Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

as some of you know,i just got a pair of croppers, but one of them has a respitory broplem!!!:eek:

when i breaths it sounds like its lungs, or nostrils are full of mukis. it does not have bad breath,but has a small smell. it does not have any visible signs of canaker,but will treat it for that anyway. what do you give for canker??

any ideas on what i should do??

thanks a bunch,

Kevin

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
It does sound like a respiratory problem. Does the bird show any signs of a discharge from its nostrils, or watery eyes?

You can use Spartrix to treat for canker, or Flagyl.

Does it appear miserable and fluffed up - is it able to eat and drink - what are the bird's poops like?

Probably best to keep the sick one separate for now.

John

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it looks, and feels perfectly fine.shiny feathers very active,not fluffed up, and wooing his female. the breeder said that he started getting it when he was about 1 1/2 months old.. is there anyting that i can feed it medication to get rid of any dust/dirt?

like i said, it looks healthy,but just sounds stuufed up.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
With respiratory signs, you're often going to go with a Tetracycline like Doxycycline, especially with Tyolsin in it (Doxy-T).

Pidgey

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where can i get that???? anybody here have any that i can buy off of?

please i really want to help him!!!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, they're probably not open this time of night but you can give them a call in the morning to see if they have a powdered oxytetracycline product--it's usually marketed as "Terramycin". If you can find one (get the smallest amount you can get, by the way), we can work out dosing instructions for you if you tell us exactly which one you've got.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Here are some feed stores near you that might also have that stuff:

http://www.oneillsfarmsupply.com/

If you find it, it's going to come in some kind of packaging like this:

http://www.duboisdistributors.com/catalog.asp?prodid=538484&showprevnext=1

There's only about 10,000 ways that that stuff comes--they use it for just about every farm animal that there is. Generally, the packages will handle large batches of animals, like a whole feedlot full of pigs, or a bunch of horses, calves, whatever... You're just going to have to measure out a tiny little bit for your bird. Tetracycline powders have a very nasty habit of drawing water, so if you want to keep the rest, you're going to have to find an absolutely airtight container to keep it in.

Pidgey

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks, i just contacted the breeder and am waiting for a reply, but what does this stuff do? i mean is it just a disease preventor or what?

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
It's an antibiotic that will kill certain infections that you tend to especially see when the symptoms are respiratory. It won't help with a viral infection, though.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Just be sure and note that the amount that you actually give the bird will have to be figured out the hard way--there won't be any instructions on the packaging that's going to be accurate for pigeons, especially only one. Just put a post here in this thread with all of the pertinent information that's on the package if you get it--we'll take care of the rest.

Pidgey

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey, the breeder has some so i will pick some up soon, he said that he would measure it for me. thanks a lot,

Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts