Pigeon-Talk banner

Rhapsody & Ovation

Tags
babies
992 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  della 
#1 ·
As of 1 hr ago, both of our last 2 babies have entered this world. Welcome to Wolfwood & Mistwold Loft, little "Rhapsody' & "Ovation".

You guys will have to wait 'till they're a bit older for pictures but - trust me - they pretty much look like newly hatched pigeons (I think you've seen a few :rolleyes:) wearing full length coats of yellow fuzz.

#8 ·
DAMN! I spoke too soon. Just came in from the loft and we have lost one of these 2. I'm pretty sure it was Ovation - the younger and smaller. Trampled, maybe ???? I saw no sign of illness or injury, just curled up talons and outstretched neck. The remaining sib. seems fine but I didn't mess with much as mom & dad were both there and NOT happy. I didn't want to upset them anymore than they already were. I'll check again, later, and figure out which sib. is alive.

I 'spose the good news here is that we are now at an even # of birds. Hadn't sexed these babies yet so don't know the gender-split. If the surviving squab is male - we're golden! If it's female - then we'll just have 2 "spare" hens ... better than having "spare" cockbirds:eek:

#10 ·
It's confirmed - the survivor is Rhapsody...the older of the 2, with open eyes. I've also now learned that the little guy's crop wasn't full last night when Rhapsody's was (I didn't feed last night).

As for "extra cocks" & "nightmares"... As far as Magellan is concerned ... they're ALL "extra" cocks. "ALL the girls ... they're mine! ALL MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!"

Now for the opinion asking... This was Polaris' 2nd clutch (with us) AND the 2nd loss. Luna (Polaris' 1st baby w/ us), was a singleton also with the other egg having been pecked open early on ... and now this. We thought the egg-destruction had been magellan (aka Birdzilla) but maybe not. Or maybe it was Magellan and Polaris just didn't protect it well enough. Do you think this is coincidence or does Mom maybe not know what to do with 2? We're done having babies, anyway, so it really doesn't matter ... just a puzzlement....

#11 ·
What a terrible shame - I am so sorry to hear this.:( While I have no experience of this, and surely others will have, I will throw in what my only pigeon book says. It is called Pigeons and written by Vriends & Erskine. In the section on breeding it states that breeders should remove the first egg in inexperienced hens and replace it once the second egg is laid so that both eggs hatch at roughly the same time. If this doesn't happen and the hen starts sitting straight away, the first egg will hatch 36-48 hours earlier than the second chick. It will be nearly twice the size of the newly hatched second chick and will be stronger and get most of the food. Vriends says: "The second chick will be neglected and may grow up as a runt or die".
As I say, I am not experienced enough to know how likely this is, but as you said that the crop was empty, it may be a possibility. Food for thought (if you'll excuse the unintended pun) anyway. The sad death makes your beautiful pictures even more precious!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.