Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

MickaCoo Pigeon & Dove Rescue and my blog The Rescue Report were mentioned on this pet website (see it here) and it received this comment (below). Is there anyone that would care to respond? If so, me and the pij would appreciate it.

Comments
You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Hello, I understand your point of view. But as a Milanese city-dweller that lives on the last floor of an historic building, I have to disagree completely with wasting valueble time and resources to help and aid pigeons. Just as you would not rescue or help rats, so you should treat pigeons. They are disease-ridden and has cost me personally thousands of euros to get rid of them and disinfect my roof and home. Not only, but they have been slowly destroying the local bird population, as they multiply and eat all available food.

Posted by: Baggie | January 29, 2010 at 01:38 AM

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Pigeon Flyers have had to learn how to live with "Federal Protected" Hawks
So --You can learn to live with Pigeons

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep. There's a lot of things I've had to learn to live with. Like stupid people for example. Although they get on my nerves a lot, that doesn't mean I'm going to go and kill them off to make my life more pleasant :p LOL.

I posted my long rant of stuff to consider. There's a lot more I could have said in favor of pigeons, but oh well :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I posted my opinion...here is a copy of what I posted from me and Petey!!Baggie, I can appreciate that you may not enjoy pigeon poop on your home. There are very humane ways of discouraging pigeons from nesting or visiting your area.You can look up this information on line.Your attitude in saying that it is a waste of time to aid pigeons is ignorant.Who are you to say what I do with my time and my HEART is a waste of valuable time?If people like us that rescue pigeons (and all animals for that matter) were not around you dear sir or madam would find yourself in a very lonely world, with no compassion in it.You may not understand every living thing, but every living thing deserves to do just that ~ live.I would highly suggest that next time you post your opinion you check what you are saying because as Elizabeth noted pigeons are not disease-ridden.If they were wouldn't you think all of those folks in New York and the UK would be pretty sick, including us rehabbers?So I say again, don't judge others, especially when they are doing something good in the world ~ as this world needs a little more of that whatever the cause.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Tamara2, very well said. Great job. I just got banned from the squirrel board for 3 days because some ignorant person on there suggested a BB gun to get rid of her pigeons. I'm sure they wouldn't have liked if I suggested a BB gun to get rid of Squirrels, but they didn't like what I had to say so I got booted (for 3 days) but probably won't go back EVER. min

·
Registered
193 Posts
Banned for your opinion on not killing an animal? It always amazes me the qualifiers folks will put on animals...like I will rescue and help this animal but another species doesn't deserve any help. If you like squirrels enough to blog and post about them you would think they would like all creatures. Oh well I have yet to figure out people...animals are a piece of cake....people well that is a whole different story. Everyday I am convinced it's us that need saving.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ignorence is just something we have to deal with it seems. Also, I don't know about you, but I would rescue and/or help rats
Absolutely, why do we seem to think we can choose who we help and don't help. They are all just trying to make a living in the world.

XxX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, just about every rescuer has heard at some point that rescuing animals itself is a waste of time and why do we care so much about homeless animals when there are homeless people/cancer patients/starving children/insert other that we should be taking care of first! Blah blah... as if on desperate cause should negate the importance of the rest. I was even criticized for donating to Haiti because it's not my country... ???

And yes, I do rescue and rehome rats, adoption fee/references/home visit and all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quite honestly, as much as I love pigeons and hate people who have rotten attitudes towards certain animals for little to no reason, I don't think rehabbing feral pigeons or any other feral animals is particularly wise. At the very least, I wouldn't want any public funding go to activities like that. Native animals and the enviroment always takes precedence over ferals and invasive species in my books, and I think that rehabbing of native wildlife is lacking in resources even without pigeons. If you release feral pigeons in the wild, I think you might as well do that with feral cats, rats, minks, and raccoon dogs. Or, well, replace those animals with any animals of your choice that were unintelligently introduced to your enviroment by people.

I also don't condone to feeding feral animals of any kind. Feral cats and minks are a major problem here, and I don't think that pigeons deserve any kind of special treatment even if their effect on the enviroment is minimal.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Verp, I respect your right to your particular view, but cannot agree with it in regard to pigeons.

I guess there are those who hold the "conservationist view" of protecting species as a whole, wildlife facilities who will only deal with individuals of certain species ... and people who simply show compassion towards an individual animal in need of help, regardless of species.

Indeed, the (now) feral pigeons were introduced into many countries worldwide - examples of human interference with nature. At some stage in history they were considered "of use" and at a later stage seen as having outlived their usefulness and left to survive if they could - examples of human indifference.

In my view, whether they are native to a particular region or not is irrelevant. They are semi-domesticated for the most part, having an inbred affinity with humankind, and an enforced dependence on man-made habitat. Forget 'species-ism' - they are here, and here through the mistakes, if you like, of our ancestors. They may not be, strictly speaking, native to many shores, but they have certainly become naturalized over centuries. For me, that means they deserve no less compassion than any other animal in need, and certainly not to be made to pay a penalty for the human meddling that 'created' them.

Quite apart from all that, there are people who, however quirky it may seem to the public at large, just happen to like pigeons and want to help them for no more 'scientific' reason than that :).

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Verp, I respect your right to your particular view, but cannot agree with it in regard to pigeons.

I guess there are those who hold the "conservationist view" of protecting species as a whole, wildlife facilities who will only deal with individuals of certain species ... and people who simply show compassion towards an individual animal in need of help, regardless of species.

... They may not be, strictly speaking, native to many shores, but they have certainly become naturalized over centuries. For me, that means they deserve no less compassion than any other animal in need, and certainly not to be made to pay a penalty for the human meddling that 'created' them.
The thing is though, compassion doesn't do things. It's the people who do things. Whether they do it for compassion or hate doesn't really change the results or make what they're doing more or less harmful. Therefore, people are capable of doing very stupid things out of mere compassion. So, the way you speak of compassion like it's a grand gift to the animals themselves is rather strange to me. When it comes to doing things that could affect your surroundings in a very negative way, "lol compassion" is a poor excuse.

Don't get me wrong, I feel compassion towards pigeons. I feel compassion towards feral cats too, but it doesn't help the fact that feral cats are pests that they cause a lot of problems. Similarly, pigeon overpopulation isn't good for anybody, not us or the pigeons. I'm not sure what you do for the birds or what kind of activity you condone to, but I'm seeing a lot of people from two extremes over the net: people who want to decimate the pigeons regardless of the suffering it causes to pigeons, and people who want to save all pigeons regardless of what the birds' effect is to their surroundings.

I think both sides are very thoughtless -- the other side should hate less, the other side should love less, and both sides should know and care more. And no, love and care aren't the same thing.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Verp, you are entitled to your view, and I am entitled to mine. You've made your point, and I've made mine. Debating it is unlikely to change either view.

Certainly, people can do things which appear stupid - or for reasons that may appear stupid - to other people, but then human beings are not always particularly logical in what they do, say or believe.

Me, I give pigeons a little help where and when I can for no more lofty reason than that I like 'em - have done since I first met one 'up close and personal'. Most that have come our way, in fact, have been unreleasable due to disability of one kind or another, and we have provided a safe, permanent home for them. That's our choice, and what others may think of it is not my concern.

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Verp, you are entitled to your view, and I am entitled to mine. You've made your point, and I've made mine. Debating it is unlikely to change either view.
Well, who does that, anyway? Debate for the sake of changing other person's view, that is. I can only imagine that it would be a very depressing thing to be into, because from my experience directly causing a change in someone's point of view and actually being around to see it happen is incredibly rare. There are other merits to debating, the clash of two intelligent minds and the joy of building arguments and counter-arguments, for example. But if you don't want to talk then don't, I guess.

·
Registered
862 Posts

Indeed, the (now) feral pigeons were introduced into many countries worldwide - examples of human interference with nature. At some stage in history they were considered "of use" and at a later stage seen as having outlived their usefulness and left to survive if they could - examples of human indifference.

In my view, whether they are native to a particular region or not is irrelevant. They are semi-domesticated for the most part, having an inbred affinity with humankind, and an enforced dependence on man-made habitat. Forget 'species-ism' - they are here, and here through the mistakes, if you like, of our ancestors. They may not be, strictly speaking, native to many shores, but they have certainly become naturalized over centuries. For me, that means they deserve no less compassion than any other animal in need, and certainly not to be made to pay a penalty for the human meddling that 'created' them.

Quite apart from all that, there are people who, however quirky it may seem to the public at large, just happen to like pigeons and want to help them for no more 'scientific' reason than that :).

John
Very well put John.:)
Kurps

1 - 20 of 63 Posts