thank you for being there for him and caring as much as you did, I send my condolences to you ❤
Thank you very much! It means a lot now, i have a few pictures of him that i will hold very dear. Right now i am packing all of his things and i am planning to give him a burial.
I believe canker is called "cancer" for pigeons as it eats its way into their system. They indeed go without a warning, and there are no avian vets here as far as i know (or as far as i asked), so i am planning to understand as much as possible in order to avoid a day like today.
I do have another pidgey, his name is Noisy, because he makes a lot of noise, and so far he is ok, he had a wound to his head when i found him, and i took care of it, although he will stay bald i think...i am planning to protect him and learn so that no harm may come to him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you very much! It means a lot now, i have a few pictures of him that i will hold very dear. Right now i am packing all of his things and i am planning to give him a burial.
I believe canker is called "cancer" for pigeons as it eats its way into their system. They indeed go without a warning, and there are no avian vets here as far as i know (or as far as i asked), so i am planning to understand as much as possible in order to avoid a day like today.
I do have another pidgey, his name is Noisy, because he makes a lot of noise, and so far he is ok, he had a wound to his head when i found him, and i took care of it, although he will stay bald i think...i am planning to protect him and learn so that no harm may come to him.
Awww bless that would be lovely ❤ I had to get someone to take me an hours drive to a wildlife centre with the wee guy I had in my care drop him off at the old man's and then an hours drive back home at night I wish I had knowing more about canker and other things that affects pigeons then I could have got him treated straight away the moment I rescued him but at the time I didn't have alot of money to buy medication and I didn't really know what to do so I was calling everyone and only the wee guy was willing to help me without cost just a donation to the wildlife centre and I would rather pay a donation to someone who knows what they are doing and has lots of knowledge about pigeons and other wildlife than me not knowing what I am doing and causing more harm, so like you I am going to educate myself on the birds that live here in Scotland incase I come across any in need of help and also save up and buy the medication to treat most things in pigeons as I feed about 50 a day and exactly at the same time when it's summer they know to come around 4:30pm and in winter it's 8 o'clock in the morning and without a doubt they are there lol it all started with me feeding the small birds then 2 pigeons the next week there about 15 and it just kept going up some only stopping by and others are regulars lol, so I could come across an injured or ill pigeon any day of the week we have very little avian vets also and most ov our wildlife charitys don't really deal with pigeons or crows or squirrels or that because there seen as a nuisance so they would rather put them down than help so that's why I contacted the wee guy at Hessilhead. Awwww noisy that's so cute how old is he, awww what a wee shame well he is lucky to have someone caring find him I hate seeing or hearing people not doing anything to help an animal in need, I'd love to have a pigeon as a pet but my cat would go crazy lol and I wouldn't want to stress neither ov them out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awww bless that would be lovely ❤ I had to get someone to take me an hours drive to a wildlife centre with the wee guy I had in my care drop him off at the old man's and then an hours drive back home at night I wish I had knowing more about canker and other things that affects pigeons then I could have got him treated straight away the moment I rescued him but at the time I didn't have alot of money to buy medication and I didn't really know what to do so I was calling everyone and only the wee guy was willing to help me without cost just a donation to the wildlife centre and I would rather pay a donation to someone who knows what they are doing and has lots of knowledge about pigeons and other wildlife than me not knowing what I am doing and causing more harm, so like you I am going to educate myself on the birds that live here in Scotland incase I come across any in need of help and also save up and buy the medication to treat most things in pigeons as I feed about 50 a day and exactly at the same time when it's summer they know to come around 4:30pm and in winter it's 8 o'clock in the morning and without a doubt they are there lol it all started with me feeding the small birds then 2 pigeons the next week there about 15 and it just kept going up some only stopping by and others are regulars lol, so I could come across an injured or ill pigeon any day of the week we have very little avian vets also and most ov our wildlife charitys don't really deal with pigeons or crows or squirrels or that because there seen as a nuisance so they would rather put them down than help so that's why I contacted the wee guy at Hessilhead. Awwww noisy that's so cute how old is he, awww what a wee shame well he is lucky to have someone caring find him I hate seeing or hearing people not doing anything to help an animal in need, I'd love to have a pigeon as a pet but my cat would go crazy lol and I wouldn't want to stress neither ov them out.
I totally understand you, people treat pigeons, squirells, even wild cats and dogs as nuisances and dont care to feed them, take care of them, no use talking about taking them to a vet.
I do the same thing as you, try to feed pidgeys in balcony each day with a lot of food, and there are about 10-15 that come around each day. One of them, Pico is his name (i think it is a her) was the first i took care of, and he comes around each morning and waits for food. I fear for him, and all of them, because car drivers are merciless, disease even more so, and cats...well, i always hope they are well fed.
We dont have wild reserves for pidgeys here, and the few that still exists try to cope with endangered species, those who want pigeons keep them for racing, and care for their performances. I love them with all my heart and last night when i went for a walk, i saw a couple of pigeys at a window, sleeping, and felt like they need some warmth, but i can't do anything, except for food and water which i will try to make it better for them.
I have to take care of Noisy with everything i have, no matter what.
I had cats too, but before i had any pigeons, and now they are happy and free at my grandmother's house, could not keep them in this small place, they would get bored.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts