Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well yet again I have got a ring neck dove with disabled legs, and she's breaking my heart just like Sandy did. She can't walk nor move. When she's sitting both the feet are sticking out infront of her and are crossed over. The dilema i'm in is when I pull the joints back to where they should be she seems to be in pain and is extremely uncomfortable. I strapped both legs into position and made her a sponge bed to pull them back and she was going mad, left her in there for 2 day's and she still didn't settle and to make matters worse when I took of the tape I accidently cut a bit of skin, not badly which was the godsend it didn't blead but slight layer. The problem is when I tried the suspended hanging with sandy this was to uncomfortable for her and she died. Birds tend to give up when they are in pain, and I terrified of trying to rectify this. I'm so confused, emotionally drained and really need you guys for support. Oh why can't birds show pain!!!!! I know what I have to do try and really dont' know why writing this in one aspect. I'm going to go up town this morning buy some foam and fishing nets and see what contraption I can come up with. x

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Karen,

I am having a few days off next week, so I would have time to dedicate to her, would you like me to take her? I can collect her this weekend. I don't know what the outcome will be for her, but at least it will spare you the heartache this time.

Cynthia

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, is there any way that you could give her an analgesic for awhile during the first of it to ease the pain? You might also give her some valium to calm her down a bit so she won't fight it as much. The body can heal better, sometimes, if the brain's out to lunch.

Pidgey

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hi Karen,

I know it hurts us when they are in pain and distress, especially when we feel we are not/capable of doing enough to help.

It was very kind of Cynthia to offer to take over your bird's care to relieve you for a while of the stress it is causing you.

If you don't let Cynthia take over for a while, there are harness supports ready made available, here is a link to a seller in the UK.

http://www.everythingforpets.com/category/use.dept.162/

(The link is a good link it was up a little while ago and now down, here is a link to Google cache of the page until it's back up)

http://tinyurl.com/kjwvc

I hope this helps,

Ron

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so very much Cynthia is hopefully going to come over tomorrow :D to see the little one and possibly take it home with her which is such a relief. I do already have one of those harnesses but the problem is she is so small gets into paddy and sticks her head through all the holes and gets wedged :( So pleased going to get a second opinion and support! Thank you means so much to me, really want this little one to make it, sure between me and Cynthia she will be given the best possible chance ever :D Will keep you posted :D x

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
John and I collected Doveling this afternoon, she is absolutely adorable, such a will to live! But her legs are pretty bad.

One leg seems to have some potential for life in it, there is a bit of movement in the foot. The other is a lot worse, the feet are drooping but the feet cross over each other on her chest, so even if she was able to walk she would trip over herself and when the legs are bound they stretch out behind her.

So the challenge is to separate the feet, strengthen her legs to enable her to stand and hopefully take a few steps without the feet dragging behind her. To achieve that will be more than sufficient. Karen has been experementing with different approaches and we will take it from there.

She is in a cage with Ty's Serenity the Dove of Peace, my best purchase so far! As soon as she met Serenity she started preening her and is cuddled up next to her for the night.

Cynthia

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Cynthia,

Sounds like Doveling is quite settled and feeling quite at home with you and the stuffed toy. I'm sure your supportive care and love will benefit her which will enable her to reach her full potential and allow her some quality of life.

Thank you for updating us.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I sure hope Doveling will make great progress. Under your care, I'm sure he/she will!

This is going to be a long haul so there should be lots of updates, whenever you have time to keep us posted!

A MOST HEARTFELT THANKS! SENDING REALLY WARM HEALING THOUGHTS AND HUGS!!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Good luck with this little one. I hope she recovers as much as possible.
Remember my Jane, he lkegs were stretched out and stiff when I got her, she had no feeling or movement in her feet or legs. Well, now she still can't walk, but is good in flying and her legs are curled and twisted, it doesn't seem to bother her one bit though.
I treated her with Baytril, calcium ,vit B every day and twice a week the rest of the vitamins, also all the natural things recommended by Treesa including colloidal silver.

Reti

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Thanks for your good wishes and Reti, I appreciate that reminder about Jane!

Doveling is always very bright, hungry and appreciatve (preening fingers!), but she gets into trouble at the moment when she tries to move, end up with her wings spread out and unable to put them back into position. I was up at leat once an hour last night to put her right. At leat my ears are tuned in to whatever she is doing because I woke up despite the fact that she makes very little noise!

Cynthia

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Good News!!!!!

Karen says that Doveling has been using its beak and wings to drag herself around, she has been beeen giving her calcium syrup and cuttlefish bone to strengthem her muscles and bones. Last night, as a temporary measure, I taped and flattened Doveling's feet between two layers of self adhesive bandage, in an attempt to stop them crossing over each other.

Just now I was watching her and she took a few steps around Serenity ! They were shuffling steps, but both legs moved...then she did the same in the opposite direction, using her wings only once to balance herself haf way through the process.:)

She leant over and preened Serenity at the end of each little walk!

Cynthia

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Jane used to love to sit in her little wooden basket and wasn't moving around much, but when she did she had the same problem, she couldn't straighten herself up, I had to help her.
Some physical therapy will help too and occasionally warm baths, helps relax the muscles.
My vet suggested to PTS Jane cause he thought she would develop pressure sores. So far she didn't, I apply Aloe Vera on her legs and feet and that seems to help. She did form some caluses though, but it doesn't seem to bother her so far.
Will try to post a pic of her.

Reti

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Jane looks so sweet, Reti.

One thing that I have learnt is not to put any animal to sleep because of a vet's prediction of what could happen. Pigeons and doves are so unpredictable.

Harry has only one leg and I think someone predicted that Bumblefoot was inevitable. That has not happened although some years have passed.

I will watch out for pressure sores and do what I can to prevent pressure sores, Doveling's little undercarriage is bare and red so she must have had a lot of friction in the nest or as a result of dried poops.

But I think the fact that doves are so light might work in her favour.

Cynthia

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cynthia, THANK YOU SO MUCH TO YOURSELF AND JOHN :D Really wonderful news with her, please keep me posted, missed her so much when you left, I didn't get to say goodbye properly to her, but didn't want to fuss as know would of had to run to the bathroom for tissue! I know she is in the best possible hands, and Iknow you will do everything you can for her. She is so lucky! So happy that she also has company, really makes a difference to them other than seeing emptyness. Your a wonderful lady and please keep me posted xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Oh, Karen! I was so focussed on the dove I never even thought about giving you a chance to give her a last little cuddle, even though I know how difficultit is to part with a sweet little rescue like her and would have wanted a long last cuddle myself in the same situation. But you will be seeing her again, I hope, as however much she improves she won't be releasable.

John and I were in a bit of a panic last night because her vent area was swollen and red and we started to worry whether she had faeces blocking the cloaca. I made a bun for her, sat her on it and waited. Within a minute there were two large, healthy poops delivered.

Only we (pigeon-life members) could be so delighted to have a pigeon poop!;)

BTW, the coca cola damage to my mobile has left me disconnected from the network, so if you need me can you call me at home?

Cynthia

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So pleased that she's fine i'm not the least bit worried about her although I do pray her legs will become usable, well at least a little would be nice. Yep certainly will be seeing her again, will be giving her an extra large hug when I do :D Got a little empty space but know she is in the best possible hands. Sorry to hear about your mobile, you could alway's try taking out the battery clean up the connections (gold bits on the battery and the phone with a cotton bud) and remove sim card and place the phone in the airing cupboard for a couple of day's, might save it. Yes have your number so will call you, although can't at the moment as my home number is incoming only and dont' have credit at the moment, but will contact you via email and here for now. Thank you again for coming all this way to collect her. Sounds like Doveling has settled well especially with Serenity :D Take care for now and pleased keep me posted with her progress xxxx

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
No real progress on the legs yet, but Doveling can get to where she wants to be without wing walking or using her beak.

Here she is sunbathing with Elvie, who was recovered from my office yesterday, Doveling is in the foreground of the picture.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Well, Doveling is certainly in GREAT hands! I'm sure she will reach her potential!

Thanks for the picture, Cynthia. Future updates eagerly awaited!

BIG GENTLE HUGS and WARM HEALING WISHES TO YOU ALL!!:D

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
First, I must explain.

Doves are nothing like pigeons to handle, they are a mass of feather and bones that goes beserk when restrained. They squirm and lunge and twist, so that it can take absolutely ages to get a foot into position then as you move your hand to pick up a bandage everything falls apart again as the dove flails and struggles and puts itself in danger of breaking a bone.

Karen tried all sorts of supports and restraints, we tried a few together and John and I tried more when we got home, but even when we succeeded in putting evrything together they just didn't work for Doveling who would do frightening things like drag herself along with both legs traiiling flat behind her.

She also seemed to have more than one thing wrong with her. Neither foot had any movement in it, the toes twined together like 4 squid tentacles, but the toes on the left foot were warm and those on the right were cold. Both feet turned inwards and crossed over each other. Her right left was swollen and reddened at the ankle.

Building on what Karen had already done and after a lot of trial and error (including snowshoes!) I decided to try wrapping each foot individually around a pencil thick roll of bandage, so that the foot was effectively in a perch position. That enbled me to strainghten out the toes and to separate the back toe from the lifeless tangle, It also straightened out the feet so that they lay flat on the ground and it kept them separate.

Doveling regularly manages to take off her boots, but amazingly they seem to be working. She can't stand up yet and I don't know if her right foot will ever have life in it, but her both legs are working now and she "walks" on the whole flat of her foot. When she managed to get the bandage off her right foot I noticed that for a moment at least she stood firmly on the foot with all the toes pointing in the right direction. And imagine my joy when I put down a bowl of food for her and she "perched" on the side of the dish!

She and Elvie sit close enough to touch most of the time. Doveling is still being tube fed and has a healthy appetite...when she sees her syringe she hurries to the front of the cage and starts "running" (in her own fashion" up and down at the front of the cage.

She is incredibly precious!

Below is a photo of her "perching" on a ladder, with her little corrective shoes on.

Cynthia

1 - 20 of 49 Posts