Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone who has had the experience of having doves that have hatched babies. i was wondering what was the longest number of days it took. i know that the average is 14 days. i was wondering if anyone had one take longer?
im just curious as this is day 14 and theres no baby.:eek:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I don't really keep track of how long it takes them :eek: But sometimes it can take an extra day for birds to hatch. You can try candling the eggs with a flashlight to see if there's a baby in there. If it's clear, you'll know why there's no baby yet :eek: Another way I can always tell if someone's just a slow hatcher, is by putting the egg up to my ear and gently tapping on it with my fingernail. If you hear the baby peck back, you know he's working on it :p

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
anyone who has had the experience of having doves that have hatched babies. i was wondering what was the longest number of days it took. i know that the average is 14 days. i was wondering if anyone had one take longer?
im just curious as this is day 14 and theres no baby.:eek:
I would give it another week and then you can candle it with a flashlight,sometimes we don't see the little pip hole the chick makes, and it can take a day for them to get out of it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really keep track of how long it takes them :eek: But sometimes it can take an extra day for birds to hatch. You can try candling the eggs with a flashlight to see if there's a baby in there. If it's clear, you'll know why there's no baby yet :eek: Another way I can always tell if someone's just a slow hatcher, is by putting the egg up to my ear and gently tapping on it with my fingernail. If you hear the baby peck back, you know he's working on it :p
there is definitly something in there: i looked a week ago and saw a little black spot and then some veiny things all around. yesterday or the day before (im not sure) i looked and it was completely black except for one white spot at the end. so i am pretty sure that there IS a baby. but i guess i could still be wrong. everywhere i researched says about 14 days so i think if it goes another week then the baby either doesnt exist or is dead.:( i will try the tapping thing here in a little bit. maybe ill discover something. =O

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Hmm...well there's two possible things. One, there's a healthy baby in there, taking its time to get out. Or two, the egg could be rotten :( You can generally tell if it's a bad egg if it's all dark and the air bubble is a normal size, stuck right where it's supposed to be. But if the egg is dark with obvious blood or the egg is all dark, there's a baby.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm...well there's two possible things. One, there's a healthy baby in there, taking its time to get out. Or two, the egg could be rotten :( You can generally tell if it's a bad egg if it's all dark and the air bubble is a normal size, stuck right where it's supposed to be. But if the egg is dark with obvious blood or the egg is all dark, there's a baby.
what is a "normal size" air bubble? there is an air bubble.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Make sure you dont break the egg wile you handle it, as it is on its final stage and the shell is very delicate and thin.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Alright, this might be a little bit hard to explain. I wish I had actual pictures to show you.

Here's a chart of chicken embryo development. The day before hatching, see how there's not much room in the egg that isn't taken up by the chick?

Here's my illustration of a bad egg :p

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think it must be bad. =[ o well maybe next time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!

scratch that!!! there is a baby.:eek: most definitly and it will most likely be hatching today. i pick it up to do the shake thing to see if it sounded like liquid. there was a scratch on the outside. and when i was holding it i could feel movement from the inside. YAY im sooo excited now!!!:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
scratch that!!! there is a baby.:eek: most definitly and it will most likely be hatching today. i pick it up to do the shake thing to see if it sounded like liquid. there was a scratch on the outside. and when i was holding it i could feel movement from the inside. YAY im sooo excited now!!!:D
SHAKE THING!.:eek:...hope it is alright, no shaking, best to leave it alone. and just watch the parents take care of it now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
umm. i didnt shake it hard. BUT you were the one who said to gently shake so you cant say its not called shaking when you said it first. just saying...;)
but thanks for the help:D

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Haha, I know :p Shaking just sounds bad, but I'm sure the baby is fine. Once I shook some fertile eggs as hard as I could (they were only a couple days old) so that they wouldn't develop any further, since I didn't have any dummy eggs around...well....I ended up with two happy, healthy babies :rolleyes:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bad news:( the baby didn't make it it was almost out of the egg but I guess it died in the night I'm not realli sure what happened. I'm sad about this as it would have been my first baby but I guess it wasn't meant to happen. All things happen for a reason right?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The mom was the whole time except for the few seconds I picked it up b4 I realized that it wasn't rotten. I put it back and didn't touch it till this mornign and realized it wasn't alive any more

1 - 20 of 27 Posts