1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in this week's Racing Pigeon Newsletter. What the crap!? :eek:

Robo-pigeon: the pigeon that flies wherever you fancy
Daily Mail

' Nature equipped pigeons with the perfect on-board computer. But homing instinct is no match for technology.

Scientists have used microchips to force pigeons to ignore their inbuilt radars and fly straight up, straight down, left and right.

They claim to have created the world's first remote- control pigeons, saying they can control the birds' minds at the click of a button.

In tests likely to ruffle feathers among pigeon fanciers, scientists implanted microchip receivers into the pigeons' brains.

By sending electronic impulse signals from a computer on the ground, they were able to plot a course and force the pigeons to fly in a chosen direction.

This overrode the birds' natural instinct to fly in a circular route. "It's the first such successful experiment on a pigeon in the world," said chief scientist Professor Su Xuecheng, at the Robot Engineering Technology Research Centre at Shandong University of Science and Technology in China.

"Via a computer, we forced the bird to comply with our commands," he said.

Professor Su and his colleagues claimed to have had similar results with mice in 2005, and had since been improving the devices used in the experiment. It has long been believed that homing pigeons lose their sense of direction during an electrical storm.

Professor Su and his team carefully studied the effects of the weather on pigeons to devise their computer implant.

"We hope the technology could be put into practical use in future," said Professor Su.

Exactly what practical use remains a mystery. Thought control, with its Orwellian overtones, is a sensitive issue, even if limited to pigeons and mice.

The fact that the birds have been developed in China, with its history of oppressing free thinkers, will not be lost on some in scientific circles. Scientific-achievement aside, remotecontrol pigeons would certainly take the fun and skill out of breeding top- class homing pigeons for Britain's thousands of fanciers.

They will be certain to cause a flap among members of the Royal Pigeon Racing Association, which boasts the Queen as patron.

Professor's Su's findings were announced on the day China's state scientific and technological award for 2006 was presented in Beijing.

Chinese president Hu Jintao awarded scientist Li Zhensheng for his achievements in developing drought-resistant wheat.

Professor Su's remote control pigeons didn't get a mention.'

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
And what exactly is the purpose of this?
Wonder what's coming next.

Reti

·
Registered
385 Posts
Now thats just wierd.:mad: I hope it's not true and that we never figure out how to control any living organism's mind.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's insane! Seriously...why is something like this needed...certianly there is no benefit to be had...it's just abuse to me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
this is insane people:eek::mad:! why, exactly do we need to control a pigeon? what if the pigeon runs straight into disaster? if it can't control where it flies than HOW in this world are they going to be able to avoid danger?!?! this is just madness:(:eek:!!!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
These people get paid for this. There was also an experiment with a glow in the dark cat. Can't remember what they injected the cat with.

Once they get the kinks out and get the monkey under control we are next.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i know they get paid for it but why do they come up with such *clears throat* STUPID INVENTIONS:eek:?!?!? being able to control a pigeon for some may be cool, but for us pigeon LOVERS its just plain retarded:mad::eek:!!!

controling mice however..... well just saying they are hard to catch.:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
robot pigeons??

Sadly, like most governments, democratic or otherwise, there are a certain number of these type of scientists employed with the aim of developing incidious weapons that can be used in war, and I am sure any animal they can control, prehaps arm with some type of explosive device, would have much appeal to the "war mongers" who are ruling, especially in a communist country where human and animal rights are not high on their list of priorities. It is very scary, but is a sign of the times in which we live, unfortunately. If they experiment further and find it feasible to use the pigeon in such a way, they will.

·
Registered
224 Posts
it is, or a similar technology is used for robot prosthetics for people as far as i know.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
I want a Robot Scientist with a chip in their brain...and the little hand held control-thing, like for RC Airplanes.

I could just have him or her walk into a wall over and over till I got bored!!

I will write Santa right now on this...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
This really puts off some alarms for me.

Jeez, the more technology advances, the more I feel like I'm being paranoid about this crap. I guess not, since it looks like they're already at thought control. :(

·
Registered
942 Posts
Research is just research...... But the fast straight race course could change racing forever. Just a thought. Then we would have to have bird check for bugs and I’m not talking about mites.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It doesent sound much like total control, or in fact very scientific.
More like a sort of "electronic blinding".
All animals will try to get away from danger.
If the electronic signal is sensed by the brain as coming from all around apart from forward, so it will in fact fly straight.
Or if its brain is detecting the electronic impulses or interference from the left it will fly right, much the same way as "blinkers" are used on horses so they dont see things to the side and therefore travel forward (or whichever way their head is pointed by the rider)
If it did encounter any predators that would also play a part and interfere with its direction as the pigeon would still see the predator and would act to avoid accordingly.

There is in fact a number of good uses that this could be used for, such as urgently getting small quantities of drugs to some inured person in a remote area that would otherwise be inaccessable to as quickly.
But like everyone I would have my doubts about the actual uses they would use it for.

a similar technology is used for robot prosthetics for people as far as i know.
The diference with people is the electronic impulses from the brain are used to control the computer that is connected to the artificial limb, not the other way round.
From way back in the 1930's - 1960's a similar idea was used on humans, where electric convulsive therapy (ECT) was applied to certain parts of the brain to "treat" depression and mental dissorders.

I want a Robot Scientist with a chip in their brain...and the little hand held control-thing, like for RC Airplanes.
I could just have him or her walk into a wall over and over till I got bored!!
LOL The governments already have them, working on how to control pigeons :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thought control, with its Orwellian overtones, is a sensitive issue, even if limited to pigeons and mice.

The fact that the birds have been developed in China, with its history of oppressing free thinkers, will not be lost on some in scientific circles.[/I]
Well, isn't that horrific.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts