Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, First time poster...

So, I've had this pigeon visit my house for a number of years (perhaps 5 or so? Maybe more). It's left eye was always dilated incorrectly and obviously it never saw very much detail out of it (possibly blurred shadows at best). I've been hand feeding it almost daily since. Since he had less than optimal eye sight I always gave him special treatment over the other wild ones that visit my backyard (him, another one with 1 bad eye but female and a younger one who I saved as a fledgling).

4 days ago I saw him and noticed it's left eye was obviously damaged (thankfully not his one good eye). It also seemed to have injuries on both sides of just below his neck (ruffled out of place feathers... but not bleeding). He seemed dazed and not himself. Not bothering to scrum with the other wild pigeons when I tried to throw him some seed. I was considering catching him to put into a cage setup I have in a shed, but he flew off before I had the chance.

There is a hawk in my area... has been for many years. I assume his injuries were from an attack from that and he managed to escape.

The next day he didn't show up at all. Which is very unusual for him. I thought perhaps he didn't make it home or was unable to sleep up in a tree overnight and a predator got him on the ground. But then to my surprise he showed up yesterday. Still obviously dazed and out of sorts... acting weirdly. He wouldn't go for seed, but he did take bread balls from my hand. I fed him up as much as possible and then used the opportunity to grab him and put him into the cage I had. He fought like hell, VERY strong and healthy still from years of good eating. Despite trusting me, I've never grabbed him before and he obviously did not like it.

Set him up with water, a shoe box (one side cut out) with some padding, and a variety of different sized seed in case with one eye the small stuff was too difficult. He seemed pretty angry at me for abusing the trust he had in me all these years.

Anyway, he didn't eat for a bit. But now seems to be eating. Survival instinct kicking in. He wants out obviously, but now I can see the injured eye properly it looks pretty bad. No doubt whatever vision he used to have is gone. It looks like the top eyelid had been completely removed and is just not there at all anymore. The jelly underneath is just a red and white blobby mess. It is leaking a clear watery substance less than a centimeter from below the eye socket ... could be just tears from the inability to blink or it could be a sign of infection, it's hard to tell. But the liquid definitely is not thick or white or yellow or leaking excessively.

Now that the "dazed" thing has seemingly passed. He doesn't not appear to be getting weaker or lethargic and is eating and drinking (and pooing) a lot. He just looks super angry and annoyed and obviously wants me to let him out whenever I go in there to clean out his cage and change water and food. But the eye looks really sore and swollen and painful and wet. The neck injuries however do appear to be healing.

Basically my problem is that I don't know what to do now. Other than giving him a place to heal that is safe and clean. Daily fresh water and food... I'm kind of limited.

Where I live in South Australia... firstly Avian Vets are very few and far between (ridiculously so). 99.9999999% treat dogs and cats and rabbits etc and that is pretty much it. Not that it matters because even the Avian Vets here only treat natives and things like chickens or certain household bird pets. They simply refuse to treat non-native feral birds here completely and absolutely anyway... if you are willing to pay for it or not. The best they offer is to "put them down" (even if they can easily recover). They just don't care at all about Rock Pigeons here at all anymore. 5 years ago they would treat them if you offered to pay for it... now they don't even do that. No surgeries, no medications, not even a "checkup and advice"... literally nothing. They just turn you away at the front desk with a "sorry we can't help you" (unless you want it put to sleep).

I'm mainly worried about infection at this point. I don't want him to die over something so stupid and preventable (or in pain). But with severely limited access to professional advice, animal medications, or analysis of his actual condition... I'm a bit stuck.

Basically I'm writing just to get any advice to increase his chances of survival, reduction in pain, eventual recovery and release... for a person without any access to traditional pet expertise or vet written prescription medications.

Any advice anyone has I would be grateful...

Thank you
Jake

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
There is an Australian Facebook group: Pigeon Rescue Contacts Australia Wide. He will need antibiotics for infection and I don't think you will be able to get this from a pharmacy in your country. You can try another group on FB: Palomacy Help Group for Pigeon and Dove rescue. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
could you post a picture of the pigeon (specifically eye)? If the pigeon isn't dead and doesn't have any other noticeable injuries the it's possible it wasn't a hawk but maybe a rat or a fight with another pigeon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts