Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to set me off on an angry rant? Tell me I'm being ridiculous when it comes to my passion. Found this in my email inbox today, in response to my yahoo answers posts.

"Message: So after being defecated on this morning for at least the 10th time while walking my dog during my 6 months in L.A. I came across your post on Answers about how much you love pigeons and dove. Where do you house these 50+ species of dove and pigeon you raise and how on earth could this be a sterile environment? I grew up on a farm in Kansas of close to 1000 acres and the only bird we have ever raised is Chickens and they were free-range around the homestead, not to mention the purpose they served was to be eaten by us when at a mature state. Pigeons serve no purpose other than to be prey for larger more predatory birds, and to defecate on people as they are walking down the sidewalk.

And as for you stating that they are just as much of a pet as a dog or cat is non-sense. Do you have all 50+ of your species vaccinated on a regular basis? Do you have them groomed and washed? If your answer to any of this is no than you are just the crazy bird lady they've portrayed in Hollywood films for decades.

Sorry to come down on you like this but after I read you're ridiculous post supporting pigeons I felt like you were my only line to get to the pigeons directly without curb stomping all of them which you have discretely asked me not to do.

HOW DO YOU AVOID BEING SHAT ON BY PIGEONS OTHER THAN WALKING IN THE STREET? WHICH IS ILLEGAL IN Los Angeles County?

I feel like persuasion from someone who loves them so, would be the only way to keep me from capping these things off 1x1!"

So I said:
"Hello,
First of all I would just like to point out that I don't have 50+ species, but I do have about 100 birds right now.
Are they my pets? Yes, very much so. They are routinely vaccinated against pigeon pox and paramyxovirus. I also have several medications on hand whenever a respiratory infection, other bacteria, or parasites pop up. When the weather is nice, they are given bath water to bathe in, and I add in some bath salts to kill any bugs and condition their feathers. I let them out twice a day to get exercise, and they come inside when I call them.
Pigeons can be raised for food. Squab (baby pigeon) is considered a delicacy. Their eggs can also be eaten the same as chicken, duck, guinea, or goose eggs. I use their feathers in my artwork and their droppings make excellent fertilizer for our garden, being very high in nitrogen. Raising pigeons brings me pleasure, which to me, is all the purpose I need from them. The loft and cages get cleaned out several times a week, and are provided with fresh food and water daily. The loft isn't sterile, but neither is a cat's litter box, a dog lot, or a chicken coop. Even our feces have hordes of e coli and other bacteria. We also have parasites, just like any other animal. I do try to keep everything clean as possible. If it was unhealthy, my birds would show it.
So I'm sorry the feral pigeons are bothering you. They can't chose where they defecate. Just try to stay out from under them? Which is hard, I know.

Becky"

If I had more characters to use in one message, I would have said more, of course :rolleyes: My dad told me to leave it be, but I can't do that, haha.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Atta Girl my wonderful pigeon-talk person with a brain...Good for you...Now don't pay attention to the idiot anymore...good for you.....c.hert-----think about the honey bees coming.....

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Send several of us the E-Mail you received the note from.. We will help you flood their box with answers.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Classy answer, I liked it a lot. I don't think he totally hates pigeons, he just is VERY angry at them today because they pooped on him.
From what I read "between the lines", he's asking you about the birds because he doesn't understand these birds. He wants to, though.
"Sorry to come down on you like this but after I read you're ridiculous post supporting pigeons I felt like you were my only line to get to the pigeons directly without curb stomping all of them which you have discretely asked me not to do."
"I feel like persuasion from someone who loves them so, would be the only way to keep me from capping these things off 1x1!"
Unless he was being ironic, though. It's a possibility. But sounds more like "please give me a reason not to shoot them".
BTW: Flooding him with answers would only make him hate pigeons and pigeon breeders.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You sure answered that great! I don't know if I could have done it. lol

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, flooding him wouldn't do much good. I'll see how my reply goes first, haha. I try my best to educate people about pigeons and doves. This is the first time I've ever been 'bashed' about them though. I am glad that they were respectful enough to come to me about it, rather than put them down publicly (and probably end up with a lot of likeminds agreeing with him, or others really telling him off). I do remember saying something along the lines of "don't hate all pigeons just because a few have gotten on your nerves" a few times, so that may be what he read.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
That is a classic response of someone who is totally un (and) illeducated about pigeons and has limited perspective of ANY and ALL of God's creation.

I pray for those who do not have the gift of passion for these wonderful creatures and feel sorry for what they must be missing in their lives that they have nothing better to do with their time.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Most people consider pigeons as flying rodents. You have to take that into consideration. Most think they are disease ridden, filthy flying vermin.

You did answer it very well. With more class than I would have done.

I am sure this person is now perplexed that you actually do vaccinate your birds. That has to have thrown him for a loop. He probably does not believe it.

There is no getting around that pigeons poop. So does just about every living thing except plants (and even they do probably in a sort of way). What would he do if his infant nephew spit up on him? Or pooped on his car seat? What would he do if he stepped in his dogs doo-doo? Stomp the dog?

·
Registered
115 Posts
like wow, i think you handled it very well, alot better than i would have. don't let people like that throw you for a loop. some folks just don't have the love for birds that we do. you seem to know tons more about pigeons than i do also, smart one you are. keep up the good work and before long you will have everyone in the world loving some pigeons =)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Kiddo,
You surprise me with every post you write. How can someone as young as you show such maturity and poise when you have to answer an adult who shows no common sense:confused:
Daryl

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Becky that guy/girl is a JERK!!!! :mad: And sounds like they are just a very unhappy person.

Your reply was wonderful & intelligent :) I expect nothing less for such a wonderful young woman.

·
Registered
864 Posts
who ever wrote you that message clearly has some issues with wild life. probably not just pigeons but all the wild life in general. those are the type of people that have caused so many species to go exctinct..
and that person is also uneducated...
stupid..
i hate pigeon haters...
and in my 27 years of life, living in the cities i never once ben pooped on by a pigeon. that is a once in a blue moon accident if indeed has happened to anybody...
why cant people just apreciate the fact that this wild bird chose to live with us? wy cnt they just injoy them like i do.. they done bother anybody..
some people are ignorant

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Wow, honestly, at the age of 16, I could have never written such an apt reply, no matter what the topic was, but especially on pigeons :)

One thing, ignorant people should not be avoided :) May be its your reply which is designated to start some machinery running proper in that person's head :)

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
You handled it great, Becky. Maybe some day he will meet THE pigeon which will make him change his mind.

Reti

1 - 20 of 35 Posts